Welcome to the new trle.net 2020

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Welcome to the new trle.net 2020

Post by Treeble » 12 Sep 2020 18:42

The review pages do seem to be referring to a missing spacer.gif file. I also noticed that when a link is posted in the review itself, the formatting seems to get lost where the </a> tag gets closed (eg. my reviews here and here).

As a general simple suggestion, can we replace the main site font with Tahoma (or is it Verdana? This very font we're looking at here on forum posts)?
Last edited by Treeble on 12 Sep 2020 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 12 Sep 2020 18:45

TombExplorer wrote:
12 Sep 2020 18:02
There were so many things in need of a change. At example, the fact that you can review levels with anyone's name. That is one of the worst thing I have ever seen in a site imho.
I bet changing this would be a huge undertaking, because locking down the reviews means adding the concept of authentication to the main site, which in its current state is not a great idea because trle.net doesn't even have a security certificate (although, that's already been an issue for forum.trle.net and not too many people complain). And that may also cause confusion because people will have different credentials between trle.net and forum.trle.net (I'm assuming that the forum software doesn't have a single sign-on capability to allow shared credentials).

As an alternative we could possibly entertain the idea of submitting reviews via forum PMs instead, although that would be a little extra manual work for Michael. Personally I don't think the anonymous form has caused enough issues to warrant a change.
Tombraider95 wrote:
12 Sep 2020 18:18
I prefer having the images in a row along the top (parallel to the image on the left side), as I'm not a fan of the images being in a square.
On my screen the images show up as a column rather than a square, but still I agree. If the images were displayed in a row as before, or used some sort of image carousel, that would look a bit better and also free up some space on that page.

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 12 Sep 2020 18:50

JesseG wrote:
12 Sep 2020 18:45
As an alternative we could possibly entertain the idea of submitting reviews via forum PMs instead, although that would be a little extra manual work for Michael. Personally I don't think the anonymous form has caused enough issues to warrant a change.
That would be completely oldschool, IIRC when the site was composed of a lenghty excel sheet (which was eventually split into smaller sheets before being turned into an actual search engine) reviews were sent in by e-mail.

SrDanielPonces

Post by SrDanielPonces » 12 Sep 2020 18:56

JesseG wrote:
12 Sep 2020 18:45
TombExplorer wrote:
12 Sep 2020 18:02
There were so many things in need of a change. At example, the fact that you can review levels with anyone's name. That is one of the worst thing I have ever seen in a site imho.
I bet changing this would be a huge undertaking, because locking down the reviews means adding the concept of authentication to the main site, which in its current state is not a great idea because trle.net doesn't even have a security certificate (although, that's already been an issue for forum.trle.net and not too many people complain). And that may also cause confusion because people will have different credentials between trle.net and forum.trle.net (I'm assuming that the forum software doesn't have a single sign-on capability to allow shared credentials).

Tombraider95 wrote:
12 Sep 2020 18:18
I prefer having the images in a row along the top (parallel to the image on the left side), as I'm not a fan of the images being in a square.
On my screen the images show up as a column rather than a square, but still I agree. If the images were displayed in a row as before, or used some sort of image carousel, that would look a bit better and also free up some space on that page.
so what you're saying is "let's keep everything open so any random people can review and choose a random name".. like that hasn't happened before lmao

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 12 Sep 2020 19:01

Hmm- right - maybe I should NOT actually have asked for feedback.... or should have expected that change is more typically seen as a bad thing by most people...

I will try to ignore all of the comments for a few days and then read them again through a lense that tries to find the actually constructive comments vs all the subjective ones which are plainly a matter of personal taste....

For your awareness though... The work/change here was done by me, myself and I and took me give or take 60+ work hours last week during my vacation (yes, I do have a day job to earn money :p ) - hence I AM rather annoyed by some of the above comments, but that may well be due to the fact that I did not originally want to invest so much time in the first place and was hoping for a better "result" on some of the planned changes myself...

And no, indeed, I am not a professional webdesigner and have no intention of becoming one.
And yes, I have asked for and invited help to give the site a makeover during all those years every now and then and the only productive result (since the original design by Nadine many years ago) was the HoF design by Driber... it is easy to "not like" - the hard part is to come up with something that maybe more people might like... ;)

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 12 Sep 2020 19:06

On the subject of authenticating reviewers - it was talked many times before and it is indeed those people who get hung up about it that should look in the mirror and think about why they do... trle.net has operated on trust for many years and done so successfully. Yes, it has been misused, but when it happens 80% of the cases get cleared up and corrected because the reviewers who did not submit a respective review let me know and then it gets deleted. So - all in all - among the now 64000+ reviews I would argue there is maybe, say 50 that were not submitted by the person who claimed to submit it - that would be 0.08%

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 12 Sep 2020 19:07

Hello. :)

SrDanielPonces

Post by SrDanielPonces » 12 Sep 2020 19:23

Well.. you said you were up for feedback... good and bad..

Teone
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Teone » 12 Sep 2020 19:28

I can't find the Home page :?
And I wonder how Larysuh13 managed to find the search page... since the path is different than before.

First impression? Not made by a professional web designer, but the navigation is intuitive.
Maybe it's only a matter of fonts and colors

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 12 Sep 2020 19:40

SrDanielPonces wrote:
12 Sep 2020 18:56
so what you're saying is "let's keep everything open so any random people can review and choose a random name".. like that hasn't happened before lmao
Pretty much, yes. It shouldn’t be a surprise that someone spending their free time building a website would focus on practical needs, not ideals. Being able to get imposter reviews taken down is sufficient.
Teone wrote:
12 Sep 2020 19:28
And I wonder how Larysuh13 managed to find the search page... since the path is different than before.
Maybe you have the home page cached? Try clearing the cache in your browser and see if that helps.

ReggieTR

Post by ReggieTR » 12 Sep 2020 19:42

Hi Michael,

I am a graphic designer and have experience working on websites. Would you like some constructive feedback here or via PM? There are definitely some positive sides to the update but I may be able to advise on improvements or directly assist you with these.

Larysuh13

Post by Larysuh13 » 12 Sep 2020 19:42

Teone wrote:
12 Sep 2020 19:28
^ in fact, I had linked to a game on the site, and I could see a little bit of the design, and how some things were working, so I decided to share. :)

nad

Post by nad » 12 Sep 2020 19:43

Good job so far :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:
But, from the main page you can't get to the forum .. ?

EDIT
It works :D
Home page: www.trle.net
Oh, how can I upload pictures ?
Last edited by nad on 13 Sep 2020 09:41, edited 2 times in total.

Teone
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Teone » 12 Sep 2020 19:52

This is what I see on the Home page
Do you guys see something different?

Luisa

Post by Luisa » 12 Sep 2020 19:52

It's cleaner and more intuitive, but also feels somewhat dated and empty. I'd suggest changing the body font to a more modern-looking one, like Open Sans, Tisa Sans or Raleway. Arial feels a bit too 2000's if you ask me. Get a nice looking header image that would grab one's attention and give the page a distinct visual identity. I don't know if it's just my screen, but the banners on the right side feel too close to the edge of the central white-ish box. The blue color on the "levels listed" text on the left side also feel too 2000's and do go well at all with that green background, I'd suggest changing the color to the same of of that white-ish central section.