voice, soundtrack, load screen parameters

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 20 May 2004 23:43

I would like to make a wav. file where I am reciting a poem describing Valeria Messalina. Can someone tell me how to record my voice and put it in a .wav file? <br>I would also like to put some background music from the movie "Elizabeth", but I don't know if it's legal to do so or not. Since my manual is a little bit incomplete (some pages are missing because there are technical errors in the manual, according to Adobe Acrobat 3.0 on Windows 95 and Adobe Acrobat 4.0 on Windows 98 ), I would like to know how to put load screen parameters in the script (my objective is to show Valeria Messalina staring at the player. In case you're wondering how the black load screen was replaced by something else in my first level, Rapetou helped me replace the black load screen). I have only made four rooms (in April, when I had a lot of free time), but I am getting a lot of ideas right now. Hopefully (?), this will be the last abomination I will make because I have realized that my kind of levels won't please anyone (or a little bit, especially since there are far better levels out there) and that a tiny error (eg. one insignificant thin wall) that was left for a good reason (eg. I needed to leave a paper-thin wall in order to make the player jump on a platform that would close a door in the room adjacent to the pushable block puzzle room) would be considered a big problem to some (in fact, there would be an exaggeration, saying that there are paper-thin walls everywhere, for example). Once again, it may be the last one, especially since I have the impression that my efforts amount to nothing.
Last edited by Hitsumei on 02 Aug 2006 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

uvavoo

Post by uvavoo » 21 May 2004 03:01

I believe you can use the application Sound Recorder which comes with most PC's. You will need a microphone of course. Press the record button and recite your poem. The recording then needs to be saved as a .wav file in a specific format. (I forget for the moment, I will post again tomorrow with the correct format). You need to save it in the audio folder of the TRLE under a spare audio number 021.wav for example.<br>Load screen coordinates. You can get these by pressing F1 in game when you come to a suitable scene and note down the numbers which appear in the top left corner of the screen. Transfer these loadscreen coordinates to the script text file and create the new script.dat files. I am not sure if the Valleria character is the main Lara character or not. If it is you would have to create a kind of duplicate static of the object as Lara won't appear in a load screen. <br>Finally, a bit of friendly advice. Don't take this level building too seriously. It is only a bit of fun after all. It is not important enough to make anyone ill. And don't underestimate yourself. How do you know people won't like your levels? We all have to start somewhere. Be patient and you will soon become the next Richard Lawther!<br>Take care.

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 21 May 2004 03:29

Thank you for your help. Valeria isn't Lara. She will actually be mistaken for Agrippina the Younger because she had enough cunning to outlive Valeria (Agrippina was an evil woman too, but her actions weren't as diabolical as Valeria's. So, I decided to call my level "Valeria Messalina's Lair" instead of "Agrippina the Younger's Lair").<br>However, I still don't know whether I can use background music from the movie "Elizabeth" or not.<p>Concerning my level, it got 5.17 on this site [and 6,5 on TRO. Two stars are the equivalent of a mention "assez bien" in the Baccalaureat (ie 6,5/10)]. I have just read some reviews from Lara's Levelbase, where most of the reviewers despised my level, and one person cited some things that didn't exist (I made sure that there weren't any stretched textures by sending it to TRO, where the levels are reviewed before being released. In any case, there was only one paper-thin wall that was impossible to fix without destroying the illusion created by the room adjacent to the pushable block puzzle room). The reason why I think that my levels will never appeal to anyone is because the evil elements of my level weren't appreciated at all [I am getting some pretty evil ideas for my next level and for the next three levels (if, by miracle, there is a reason why I should continue building levels)], and the puzzles were immediately considered as puzzles that can only be solved with trial and error (it is clearly written in bold that the player should contact the author in order to know why the puzzles are presented in a certain way and why there are two paths in the level).

