General Level Editing Thread

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: General Level Editing Thread

Post by Hitsumei » 22 Jul 2017 23:19

Thank you JesseG, I was able to make a "wall" Lara can shimmy around (the most challenging part though was finding textures that wouldn't have a stretch effect). :)

Now I ran into another issue. So my goal is to have Lara deactivate flames (flame_emitter) surrounding a Hand of Orion on a pedestal. I put the following.
Switch for lever_switch
Trigger for flipmap (1) with F:1
Triggers for puzzle_item6 and pushable_object1

Results: the objects prior to the flipmap are still there, however, the flames still prevent Lara from safely getting the Hand of Orion. :freakout:

How do I do a proper flipmap here?

Thank you in advance.
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 25 Jul 2017 01:09

The point is, flipmaps don't activate anything. A flipmap is a "switch" between one thing and another.
Also, it only switches between statics, triggers and room geometry. Moveables are unaffected, so:
1) flames will still need a separate trigger (or antitrigger)
2) to "appear" a pushable, you need TRNG because the pushblock collision will stay otherwise.
The best way is to hide the block in a wall and do instant PARAM_MOVE_ITEM to where it's supposed to appear.
PARAM_MOVE_ITEM is in fact a kind of trigger which solves 50% of issues... check the NG Reference for info.
--------------------------
Anybody knows how to efficiently prevent waves in a flipped water room with another flipped room above?
I followed all tips and tutorials I know and nothing works, tried texturing the bottom of surface already.
Also tried no lens in the upper dry room, different combos one-sided and double-sided, and reflections.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

psiko

Post by psiko » 31 Jul 2017 19:37

Can you be more specific on what you are going to do, what you want to achieve, what do you already have, what it is going wrong?
For example, show geometry of those connected rooms, before and after the flipmap, inside ngle, even untextured..
I have a couple of solutions, but I do not understand very well your problem and if they fit for you...

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 02 Aug 2017 18:17

Hey psiko, never mind, I managed to solve this. I just reversed the flipmap states.
It doesn't wave when the water surface is in unflipped room and flips to solid room.
It didn't work when the upper unflipped room was solid and flipped to water surface.
In the latter case any opacity/doublesided/transparency combo can't prevent waving.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 06 Aug 2017 16:39

Thank you DJ Full! :) I am using TRNG, and I was able to solve the problem by not needing a flipped room, by pressing 1,2,3,4 and 5 on the flame_emitter, which activated the flame without a trigger. Thus, I was able to put a trigger on the switch to deactivate (a switch with an antitrigger would've caused problems). :idea:

Now let's see what else I will make next... :beatnik:

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 13 Aug 2017 02:17

I can't believe this is a problem for me... :-o

Ok, I'm using a switch to turn off flames, as well as putting a regular camera to show the deactivated flames. However, the camera is not showing things at the angle I want, and the camera target has no effect whatsoever on the camera angle...

How do I adjust the camera so that it shows what is going on from an angle I like? Even modifying the FOV properties doesn't seem to change things... :blank:

Thank you in advance.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 15 Aug 2017 04:22

I don't think you can change properties like FOV on a regular camera. The only way is to use a Target trigger to make the camera look at something (usually the camera_target object). Usually you'll place a trigger for the target on the same place that the camera is triggered, and you have to manually edit the trigger to specify Target (instead of Object).

If you have trouble, you can always try triggering the camera and its target with a Rolling ball (using heavy triggers), but make sure the ball doesn't rest on those triggers as that will cause issues! It should just pass over them.

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 18 Aug 2017 20:42

Thank you JesseG! Modifying the trigger as a target for the camera target (and positioning the camera target in a way that it pointed where I wanted things to be) solved the problem! :2thumbsup:

MpGrill_trle

Beta testers needed

Post by MpGrill_trle » 05 Oct 2017 09:10

Im looking for a few beta testers for my new level ( only one level, not a horrorr ) :)
Please send me a PM or e-mail.
Preferable to be someone experienced.

( admin can move this post ... I dont know where else to post it )

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 05 Oct 2017 11:27

You already seem to have a Beta test thread with testers that worked on your previous level... Just post/ask there

Trying to send tou a PM...."Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message"
Don't see an email addy too...

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 05 Oct 2017 15:25

from mp level page

mpgrill.trle@yahoo.com
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

MpGrill_trle

Post by MpGrill_trle » 05 Oct 2017 19:27

Oh, sorry .. I didnt know I disabled PM :cry:
Its enabled now.
@Vimmers - thats my correct e-mail.

I have only 2 testers for now. I would really like to have a few more.
Will definately post in the last beta testing subforum.

If someone is still interested, the PM works now :)

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 11 Oct 2017 22:04

I need help again...I'm trying to create a flipmap where ledges that were sloped become straight, and add a platform to be able to jump back up.

Lara picks up a cartouche piece, but the pickup for a flipmap is not responding, and I wonder what kind of sequence is needed when I want to flip more than one room.

Thank you in advance! :wink:

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 13 Oct 2017 04:30

To flip multiple rooms at the same time, you assign them to the same "flipmap group". It's the number next to the F, you can set it to 1 or 2 or whatever number, and rooms with the same number will be flipped together. Make sure you reference that same number in the flipmap trigger.

Not sure why your pickup trigger isn't working, it could be several factors. Make sure you added 64 to the object's OCB.

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 13 Oct 2017 19:28

Thank you JesseG!

I tried putting 64 on the ocb code for the cartouche piece, with a pickup trigger for a flipmap, but it didn't work.

I put a switch instead, and the flipmap works fine now. :) In fact, the end-result is better than my initial idea.