Stay safe at home !

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Alex Chap

Stay safe at home !

Post by Alex Chap » 17 Mar 2020 11:58

Hi,

This topic might be a bit sensitive, but as you know, the coronavirus (Covid-19) is still spreading around the globe, and some measures were taken recently into several countries such as closing schools and cancelling several events. I think we could talk about how the virus progresses and something important too, how are you feeling and what is happening around you.

I'm a bit worrying because, with the last news I had, the UK still didn't take measure to avoid the virus' spread and I know that a lot of people are from here there.

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Stay safe at home !

Post by Matie » 17 Mar 2020 12:39

Well, things got wild over here today. People are advised to avoid all unnecessary contact from now on, all stores are robbed off of bread, milk, pasta and toilet paper, business owners despair as restaurants and pubs are becoming deserted, people are losing their jobs or their hours are getting cut... It's all so strange. My partner is working at a restaurant, so he might not be able to go to work any minute, and I won't be able to do any overtime from now on, as the situation is affecting the place I'm working at. At least I can still keep working for now :?
Also, I really miss my family. They were going to visit in May, but it's probably not going to happen now... And I hope my grandparents are going to be okay.

On the bright side, I'll have a bit more time to work on my BtB level.

How about you Alex? I've heard it's not really possible to go anywhere without a very good reason in France. Are the stores robbed over there? I wonder how long this panic buying is going to last.

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 17 Mar 2020 13:06

My family and I are safe for now, I've only been out recently to go shopping with my parents. I am asthmatic, fortunately not in crisis at this moment, but it's dangerous for me so I stay between 4 walls. It's real, people come to fight when it comes to restocking.

The French government has decided that no one should be outside unless there is a certificate, if a person can't do telework, or if it is a question of restocking. It is pretty well done, a good part of us received an SMS with these instructions.

I was supposed to celebrate my grand mother's 70th birthday with my family in mid-April, but I imagine it's compromised ...
And impossible to see friends while I am in full unemployment since January ...

BlackWolfTR

Post by BlackWolfTR » 17 Mar 2020 13:41

There are more and more infected in Poland. The situation is slowly getting out of control. :( People are panicking, they making supplies .The cities are deserted. I'm sitting at home because the school closed. A few days ago I had a cold and there was panic at home. There was a fever and a sore throat, but several days of taking medicine and then it passed. People stay home is the best thing you can do now! Let's hope that we will stop the epidemics soon and return to a normal life. :)

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 17 Mar 2020 14:55

Oh my!

I'm so tired of the whole thing... It's the Covid-19 24/24, day in-day out ever since it started. One thing's for sure: I'm concerned with how this will affect the economy. Not that I'm not concerned with the disease, obviously. We've had an 80-year old man dying so far and he had diabet, lung cancer and something else I can't recall. The numbers of infected keep growing but we don't really know since when this thing was around because one only knows there's the Covid-19 if one's tested, right?

We're three people at home right now. My wife, her 15-year old grandson whose parents are living in Paris (but he very clearly preferred coming back - that is even though they've been away for years) and I. I don't know but maybe we got the bloody thing already... A while ago, he came home with a cough after having entertained a group of Erasmus students for about a week together with his classmates. My wife developed a hard-to-go-away bad cough with lots of phlegm. I've had weird symptoms such as muscle aches, not so much of a cough but the odd weird feeling in my throat, feeling really hot for no special reason, but I think I'm much better now. So, the question is: were we infected? Probably. Most people don't develop the get-yourself-to-a-hospital-bed at all. And it's like I said: if one isn't tested, it's impossible to know. At the time of the A flu, my wife spent a few days in bed and I had what felt like a cold (my colds - maybe they're the flu - always make me feel pretty bad).

People are speaking of wanting the state of emergency and I say they clearly have no idea what they're talking about. Globally speaking, people are following the norms. And as long as it is that way, I really don't see the need for a dictatorship. Fortunately, neither do most of our politicians, the government included (even though the final word on that matter is up to the president).

I also wish people hadn't taken away all the toilet paper. Or potatoes. You know... It's really stupid.

This is going to be a year to remember. And forget.

Stay safe obviously.
Last edited by Jorge22 on 17 Mar 2020 16:51, edited 2 times in total.

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 17 Mar 2020 15:30

@Jorge I was not sure about opening this thread, because as you, I was tired about this story. I even was in denial when I heard that people were fighting over toilet paper and all and that we were going to be locked up in our own homes. But it turned to be serious as the virus is very deadly and can expose our closest people to danger.
I hope you're going well despite what all happened.

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 17 Mar 2020 16:36

The biggest group at risk still seems to be the elderly, which unfortunately means a great number of trle.net members and that worries me. I myself don't care about my own health, but as a decent person I obviously don't want to bring this home to my parents or nephews. Lucky for me I'm on paid vacation right now; I definitely don't know what's the situation at my workplace (a hospital, of all places) and I've been intently keeping my head buried in the sand.

