off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

nad

Re: BtB 2020 - The Winners revealed....

Post by nad » 29 Aug 2020 19:45

Congratulations to the winners.
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
This was a very great competition.
Thnx to all participating levelbuilders and to the crew that made this contest possible.
:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Jesus C.Croft

Post by Jesus C.Croft » 29 Aug 2020 20:36

It's not surprising to me who the winners are, but not only that, I knew from day 1 we were getting jaw-dropping adventures by some of the best and talented level designers in the community. All 16 levels you have here are just pure joy and a must play for sure!

When I decided that Tibet was going to be the next BtB adventure and the competition was released to the community, shortly, some people told me that the Tibet package was lackluster, uninspiring and it was all about luck at the end.

Well, now I hope that all these people who had these serious doubts, after seeing the terrific results BtB Tibet has given us, can see and play the masterpieces this lackluster and uninspiring package has produced ;). And there's no luck nor randomness involved as well. What you have here and have played is the result of hard working people that truly love Tomb Raider, take this seriously and passionately and have a lot of respect to competitions like this one :D .

And the only thing I can do now is taking my hat off to all my dear contestants. Thank you so much for giving this competition another chance and for providing the community with this collection of outstanding levels. You all have raised the bar again! And you all have put the package team's assets on a really good use. It is because of all of you, that it's worth going on with this .

Again, thank you so much, folks! Congratulations to everyone! And I hope to see you in future projects :D!
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different ".

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 29 Aug 2020 21:21

Not to mention that the Space BtB wasn't by any means weak, it just fell victim to the usual getting tired of things people get involved in. An injustice, in my opinion.

But yeah, Tibet was clearly amazing, unlike any BtB we've seen before. Thank you, Jesus and everyone, for not having let it die.

MigMarado

Post by MigMarado » 29 Aug 2020 23:02

Congratulations to all builders, especially those who placed so high that I couldn't believe the amount of potential winners :D

Congratulations on the success of the amazing package, too! Keep these BtB's rolling, please 8)

Congratulations to every reviewer who played through this amazing set of levels, and to those who managed to guess some of the authors!

I'm embarrassed to admit how proud I am of my little banner down there :blush:
At first I loved it, I just couldn't use it the right way... Then, it all came to me!

Larysuh13

Post by Larysuh13 » 30 Aug 2020 00:54

Congratulations all participants! :2thumbsup:

BlackWolfTR

Post by BlackWolfTR » 30 Aug 2020 06:33

Congratulations to all! That was excellent Btb with many awesome levels :2thumbsup: Good job. (And I think that there are plans for another Btb :wink:)

Jay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Jay » 30 Aug 2020 10:27

A great big thank you to everybody who made this year's competition so memorable. I certainly can't remember such high standards of excellence and that's saying something considering how good the Back to Basics have always been. :2thumbsup: Congratulations everybody.
Time may be a great healer
but it's a lousy beautician

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 30 Aug 2020 11:04

Hear, hear! Huge congratulations to everyone involved with this brilliant competition. Every level was enjoyable to play and we truly are fortunate to have such wonderful entertainment offered to us at no expense whatsoever. :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: And yes, I too am insanely proud of my banner. :lol:
No one but ourselves can free our minds...

manarch2
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by manarch2 » 30 Aug 2020 12:04

Congratulations to all involved and especially AgentXP for a well deserved win! :angel:

Sigh, only 14 of 16 levels correct this time :lol: - I mixed up the two German builders :D

dinne

Post by dinne » 30 Aug 2020 13:02

Well, sorry to draw some attention to me but I'm curious to know how someone guessed my level. It's only my second level, and my debut one (The Russian Base) has nearly no scripting or innovation in general, while here (The Holy Shell) I had a lot more skills and I played hugely with coding. It's not based on combat like the debut one, also. Did you go by exclusion? Or random? I'm curious to see what common traits you've seen here, if any, because I can't see them :)
Tell me in private so that I won't take too much space in this thread

MMAN

Post by MMAN » 30 Aug 2020 15:18

I didn't vote in the guessing contest since I was a member of the BTB, but when I saw The Holy Shell was made by you it was one where my feeling was "of course". The way it takes familiar elements and puts a new spin on them, the narrative aspects, the ammo conservation and combat style, and the very complex interlinked layout all remind me of that level.

