Does anybody else...

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Does anybody else...

Post by Jorge22 » 19 Feb 2020 01:17

... feel like I do, as in being able to go back to your reviews and easily correct the silly grammar/vocabulary/phrasing mistakes one only finds after they've been posted?

I know I do. Don't you? Or maybe I'm just some grammar loonie... :hammer:

-----------

I understand it can't be done in order to avoid review changes. Obviously.

Ceamonks890

Re: Does anybody else...

Post by Ceamonks890 » 19 Feb 2020 08:15

I've been tempted to a couple times over the years, but I just learn to live with it and move on (being more wary of my writing in newer reviews, thanks to my gained skills as a proofreader).

Despite how personally grating it is to see a number of errors in my older critiques regardless (which I'd never allow to slip by nowadays), they're also products of their time and reflective of the kind of person I've developed and changed into as time's gone on. It just wouldn't be the same if I decided to alter 'em, you know?

Nuri

Post by Nuri » 23 Feb 2020 23:26

Oh I can relate! My first reviews were terribly awful... :D
But I don't feel like correcting them now, I'm sure people can understand what the hell I wrote down there, hehe

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 24 Feb 2020 23:06

You know I could have easily meant that but I didn't. Style and whatnot, who cares? Once you craft something it's time to move on. And most things are long gone by now.

What I meant was I wish I could change silly little mistakes, like obvious grammar mistakes or, say, repeated words - little things that make a difference to me. Maybe I should proofread my texts ten times or type them slower...

Nomad

Post by Nomad » 25 Feb 2020 00:48

Oh yeah, me too. I honestly don't understand how I can check for errors before posting 3-4 times, find none, send it and when online I spot them immediately. I even managed to write the same sentence twice once and could not see that go figure :)

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 28 Feb 2020 13:51

Nuri wrote:
23 Feb 2020 23:26
Oh I can relate! My first reviews were terribly awful... :D
But I don't feel like correcting them now, I'm sure people can understand what the hell I wrote down there, hehe
Yeah i think all of us have reviews that we would change not just for grammar but there are some levels i would have given different scores for if I reviewed them now.

Also would it be possible to put a difficulty rating on the reviews, Which has no impact on the games score but it would allow players to pick an easier or a harder level.
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life."

Trikazz

Post by Trikazz » 28 Feb 2020 15:01

Jorge22 wrote:
19 Feb 2020 01:17
... feel like I do, as in being able to go back to your reviews and easily correct the silly grammar/vocabulary/phrasing mistakes one only finds after they've been posted?

I know I do. Don't you? Or maybe I'm just some grammar loonie... :hammer:

-----------

I understand it can't be done in order to avoid review changes. Obviously.
To be honest, people are concerned with the quality of their own English :roll: , first of all, their way of writing came out gamma :blank: , they always have a way of saying that it is wrong to fix you, to say that you are a master in English, I think that in my sensible opinion, English does not matter,nor its quality :dunno: , but if it is '' Understable '' there will be no problem, but when you have an English so bad that it reaches no sense, then there is an argument, always. :|

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 28 Feb 2020 15:36

I know exactly the quality of my English. Or my Portuguese. Or my French.

It's not about that as others seem to have clearly understood. It's about typos. It's about not checking one's own stuff thoroughly enough and then sighing when one looks at the final result. It's about mistakes one knows that one would never make in one's perfect mind. And there's always some kind of typo, jeez...

What you care about and what you don't is entirely your own business. But if you want my honest to God opinion, you could let go of all that samba.

Trikazz

Post by Trikazz » 28 Feb 2020 16:16

Jorge22 wrote:
28 Feb 2020 15:36
I know exactly the quality of my English. Or my Portuguese. Or my French.

It's not about that as others seem to have clearly understood. It's about typos. It's about not checking one's own stuff thoroughly enough and then sighing when one looks at the final result. It's about mistakes one knows that one would never make in one's perfect mind. And there's always some kind of typo, jeez...

What you care about and what you don't is entirely your own business. But if you want my honest to God opinion, you could let go of all that samba.
but this is the point! :-P if you do not know the grammar, you will have typos :wink: , that is "quality" understood now? my english was really bad compared to nowadays :|

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 28 Feb 2020 16:23

No, that's not the point. I hate to have to explain something like that but almost 30 years ago I was teaching students for the Cambridge exams - both First Certificate and Proficiency. Back then my English was obviously worse. So, what do you mean?

Nah, typos happen because we type too fast and fail to check all the little dots.

So, that's not the point at all.

Tell you what: if somebody didn't know the grammar or the spelling, whatever, they wouldn't go facepalm afterwards. The reason would be that they still wouldn't know, which would make it impossible for them to notice anything weird.

Do you have anything against doing things well? Do you think everything happens just because? What are your long term plans? Seriously.

Apart from that, congratulations if you've been noticing improvements in your English. Some of your sentences make no sense at all. Others, more perfect, less perfect, do. