copy area of textures on walls

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

mannixs

copy area of textures on walls

Post by mannixs » 22 Apr 2006 10:14

Hello - at the moment I'm working on how to texture tiles. My problem is, that I can't find a function to copy areas of textures from one wall to another.

Assume that you have textured an area of a wall (say 5x4 64bit tiles). Is it possible to copy these area of tiles (5x4) to another part of another wall of the same room to prevent texturing the same kind of area again?

I found how to do this with floor tiles but that doesn't work with wall tiles.

Some ideas? Thanks in advance!

trplayer

Post by trplayer » 22 Apr 2006 10:37

I didn't even know you could copy textures, but frankly I'm not sure why you would want to. You will have much better results if you place each and every texture with care and concern (I usually don't... and that's why no one's playin' my level :-P).

Jon
————Review my level if you have played it! Review levels @ trle.net————

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 22 Apr 2006 14:39

Mannixs, please tell, how you did with the floor tiles. In return I will gladly experiment on with the walls and tell you of my results.

mannixs

How to copy texture of floor tiles

Post by mannixs » 22 Apr 2006 15:13

Hello Fluen,
nice that you want to support my experiments that are till now unsuccessful. Possible copying of floor tiles seems to be an accident by the tool.

How I did it:
Texture some area on the floor. Perhaps a 3x3 area of tiles. With <face edit> on you see the textures. Remember the place of the area and switch <face edit> off. Mark the tiles with Right Mouse Button and Drag. Make copy <Ctrl-C>. Then mark the destination area elsewhere on the floor with Right Mouse Button and Drag. Perform paste <Ctrl-V>. Last but not least switch <face edit> on and you can see the copied textures.

Unfortunatelly this also copies the ceiling together with the floors :-(

Floors are often the same and easier to put texture on. But a wall is much more complicated to texture and some rooms should be symmetric. A copy function would help to save time. As copy always do!

kind regards mannixs

GeorgeMaciver
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by GeorgeMaciver » 22 Apr 2006 16:14

That's an intriguing find with the copy and paste keyboard command! I must experiment with that :D

mannixs

Post by mannixs » 22 Apr 2006 17:06

Hello GeorgeMaciver - what an honour 8)

Using the keyboard commands <Ctrl-C> and <Ctrl-V> is only a short cut for the menu items of <Edit/Cut> and <Edit/Paste>. It also works with the menu items. As described in the manual <Edit/Cut> is not really a cut but more a <Copy>.

Much success to your experiments :-P and have fun :D

MagPlus

Post by MagPlus » 23 Apr 2006 09:43

The keyboard shortcuts act the same way as the [CUT] and [PASTE] buttons in the "Editor Window Buttons" :wink:

This function is for copying AREAS of a room, and not only textures (see manual page 25). So, if there's a "wall" or "column" (green button) in the area, it will be copied too with all the textures aound it. Unfortunately the walls around the room are copied with some bugs. Thus, to copy walls, you must select the 1st floor tiles close to it.

For example, create a room 5x5 and texture it (floor, ceiling and walls), select all the 5x5 tiles of the floor and press [CUT]. Create a new room 5x5, select the 5x5 tiles of this new one, and press [PASTE]. You'll see that some walls textures are also copied (apparently only north and west walls). Strange... :roll:

Well, winroomedit has many bugs in geometrical functions, such as "mirror", "rotate", "flip", "cut" and "paste". Experience them to see how textures are copied or moved :wink:

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 13 May 2006 13:52

I have been tampering a bit and have come up with something. Alas, it is not a shortcut for copying textures, but to quicken the placing of tiles, use the right mouse button.

Maybe you have already worked this one out for yourself, but then someone else may find this information valuable.

When you press the right mouse button and run the mouse along a wall (or as far as you want it on that wall), the whole wall will be marked, but only the row you ran your mouse along will be textured with the active tile.

The textures will be facing the standard way, so you will have to turn the textures the way you want them. On walls you only texture a row at a time, but on floors you can texture squares by running the mouse diagonally while pressing the right mouse button.

The right mouse button trick also works, if the only a part of the active tile is used:

joshfoote

Post by joshfoote » 13 May 2006 16:14

useing ctrl c is a handy tip, when i first started using it, it greatly increased the speed of my room making, its also a lot quicker to use "a" and "q" to do floor up and down same with celling "w" and "s" its quiker than clicking the buttons anyway, glad someone thought to post a topic like this :D