The Resource Thread

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Tony Tomb
Mod
Mod

The Resource Thread

Post by Tony Tomb » 26 Mar 2005 04:28

I thought it would be a good idea to start a resource thread for builders. Tutorial, hints and tips, ocbs and the like. Anything that isn't readily available in the TRLE manual. So I hope to see lots of builders adding to the thread. When I have time I will add more links to past relevent threads.

General

The original manual in different languages
TRLE Tutorials v2 in PDF format produced by Elen (various authors)
Uvavoo's Data Sheets
Various handy stuff, compiled by Storm Chaser - see one of Storm Chasers replies, well duh!
Tomb Raider Chronicles (TRC) wads for use of the editor - see end of thread for download link
Using the DOZY flycheat

Within the room editor

How to set up flowing verses (ala end credits and so on)
How to set up invisible ledges as seen in TR3's "Temple Ruins" - see Yasin's reply
How to add collision to static object within the editor (ala the dining table in Lara's mansion)
How to make Lara look at an object
How to create a reflective floor effect

How *.prj (project) files get corrupted (added 16/09/06)
How to fix the shaking rollingball issue
Split second cameras and possible causes and fixes
How to make fly-by cameras stop for a set time
Transparency colour on objects and textures
Flickering environments/blackness issue

Objects & Triggers

TR4 OCB (object code bits) list (added 16/09/06)
List of flipeffects (added: 23/04/06)
Flame Emitter OCB's
Opening 1 door with multiple switches
How to set up the 3 button and 6 door puzzle as seen in TR4's "Underneath the sphinx"

How to set up the ninja fight as seen in the beginning of TR4's "Valley of the Kings"
How to get the scales to work...
Setting up, and using the zipline repeatedly
Getting the lightning conductor from TR4's "Street Bazaar" to work - see Magplus' reply
Setting up the twoblock_platform object (elevator of catacombs wad)

Basic understanding of Mesh-swaps
Antitriggering (any) enemies
Basic understanding of the MIP objects
Pulley switches (pullable chains, as in TR4's "The Tomb of Seth" and more...)
The flare bug

Script

Complete TR4 Scripts+
Setting up/fixing missing loading screens
Changing the sky colour
Basic understanding of ResetHUB script line - handy for those having a level series, longer than 7 levels in a row
Distance fog effects on PC's - look at the end of the thread for solution

Sounds & audio tracks

Changing background's looping audio track while ingame
Changing the background audio track that's used in the jeep ride
Audio and sound format - Thread 1 - Thread 2

Error Messages and Troubleshooting
Fixing broken Projects due to Arg List + PCX error by Yasin

See posts below for more:
Last edited by Tony Tomb on 21 Dec 2005 16:14, edited 13 times in total.

Tony Tomb
Mod
Mod

The Resource Thread

Post by Tony Tomb » 26 Mar 2005 04:32

Burning Torch<p>Set up for opening a door with the burning torch and two flame emitters2.<p>Place the flame emitters where you want them.<br>1st emitter: press "O" to bring up it's ocb menu and press buttons 1 , 2, & 3. Close menu.<br>2nd emitter: press buttons 4 & 5 in the ocb menu.<p>In this case the emitters themselves are NOT triggered. <p>Now place your door and while it is selected call up the trigger window.<br>Select 'heavy switch' as the trigger type & press buttons 4 & 5 to turn them off (they go grey in off postion) So with buttons 1, 2, & 3 on (black) place this trigger under the 1st emitter with the same ocb numbers.<br>Select the door again and create the trigger the same way, accept now buttons 1, 2, 3, should be off, and buttons 4 & 5 are on. Place this trigger under the 2nd emitter.<p>Don't forget to place a lit emitter somewhere in the level to light the torch, and also keep in mind that while carrying the torch Lara's movement abilities are reduced i.e. she can't pull herself up with torch in hand. So make sure the player can bring the torch to where it is needed.