I can't speak for other people who guessed it, but I feel safe in saying it's one I'm sure I would have correctly guessed.

LaraCablara

Post by LaraCablara » 30 Aug 2020 15:21

I am also curious how 3 of you folks guessed me correctly. :blush:

Kubsy

Post by Kubsy » 30 Aug 2020 16:01

Congrats to all of the winners and the people who attended y'all done well!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Not gonna lie but I already guessed that the Garden Of The Four Season is by AgentXP. She is sooo talented.
Last edited by Kubsy on 30 Aug 2020 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for nothing

lizard queen

Post by lizard queen » 30 Aug 2020 16:52

This was my very first BTB competition ever and to be honest, I didn’t have any idea of what to expect. But as soon as I started playing, I was literally in heaven. I thought to myself, how is it possible to have such quality and yet I’ve only just started. And as I kept playing level after level, I was thrilled to discover that the quality never stopped, not once. This was one heck of a difficult competition to review because all were wonderful levels that I was truly honoured to play. Congratulations to every single one of you builders. What an accomplishment that you can all be very proud of.

On a personal note if I may, I also wanted to share just how special a feeling it was to see these 16 devoted builders who stuck it out to the very end under the pressure of a deadline, to build these levels for us players to play. How selfless an act is that? And maybe it’s just me, but I feel this kind of unspoken symbiotic relationship between builders and players SO special and quite simply awe inspiring. What a special community we have that brought all of us here who love Tomb Raider so much. So thank you and congratulations again to the 16 builders who participated, the betatesters who tested, the coordinators who started the ball rolling and MichaelP (the Boss) for hosting the competition and giving all TRLE levels ever created a place for all Tomb Raider lovers to continue to play.

And I am also embarrassingly proud of my banner. :lol:

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Mytly » 30 Aug 2020 18:13

dinne wrote:
30 Aug 2020 13:02
Well, sorry to draw some attention to me but I'm curious to know how someone guessed my level. It's only my second level, and my debut one (The Russian Base) has nearly no scripting or innovation in general, while here (The Holy Shell) I had a lot more skills and I played hugely with coding. It's not based on combat like the debut one, also. Did you go by exclusion? Or random? I'm curious to see what common traits you've seen here, if any, because I can't see them :)
Tell me in private so that I won't take too much space in this thread
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, the predominant way to guess builders is by their visual style. I haven't actually played your first level, but based on the screenshots and a video walkthrough, I could see that the lighting style is quite similar - not the same colours, but the overall lighting level with the use of predominantly dark and muted colours. Also, the disclaimer for your first level provided an additional clue: 'a huge map with long non-linear quests and difficult timed runs'. Hmm, which BtB2020 level does that sound like ...? :wink:
LaraCablara wrote:
30 Aug 2020 15:21
I am also curious how 3 of you folks guessed me correctly. :blush:
In your case, it was almost entirely due to visual similarity to your first level. I thought the lighting, colours (red, yellow and green), and the use of fog and lightrays strongly resembled the style in Tomb Raider Expedition.

Most builders have a distinct style, whether visual or otherwise. I guessed Bigfoot, LoreRaider and IvanTRFan's levels before even playing them - just a look at the screenshots on the levelinfo page was enough. :wink: On the other hand, I couldn't tell that Beyond the Caves of Nyalam was by Tolle87 until I reached the 'dungeons' challenge, and then it immediately clicked for me, as he'd used a similar idea in his BtB2016 level. (Also, the length of the level was a clue. :-P )