Is there a TRLE version of AOD? if not, Why not?

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Cerebralfire

Is there a TRLE version of AOD? if not, Why not?

Post by Cerebralfire » 29 Jul 2020 19:23

With all the incredible level builders out there, is it possible to do a AOD (Angel Of Darkness) remake via level editor?
Of course it would have to be tweaked enough to keep it within legal boundaries. A joint effort of an AOD remake via TRLE etc,
would be the cherry on any TR fans cake for sure. I don't think it's a new idea, just havn't seen it, so just throwing it out there :D

Phil
Mod
Mod

Re: Is there a TRLE version of AOD? if not, Why not?

Post by Phil » 29 Jul 2020 20:00

I think this is an excellent idea. I tried AOD a few years ago and found the moves so different and aggravating that I gave up early in the first level in lieu of trying to master a new learning curve. For the same reason, Anniversary and Underworld have never been opened and are gathering dust in my closet.

Luisa

Post by Luisa » 29 Jul 2020 20:19

I've been wondering about that for ages: most of the issues people find unplayable about AOD are the controls, so why not remake the game in a more playable format? Sure, the multiple choice dialogue and the power-up RPG elements couldn't be implemented in TRLE, but they've never really worked in the original game, so you could just scrap them out altogether and just keep the classic Tomb Raider gameplay. I'd really like if someone would make a level-by-level TRLE remake, preferably with a Meta2TR treatment to keep the visuals as close to the original and incorporating the cutscenes from the original in FMV format.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 29 Jul 2020 22:59

I liked AOD but the controls, although similar to the classics, were awful, really spoiled the whole thing and resulted in many deaths and loads of annoyance. A TRLE remake would be a great idea. Bit beyond my building skills though.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 29 Jul 2020 23:42

I'd like it, but yeah, it's a bit gigantic and... dangerous?

From all I've seen, remakes don't get the highest ratings. Except for a few cases, if it's actually more a homage than an actual remake.

But I think it could be possible if it were a well designed project by a group of very confident, seasoned builders...

Cerebralfire

Post by Cerebralfire » 30 Jul 2020 00:24

Jorge22 wrote:
29 Jul 2020 23:42
I'd like it, but yeah, it's a bit gigantic and... dangerous?

From all I've seen, remakes don't get the highest ratings. Except for a few cases, if it's actually more a homage than an actual remake.

But I think it could be possible if it were a well designed project by a group of very confident, seasoned builders...
I think it could be released in parts so the fans can help the builders correct and update, then when the entire project is finished as a polished game, release it completed.
It would just be nice to have a version of TR6 that's not clunky and annoying to play, and builders could also add their own touches to spruce up the gameplay. It would fill
a void for many who have played AOD and hated it's flawed character mechanics.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 30 Jul 2020 10:06

Would we want to add the parts that were removed from the released game? Using the TRAOD Startup Configuration Utility, I have found several unfinished but playable parts that were not in the original release. Besides the training area, there were some parts around the river. There may be other areas as well.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 30 Jul 2020 12:22

Phil wrote:
29 Jul 2020 20:00
I think this is an excellent idea. I tried AOD a few years ago and found the moves so different and aggravating that I gave up early in the first level in lieu of trying to master a new learning curve. For the same reason, Anniversary and Underworld have never been opened and are gathering dust in my closet.
i think they are built in 2 different engines
so you can't compare traod with Anniversary and Underworld + reboot + SHADOW OF THE TOMB RAIDER etc etc
the new games running very smoothly on every platform

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 30 Jul 2020 13:00

Well there was one guy who did try, alas not very successfully ;)
http://www.trle.net/sc/authorfeatures.php?aid=710

And indeed, I am also in the faction that wonders why I should be playing a "remake" of something when I could rather spend time with fresh new creative ideas a builder could bring to the party...

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 30 Jul 2020 22:40

Inspired by this thread, I started to replay AOD this afternoon from the beginning to the end of Bouchard’s hideout. I rather like the Parisian streets parts as there are several ways of doing things. It is quite easy but the graphics still look good. However the controls truly are as horrible as I remember them.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 30 Jul 2020 22:52

Phil wrote:
29 Jul 2020 20:00

I battled through AOD to the end and quite enjoyed it, despite the awful controls. With Legend, Anniversary and Underworld I did finish them (eventually) but hated the controls more than AOD and found Anniversary very difficult due to the wall running thing that I found very hard. I gave up then and have not played the reboots, although I have watched them on YouTube. :D