This indeed will be one (well, yet another) year to forget...

Jay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Jay » 17 Mar 2020 16:48

Yes, it is all very worrying and, speaking as a 70 year old woman with COPD, I am personally a bit nervous. Still, on the bright side, it has given the papers something to bang on about other than Brexit!

We need to try and keep calm and just take sensible precautions. Hopefully, we'll all get through this.

Interestingly enough, we keep seeing all these photos in the papers of the empty supermarket shelves, but our local Sainsburys, Spa and Waitrose have no empty shelves apart from the loo rolls and hand sanitisers. :dunno:
Time may be a great healer
but it's a lousy beautician

Marksdad
Mod
Mod

Post by Marksdad » 17 Mar 2020 17:18

There seem to be three different ways to respond to the virus,according to what I've personally observed among friends/relatives of mine here in the UK over the last few days.
1) You panic,despair,and refuse to go out of your house;while vilifying anyone who is not feeling or acting the same way as you.
2) You exercise caution combined with common sense;are mindful of hygiene and proximity to others around you;but get on with day-to-day things anyway.
3) You blithely ignore any and all advice,and go on a pub crawl with your best mate (who happens to have Multiple Sclerosis)

I think #1 is too extreme and depressing;while #3 is positively asking for trouble :(
I'm trying to follow #2. I mostly work from home;but I'm supposed to be going on a business trip within the UK next week.
Should I?
Must I?

I'm with Jorge. I am more concerned for the global economy,and peoples livelihoods. I'm not sure a total lockdown isn't more damaging than the virus itself.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 17 Mar 2020 17:32

Yes. I'm actually concerned about having one more crisis. This time other countries won't really be able to say "they've been living above their means" or "they're just lazy and now they have to pay" coupled with "they spend the entire year at the beach" - God knows what - but, since the EU doesn't actually work as a block, citizens from other member states may feel very reluctant to lending a globally European helping hand. I can understand that but it's like leaving a sucide note for every country within Europe (and I see the UK getting involved, Brexit or no Brexit, simply because this is where it exists).

And I also think the stock markets should have been shut long ago. They may always re-open and do their thing (speculation) when things are back to normal.

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 17 Mar 2020 17:40

Stay safe out there, Jay. :hug: All we can do is try and keep ourselves and those close to us safe. Like Treeble, I work in a healthcare-related environment (not so much the hands-on stuff, though) and we've taken extra precautions for a worst case scenario as a couple of people have recently returned from abroad. Still, since I'm still quite young, I'm not incredibly worried about it although I do feel for the elder members on here (and I'm off work for a couple of days soon so maybe things could dissipate in the meantime).

@Ian
Regarding your business trip, it might be worthwhile weighing it out a bit i.e. will the trip be fairly confined within close groups of people, will there be lots of close contact etc. Then you can be extra prepared if the need arises.
No one but ourselves can free our minds...

Ranpyon

Post by Ranpyon » 17 Mar 2020 19:36

Alex Chap wrote:
17 Mar 2020 13:06
The French government has decided that no one should be outside unless there is a certificate
Like here in Italy. We must have the certificate with us. In the streets there are policemen who control people, and legally report the ones who don't have a valid reason to be out of home.
I go out for working at office (now I go by my own car, until two weeks ago I used to go by bus), but my contacts are very limited: half of my collegues work at home (I can't do the same), at office we are in separate rooms (one for each room), we stay at a security distance between us (at least one meter), and we often wash our hands and we disinfect the surfaces we touch.
When I return home, there are only my parents who stay at home. So we are pretty safe.

Manymee

Post by Manymee » 17 Mar 2020 20:34

Hi guys. I'm from Germany, and live in pretty much the middle of it, only small towns around here, and although it's coming nearer every day (21 infections in the vicinity) people still carry on like it's all fine. Shops are still full, though people are doing some careful (and not overloaded) "panic buying", or, as we call it, "hamster shopping". Streets are emptier now, as schools and pubs are now closed, but so far I am the only one I have seen at all even wearing a mask. I wear a mask, because I'm 53 since Friday, have chronic bronchitis, and work as a taxi driver. I would give everything to be able to work from home right now, obviously that's not really an option.
I also have to go to hospital every second day to have treatment for a breast infection I have struggled with since July last year and had surgery on in february. That hospital is now eerily empty, all are waiting for the storm.
I am scared. :(

Marksdad
Mod
Mod

Post by Marksdad » 17 Mar 2020 20:37

Manymee and Ranpyon,
stay safe and try to be upbeat!
We'll all get through it :)

Ranpyon

Post by Ranpyon » 17 Mar 2020 21:22

Thank you Marksdad, you too! :2thumbsup:

@Manymee: please, stay the safer you can! At least since you go to the hospital so often for that treatment, I suppose you will be more controlled, isn't it?