Welcome to the new trle.net 2020

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Welcome to the new trle.net 2020

Post by MichaelP » 14 Sep 2020 15:44

Thanks guys - please excuse my earlier comment about being a little "annoyed", but it was exactly like I wrote there: I was on the one hand quite relieved that I got things to generally be working again, a little frustrated about how much time it took me to get there and quite aware of a few "short comings" that are definitely there.... so in that state it did not "feel" particularly good to receive some of the comments that were posted at the time....

With a few days of distance though: I asked for feedback and I meant that, so give me a bit of time and I will pick up on it and some things will get done, others not... we'll see what's possible... (recognizing my available time will be shrinking as my vacation ends and my day job is coming back to haunt me ;) )

Appreciate the offers for help (also in emails) - be aware though I am a "difficult customer" for help, as I am not doing well in telling you what I want, but I am very quick at telling you what I DON'T like... :D :D - but I am sure we will figure it out somehow....

As an update already:
- The tag issue with the reviews is noted and understood - so will certainly work to fix
- The screenshot placement on the levelinfo is indeed one thing I was not happy about yet, so it will definitely change - actually an interesting idea to use a tab for that...
- like the idea of having the level link on the find screen send you to the info page and instead could change the "i" button to be a "d" button for direct download...
- Yes, at this time there are a few things I "dropped". Lara's Travel was one of them - I may bring it back but in a different way and it is quite a piece of work to do so... Links to other sites I still need to find a suitable place for, the guestbook was not updated/used by anyone in about 10 years so I dropped it...
- Driber was already in touch about "refreshing" the HoF design, so we'll see what comes from that :)

Keep the input coming! And Thanks for being an active and vocal part of this community!

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 14 Sep 2020 16:22

Hmm...

I mentioned both Lara's travels and the Guestbook because they're important parts of the site's and the community's history, or so I believe.

If Lara's Travels becomes too much of an hassle, ok, too bad, but patience. If you mean the map, it was indeed a bit outdated. The guestbook was supposed to have been signed around the anniversary time, right? So, yes, people could have signed it afterwards, but I thought it actually represented that precise moment, give or take.

As for the looks of the site, I'm starting to like it. It can always be improved, but the general idea seems fine.

Tombraider95

Post by Tombraider95 » 14 Sep 2020 17:27

Good to see you back Micheal. Thanks for the time for working on this.
- The screenshot placement on the levelinfo is indeed one thing I was not happy about yet, so it will definitely change - actually an interesting idea to use a tab for that...
Do you mean a separate tab for screenshots? If so I personally wouldn't like that at all because it's just more effort to view the level. It's far better having just the one page with all the info of the level so people can easily see the details and if they want to download your level or not. If you didn't mean a separate tab for screenshots then just ignore this :-P

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 14 Sep 2020 17:33

Nobody likes change until they get used to it. I am one of the lowest players there is and I found everything I was looking for. I think it looks great! I guess you have to be simple minded like me :lol: Way to go Michael!
I Hate Timed Shite!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kubsy

Post by Kubsy » 14 Sep 2020 18:01

Go Michael! :D

I have some other suggestions other than HoF:

- I think the colour of the level, reviews etc, count text should be changed to something lighter because sometimes I couldn't see how many levels there are (especially at
night).
- Decorate the "The Tomb Raider Level Editor" title (Bold or enlarge it) so that it looks a bit fancier
- Edit: I noticed that there are no videos in some of the level pages.

And that's it I think :D

As others have said: it will take time to get used to but despite of that, I love the new website :)
Waiting for nothing

Teone
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Teone » 14 Sep 2020 19:56

I found a little issue that might be easily solved
Look at here: http://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=2345

If the text is too long, the left infos drop down. I think they should be top aligned

Nuri

Post by Nuri » 14 Sep 2020 23:55

Well, it's way too late for me to post this now I think, but I still had no access to the site until now.
(I checked it out yesterday at midnight and it still showed that one picture, that has been posted somewhere above in the thread...)

First of all: Good job boss! Just the fact alone, that everything is done this fast is a pleasure.
I'm not very much into modernization and changes, so I wasn't very happy with the new website in the first place. By the way: I don't know if I've missed anything, because I wasn't aware that the site would get a new look. Just thought that "moving to a new server", or whatever it said, would come with minor changes.
HOWEVER, I'm starting to like it and of course one of the reasons why I wasn't happy with it at first, was because I was used to the old site (it was that one ever since I know TRLE. Now I'm curious though, if the site ever had an older look before that)
and... yeah..... I guess nostalgia is another dumb reason :-D :-D
But after pressing the look button and discovering the new site, I noticed some positive changes. The outer appearance is more clear. It's definitely easier now to navigate through the whole thing. But on the other hand, the site looks very blank now. Especially the home page. That would be my only suggestion at the moment to spice things up a little. I guess it wouldn't be possible to bring back the Tag Cloud in the Reviews, would it? I really liked unique features like that.
Anyway, I'm just happy to be able to download and play custom levels again, so thanks Michael!!

Marksdad
Mod
Mod

Post by Marksdad » 15 Sep 2020 11:31

It all looks good and intuitive to me - although the Review Staff page doesn't seem to be loading..?
Nonetheless,a good wash and brush-up :)

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 15 Sep 2020 11:40

The Review Staff page seems to load just fine for me, but it just takes rather a while to do so (presumably because all of the reviewer profiles plus the Reviewers of the Month and Reviewer Statistics pages are all accessed from the one page). Still, I'm getting used to it as a whole. :)
No one but ourselves can free our minds...

lizard queen

Post by lizard queen » 15 Sep 2020 17:30

WOW!!! I see the Level Information pages just got a beautiful makeover. The screenies are now aligned on the right hand side with spaces in between and level descriptions down the middle... Just beautiful. :2thumbsup:

Teone
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Teone » 15 Sep 2020 18:10

^
Yes, much better! And also the 5th screen is back :2thumbsup:

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 15 Sep 2020 18:28

Very nice update. Good to see the 5th screenshot back.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 15 Sep 2020 18:41

Yes, it looks good on mobile too. 8)

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 15 Sep 2020 19:57

I happened to start to download a level by accident. :D

Now I know how it is. D for download and all that. 8)

Manymee

Post by Manymee » 15 Sep 2020 21:09

hi the new design looks great. Fresh and easy to navigate. I am still hoping for a "difficulty" parameter. Lots of levels already have a note on the info page if they are very challenging, so maybe it could be done?