Tony Tomb
Mod
Mod

The Resource Thread

Post by Tony Tomb » 26 Mar 2005 04:35

An Introduction To Sinks - What I have dicovered recently while playing around with sinks.<p>The sink is an object found in the effects drop down menu. It is used to create<br>currents in water.<p>*The most important thing to remember about sinks is that water always flows<br>from the trigger to the sink object.<p>Scenario 1: Using sinks to draw Lara away with the current.<p>Lets say you have a river running east/west. And it is 4 squares wide and (any#) squares long.<br>Lara is at the east end of the river. We'll create a current that pulls her to the west side of the river. Place the first sink around about the middle of the river, place the trigger for the sink say 3 to 6 squares away toward Lara. Because the river is four squares wide make the trigger go right across the width of the river or Lara can simpley swim around the trigger. You can give different strengths to the sinks by selecting the sink and press "O", and press one of the numbered buttons(ocb). Start off gradual so press button 2 or 4. (NOTE* If you press more then one button these will be added together to make a stronger current for the sink.)<p>Now place another sink one or two squares behind the first one (heading west away from Lara), press 2+4 in the ocb. Now place the trigger for this sink right beside the first trigger,also heading west away from Lara. (If you leave gaps between the rows of triggers you will have gaps in the flow of water). Instead of just one row make it two rows of squares for this second trigger. So if you can picture it, what you are creating in effect is a wall of triggers that Lara swims over which triggers sinks ahead of her that pull her along. Continue placing sinks and rows of adjacent triggers, and slowly build up the strength. Putting a 16 or greater in the ocb of the sink will pull Lara along at a fast pace,and she will also not be able to swim back to the east end of the river once caught in the strong current. Once you have Lara close to where you want her, continue with weaker sinks until gradually you have none left and the current is finished. Experiment with distance of sink from its trigger. If the sink is far from the trigger the current won't be very strong. <p>*Note: Placing a sink on the floor of the river will draw Lara downward. Placing the sink toward the top of the water will drag Lara more or less along the top of the water.<p>Scenario 2: Using sinks to prevent Lara from swimming into an area of water. This is useful for <br> example: for edge of world areas like Eidos did in Coastal level, or to prevent Lara<br> from accessing a certain area for gameplay reasons.<p>With the same river in mind. But this time we'll prevent Lara from swimming to the west end of the river. The sinks and the triggers are set up pretty much the same way as above, except this time the sinks are placed near or behind where Lara has access to the water (east end of the river) so that when she swims toward the west end of the river, she swims over triggers which trigger sinks that are behind her...thus pulling her away from the desired destination. If the first sinks are not very strong Lara will be able to swim against the current for a short while. But as she triggers stronger sinks she will no longer make any progress and will be pulled backwards once more.<p><br>Scenario 3: Sinks can also be used to pull Lara into traps. <p>For this simplified example use a square water room say 5X5 squares, fairly shallow, say 6 to 8 clicks high. Underneath stack a room say 1X3 and about four clicks high. Connect the rooms and in the lower room place some spikes along the floor with simple triggers, and place some sinks with fairly strong settings. On the floor immediately under the opening to the top room place a trigger and a sink with a strong setting (16+) so that if Lara swims over the opening above she is sucked down into the spiked traps. In the upper room around the opening to the trapped room you could place triggers for weaker sinks as a warning. <p>Obviously these scenarios are rather basic, so experiment. Just remember that water flows from the trigger to the sink object.<br> <p> <br>

Tony Tomb
Mod
Mod

Post by Tony Tomb » 01 May 2005 15:34

Written by Driber and originally submitted to Lara's Home by Bojrkraider.
Features:
- How to open a door by inserting two keys.
Place a door and 2 keyholes on a wall.
Select the first keyhole and then select the square in front of the wall of the first keyhole.
Click the trigger button and open the set trigger type window.
Click on the type text box and select key.
Switch off button 3,4 and 5
Do the same for keyhole 2 using the square in front of the wall of the second keyhole and this time switch off the buttons 1 and 2 in the set trigger type window.
Select the door and then select the square in front of the wall of the first keyhole and make a normal trigger.
Select the door again and select the trigger square in front of the wall of the second keyhole and make another normal trigger.
Place the 2 keys somewhere.
Now you're all set and you will see that the door only opens when both keys are inserted.
:idea:

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 02 May 2005 20:16

Remote Switching - useful for beginners

To enable a trigger to trigger several things on at once you can use rolling balls as remote triggers. This is good for triggering cameras and targets as the editor usually says you cannot overwrite triggers for this function.

Build a trigger room of say 15 x 4 and on the short way build a steep slope and at the bottom of the slope a pit. Place the rolling balls on the top row.

Now say you want to open a door and trigger a timed camera and camera target all at the same time.

Place two rolling balls and trigger them from the key or whatever Lara has to do. 1 tile below the ball put a heavy trigger for the camera and set the timer to say 5. On the next ball also set a heavy trigger for the target 1 tile below and set the target timer to 5 ( don't forget to set the object type as target). Set the door trigger on the Lara trigger. The end result is that when the door opens you will see the door open via the camera for 5 seconds. Obviously you can use this setup to trigger anything you like. The pit is to catch the balls and prevent any strange things happening.

