BTB 2020 is among us! - let's share our impressions

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: BTB 2020 is among us! - let's share our impressions

Post by Jorge22 » 24 Jun 2020 09:15

I've been to Seville a few times and I don't think that was realistic. But it was lovely, no doubt about that. And it's fiction, anyway.

This BtB package is truly excellent in its visuals and possibilities. The village... Are you by any chance thinking of that entry that includes three levels? I enjoyed the first one quite a lot.

I'm just not sure I'll be able to play all 16 in time, as they can be somewhat complicated. But yeah, great, great package.

drguycrain

Post by drguycrain » 26 Jun 2020 19:27

Luisa wrote:
24 Jun 2020 02:35
drguycrain wrote:
23 Jun 2020 20:35
Luisa wrote:
15 Jun 2020 03:54

- i'm also digging this new btb trend of making people part of the environment. it gives a feel of authenticity to the scenery and i hope it goes on for future btbs;
I agree! Would be nice to see this other-people-included angle in lots of levels, let alone BtB levels.
I think it gives a feel of genuineness by reminding us that those cultures are still alive and are not relegated to relics of the past, not to mention it expands the variety of environments one can create, instead of sticking to the same uncharted regions of old temples and caves. I know it'll sound cheesy but some of these levels really made me feel as if I was a tourist exploring some nice tibetan village, which can be a very welcome sensation when you haven't left your house in months.

(it is something I have been noticing on later wads, not only in BtB but other levels as well, a tendency of aiming to capture the genuine feel and geography of the represented locations, instead of just reproducing stereotypical motifs associated with them. It started with Israel in The Jerusalem Project, and then there was Venice in TR Anniversary Definitive Demo and, more recently, Sevilla in Christmas In Sevilla. I really hope it continues.)
Jerusalem project does this very well! Levels like it and others is why I wish the review template included a category for "explorability"--like is this a level that just fun to look around in?

And it doesn't sound cheesy at all. There's a YouTube travel channel I like to watch. This couple on it hiked through Tibet all the way to Everest Base Camp. Playing these levels reminds me of seeing them in the real place interacting with the people who live in all these tiny mountain villages.
Live every week like it's Shark Week!

drguycrain

Post by drguycrain » 27 Jun 2020 17:27

Just started a third level. Is a lot of fixed cameras a theme throughout the series or was that just Beyond the Sky?

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 27 Jun 2020 20:13

drguycrain wrote:
27 Jun 2020 17:27
Just started a third level. Is a lot of fixed cameras a theme throughout the series or was that just Beyond the Sky?
just started Beyond the Sky and
it's my last level so it's only Beyond the Sky
and in my opinion a stupid behavior if it's the whole game
sorry builder

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 27 Jun 2020 20:38

I can't even remember all those fixed cameras, so I guess maybe it's not even just Beyond the Sky - perhaps a part of it, from what you say.

Ok............. I remember now. The snowstorm part at the beginning. I thought it was great. But don't worry, it won't continue throughout the level.

drguycrain

Post by drguycrain » 28 Jun 2020 17:31

vimmers wrote:
27 Jun 2020 20:13
drguycrain wrote:
just started Beyond the Sky and
it's my last level so it's only Beyond the Sky
and in my opinion a stupid behavior if it's the whole game
sorry builder
You've already played through them all? Wow. So for those of us still at the start of the series, how many dragons did you have to kill? :D

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 28 Jun 2020 17:48

not sure i didn't count them
but i think half of the games

nad

Post by nad » 29 Jun 2020 11:20

I have played all 16 levels and am absolutely thrilled.
There were a lot of levels that were built on a very high level, a joy for every player.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the BtB2020 team and especially all LB who participated.

Kubsy

Post by Kubsy » 29 Jun 2020 17:47

finished Garden Of The Four Seasons a couple of weeks ago - It's beautiful. I also played other levels but couldn't be bothered to finish them. :D
Waiting for nothing

lizard queen

Post by lizard queen » 29 Jun 2020 18:06

I've completed 7 levels so far with reviews (not published yet) and currently working on my 8th. I feel so lucky that these builders and team put on this competition for us players particularly during this pandemic time when we all could use some joy. And these levels are just that... pure joy. :nice:

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 30 Jun 2020 01:28

I've just started my first BtB level (Beheaded Mountain) because of our walkthrough backlog, and so far I'm underwhelmed. The spinning compass is unreadable and therefore worthless, but I'm still trying.

Edit: I just discovered that you can bring up the compass and press enter to make the damn thing stop spinning so you can read it. That helps, at least some.

Edit #2: They say that first impressions are the most reliable indicators of lasting relationships. Indeed, all that slippin' 'n slidin' to open this first BtB level definitely turned me off, and I was on my 30th save before I was 15 minutes into the adventure. But now I've reached the monastery and things are definitely looking up. I should learn to reserve judgment until sufficient evidence has been adduced.

eRIC
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by eRIC » 08 Jul 2020 14:33

drguycrain wrote:
Imo, Nest of the souls is the winner.

lizard queen

Post by lizard queen » 08 Jul 2020 20:55

Well, I'm not going to reveal my favourite level just yet, but I can tell you what my favourite new item is... that crazy catapult platform! At the risk of sounding like the geekiest TR player ever... I literally could jump on those all day long. :lol:

drguycrain

Post by drguycrain » 08 Jul 2020 21:12

eRIC wrote:
08 Jul 2020 14:33
drguycrain wrote:
Imo, Nest of the souls is the winner.
I haven't gotten to that one yet! I've only done 4 so far. And it's currently a tie between the Gardens and a Matter of Life and Death.

MMAN

Post by MMAN » 09 Jul 2020 00:43

I've reinstalled Windows 10 on my computer (it worked before) and now when I try to load levels from BTB2020 I get errors that the DLL plugins have an "attaching library" error. I've made sure my antivirus isn't breaking anything, tried different compatability settings and reinstalled TRNG but nothing seems to fix it. Other TRLE stuff I have works fine, including a couple of others with DLL plugins.