GeorgeMaciver
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by GeorgeMaciver » 21 May 2004 10:51

Hi Hitsumei<p>My first level didn't reach 7 in the ratings either, so don't worry about it. Yes, the reviewers can be incredibly cruel and demotivating towards new builders.<p>Keep going and don't give up.<p>:smile:

Dick
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Dick » 21 May 2004 11:05

Further to what George says:<p>When I released my first level it was described on the help forums by a well known reviewer as (and I quote) ‘shite’ 4 months later this same reviewer reviewed one of my levels with four-tens and described it as her favourite level.<br>As for that first ‘shite’ level - Laras Levelbase seem to think so too - it has a score of 2/10 over there.<p>Moral: if you get bum reviews - by all means get pissed off about it - but don’t give up if you enjoy doing this level building thing - come back with something better. And don’t underestimate the learning curve - it goes on and on and on.<p>Btw - re: your audio questions - I can help you mix separate audio tracks (voice + music etc) - just send me the two samples and I’ll do the rest :smile:

uvavoo

Post by uvavoo » 21 May 2004 11:40

Ah Dick, what program do you use for this? Is it free? I could really do with one for the PC.<p>@Dick and George. Wise words from two of the very best builders. Take Heed Hitsumei.

Dick
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Dick » 21 May 2004 11:55

uvavoo,<p>it's a sound editing studio called Goldwave (do a search on that word to find a download link for the demo version)<br>you can save files in any format, rip stuff off CDs, alter sounds in loads of ways, mix tracks etc etc.<br>In short - you can do anything<p>The demo is free but has a (generous) number of user-clicks (3000) before it expires.<p><br>

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 21 May 2004 12:12

Thank you, but I can't start (I stopped after Easter vacation) using the Level Editor until June (or at the very least, May 31st) because I have a lot of exams next week, including a Bac Blanc in French.<br>I wasn't expecting a 7 on my first level. As long as it got at least a 5, I would be satisfied because it meant that it was considered an acceptable level. I am a reviewer myself, and I always write reviews based on things that I have actually seen and not on things that don't even exist in a level.

uvavoo

Post by uvavoo » 21 May 2004 12:26

Cheers Richard I'll give it a try.

Patricia

Post by Patricia » 21 May 2004 15:44

I'd also say that some reviewers have played so many levels that they now hardly get positively surprised by the new works -they're in a routine ;)
By the Rivers of Babylon - building the Summer Palace Ruins

Ruediger
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Ruediger » 21 May 2004 17:20

Quote: Patricia ( 3:44 pm on May 21, 2004 )<br>I'd also say that some reviewers have played so many levels that they now hardly get positively surprised by the new works -they're in a routine ;)
<p>I hear the Devil's advocate say: "If you don't manage to surprise them, maybe the level isn't good enough?" <br>Constant challenge, isn't it. :smile:

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 21 May 2004 23:23

I made a mistake. It's not a poem. It's actually a part of "I, Claudius" by Robert Graves. But, I will call it "Ode to Valeria" because it shows Claudius' stupidity, and it praises Valeria Messalina. <p>Concerning my first level, I thought I put unconventional things that would impress reviewers (eg. a secret consisting of scorpions), but they didn't surprise anyone (it's very hard to create something that people will actually appreciate).

GeorgeMaciver
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by GeorgeMaciver » 21 May 2004 23:31

Hi Hitsumei, keep building, you're doing just fine.<p>Hey Dick, I'm downloading that GoldWave right now. Thanks.<p>:smile:

argentiumlupus

Post by argentiumlupus » 22 May 2004 00:06

that probably means my level will stink too. oh shite, i'll just try my best at it. and the second time around i'll have more practice at it. the audio thing is also helpful to me cause i need to rip sounds off cds for my own level.
i'm not, not licking toads...

Dick
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Dick » 22 May 2004 00:14

Richard/George<br>There's just one glitch with Goldwave: when saving wavs in the same format as used for audio in trle (audio folder ) - they don't play in-game. So if you have edited a track for use in-game, save as an mp3 and use the mp3 converter we all use to convert back to wav - then it'll work.<p>This problem does not apply to sound samples (sound/samples folder)<p>hitsumei - yes, of course it's hard. TRLE has been around over 3 years, and over 1000 levels have been released. If players are jaded with the same-old same-old it's not their fault - create a level that gives them a boot up the ***.