Tony Tomb
Mod
Mod

Post by Tony Tomb » 31 Jul 2005 08:44

Here is a clear concise tutorial on using the mirror effect.
Originally posted by Ess Gee at Lara's Home

MIRROR EFFECT
Mirror effect will work in rooms which are one beside other. Example:
Room number 6, where Lara walks in, room number 7, where Lara sees reflection of herself.
Mirror room (number 7) must be on the left of first room (number 6).
1. Make first room (number 6) and texture it.
2. Mark whole room and click button on the left "Copy room" (now you have room number 7).
3. When in room 7 from menu above click "Room" and choose "Mirror". Now is the second room exactly the same as first room except it is mirrored.
4. Place second room (room number 7) on the left of first room (room number 6). Connect rooms where mirror should be with transparent texture.
Changes in script:
Click in room number 6 in first upper left corner. Down in editor you will see the Room value X and Y. For example X=45. Open scientific calculator and enter value 46 (add one to X number = 45 + 1). 46 multiply 1024 (46 x 1024 = 47104). Then in calculator click button Hex and in this example you will get B800.
After puzzles add new line in script:
Mirror= 6,$B800
6 is number of first room, where Lara enter, comma, letter $ and your Hex value.
Click English Script.bat to convert the script.

Tony Tomb
Mod
Mod

Post by Tony Tomb » 26 Aug 2005 15:38

Written by Data

The FIVE Pushable Objects setup
In order to open a door using five pushable objects which all have to be on their correct respective square, follow this tutorial.
Add pushable objects to your wad using TRwest or WADmerger, making five in total
pushable object 1
pushable object 2
pushable object 3
pushable object 4
pushable object 5
They can all be differently shaped objects or all look the same; it does not matter, however it may be useful to texture each one slightly differently (using STRpix)
To set up five triggers to open a door; Click on the door to select it and then select the square(s) where you wish to trigger the door from. Because there are five triggers they have to be set up using the bit codes in the following way:
Set the first trigger as a 'heavyswitch' and set the bit code to 1 (all other bit codes 2-5 should be on the off position)
select the door again,
Set the second trigger as a 'heavyswitch' and set the bit code to 2 (again all other bit codes off)
select the door again,
Set the third trigger as a 'heavyswitch' and set the bit code to 3 (again all other bit codes off)
select the door again,
Set the fourth trigger as a 'heavyswitch' and set the bit code to 4 (again all other bit codes off)
select the door again,
Set the fifth trigger as a 'heavyswitch' and set the bit code to 5 ( again all other bit codes off)
Now set up the OCB in the following way
In the OCB for the first object, press button 1 and enter 1 in the value and press return
In the OCB for the second object, press button 2 and enter 2 in the value and press return
In the OCB for the third object, press button 3 and enter 3 in the value and press return
In the OCB for the fourth object, press button 4 and enter 4 in the value and press return
In the OCB for the fifth object, press button 5 and enter 5 in the value and press return
The outcome of this setup should result in a pushable object puzzle where the player has to ensure that each object ends up on its correct square.

piega

Post by piega » 02 Jan 2008 11:01

Because the topic is long cause of the shots I made a separate topic of a Meta tutorial of a lantern. I did not know where to put it first. Click here to get there:

http://www.trle-community.net/viewtopic ... 973#416973

mugs
Admin
Admin

Re: The Resource Thread

Post by mugs » 21 Aug 2015 14:49

Please note that Michael has added a link to the tutorials that were hosted by Skribblerz in the past and now reside at the TombraidersForum. Here's a pic of where you can find the link:
Attachments
trle.jpg
Of doggie candle fame!

Greywolf

Post by Greywolf » 23 Jun 2016 16:43

Hi. I've just upload on my website many objects and the demi-elf Lara I used for "The Secret Of The Forbidden Town" and other fantasy level (sorry, my account on trle search engine is not active yet! :beadyeyes: ).
You can download all these here: http://greywolf.altervista.org/fantasy_stuff.zip or from this page: http://greywolf.altervista.org/fantasy_stuff_en.html

I know many level builders and players love fantasy levels and, when I decided to build something like "The Secret Of The Forbidden Town", I realized it was a way to introduce a demi-elf protagonist (she can use charms and bow and arrow instead guns) and an entire world (where many races live all toghether, not always in a pacific or friendly way), the "Forgotten World", where all level builders can locate new fantasy levels (and it's a complete world to create!).

I realize that in my loooong level showed too many and too long videos and cutscenes ( :sleeping2: ), there were some bugs nether me nor my testers noticed (even after a very long and hard testing) and any other inconveniences. I apologize for all these. :(
But I think many level builders now can use all my "stuff" and make very nice levels. :2thumbsup:
I love deadlines, I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by. (Douglas Adams)

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 23 Nov 2016 23:40

One for the OCB list of flame emitters
When you have a flame emitter in a dark place, the light of it can shine through a wall to where you maybe don't want it
Put 255 in the OCB of the emitter and the light should only visible in the room where you placed it.