flame emitters

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Larry B

flame emitters

Post by Larry B » 25 Jun 2005 02:22

In an old room, I added 2 flame emitter 2's and one flame emitter, set normal triggers, and they do not light. Iv'e replaced triggers, emitters and triggers and still no light. No clue.

Tony Tomb
Mod
Mod

Post by Tony Tomb » 25 Jun 2005 03:55

How big is your level? How many emitters do you have already in the level? If you already have lots of emitters in the level try antitriggering some of them that are no longer needed. If this doesn't work it may be time to split the level.

Tomb Raider Fan

Post by Tomb Raider Fan » 28 Jun 2005 16:08

It may seem too simple, but try restarting your computer. I've experienced problems like this before. You just have to restart you machine.

Like Tony Tomb said, check how many flame emitters you have in your level. If you don't no how to do this, go into the graphics/wads folder and click on your wad.txt file. It tells you how many flame emitters are present in the level. If it is over 28 then anti-trigger some of them that are longer needed or Lara isn't going to visit anymore.

Also when you trigger the flame emitters, make sure they are not triggered on an anti-trigger square. This will make them anti-triggered before they are triggered.

Yuo could try re-building your wad. Just copy all your items one bye one into a blank wad then save it. That might work.
Currently Building: The Lost Soul Of Maria
Currently Playing: Recommend me something

Tomb - Raider - Fan

Larry B

Post by Larry B » 28 Jun 2005 20:11

I didn't know there was a 28 limit. Thanks. And thats what it was, to many flames, had the flare bug to which was my clue. I will anti-trigger, Thanks all.

Tomb Raider Fan

Post by Tomb Raider Fan » 28 Jun 2005 21:07

Yeah the limit is 28. You can have more, you've just got to make sure that no more than 28 are active at one time.

Tomb - Raider - Fan

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 28 Jun 2005 21:31

Actually the limit is 32 :wink:
Also - feel free to browse through the resource thread, which might have a couple of useful links :hello:

Larry B

Post by Larry B » 01 Jul 2005 23:19

Spoke to soon. I have 24 total now and the new ones still won't light.

Tomb Raider Fan

Post by Tomb Raider Fan » 01 Jul 2005 23:42

Have you tried anti-triggering the flame emitters that arn't in use. Also, you may have too many lights in your level. Go through the rooms deleting unwanted lights.

Tomb - Raider - Fan

Anurag

Post by Anurag » 06 Jul 2005 18:21

Hey guys I have finally started building.

So my problem goes like this I have placed 4 flame emitters which are trigered (i.e burning), now I want to antitrigger all the flame emitters by flipping only one switch ( i.e all the flames are burning & when I flip a switch all 4 flames are extinguished.

How do I achieve this.

Plus how do I make a flame emitter to burn & extinguish repeatedly with a 2 or 3 second break.
Learning the tricks of the trade ... Shall unleash once I am ready :)
Currently working on : VCI HQ - Unfinished Business -> 5% Done (Currently Shelved :D)
My Walkthroughs For Custom Levels

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 06 Jul 2005 20:13

Anurag wrote:Hey guys I have finally started building.

So my problem goes like this I have placed 4 flame emitters which are trigered (i.e burning), now I want to antitrigger all the flame emitters by flipping only one switch ( i.e all the flames are burning & when I flip a switch all 4 flames are extinguished.

How do I achieve this.

Plus how do I make a flame emitter to burn & extinguish repeatedly with a 2 or 3 second break.
You can try a version of the "rolling ball" trick for the emiters. I use this in my level to antitrigger 6 moving blocks at the same time. If you do it with one ball rolling down a slope using heavy antitriggers, they will not stop at the same time... so you use 4 ball, each heavy antitriggering one emiter and trigger all 4 balls to the switch. It should work with the emiters too I guess. No idea if there are easier ways of doing this but this worked for me!

For the flame, try -1 on the OCB.

Tell me if its working or if you are not familiar with the rolling ball trick (or something else for that matter :D )

Good luck!

eRIC
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by eRIC » 07 Jul 2005 13:04

There is the easy way :biggrin:
Just Stack 4 TRIGGERs (one for each of the fire_emitters) on the SWITCH trigger sqaure and when you flip the switch , fires will be off :smile:

trplayer

Post by trplayer » 08 Jul 2005 02:14

Um... when using the rolling ball trick, I think you can just place one HeavyAntiTrigger for one flame, and then regular triggers for the rest... all on the same square. This way you only need one ball.

Of course, in this case, like eRIC said, it would be easier just placing triggers under the switch.
————Review my level if you have played it! Review levels @ trle.net————

Tony Tomb
Mod
Mod

Post by Tony Tomb » 09 Jul 2005 00:04

Anurag wrote: Plus how do I make a flame emitter to burn & extinguish repeatedly with a 2 or 3 second break.
There is a link to a whole list of possible flame emitter ocb's at the very top of the resource thread. Plus Etux recently just created a great list of new links there as well. :2thumbsup:

Good luck with your level Anurag. :)

Anurag

Post by Anurag » 10 Jul 2005 12:34

Thanks guys the rolling ball trick worked fine for me.

But I would like to now one more thing if I want a long flame which Lara cant jump, then which flame emitter should I use & with what OCB, also where should I place the flame emitter.

Currently I have made a portal & a 1 click deep room beneath the place where I want the flame ( Just as taught in the tutorial), but it is not working the fire will burn Lara only if she is on ground, while Lara can jump over the flame, ie the flame is not high enough

and thanks Tony Tomb I checked out the resource thread its way to cool.
Learning the tricks of the trade ... Shall unleash once I am ready :)
Currently working on : VCI HQ - Unfinished Business -> 5% Done (Currently Shelved :D)
My Walkthroughs For Custom Levels

Tony Tomb
Mod
Mod

Post by Tony Tomb » 10 Jul 2005 16:21

Use the "flame emitter" not flame emitter2 or 3. If you want a tall flame make it a vertical flame. I believe typing -25 in the emitters ocb will create a continuous vertical flame if that is what you wanted. You'll have to experiment with the height of the floor around the flame cause they shoot up fairly high. Lara will not be able to jump it if she's on the same level as the emitter. You could also try a vertical flame that goes off and on.
Anyhow if you check the emitter ocbs in the resource thread, almost at the end there is a fairly concise list of both vertical and horizontal flames.

Sorry. Apparently ocb-25 does not create a (continuous) vertical flame.
If anyone knows of one let us know thanks.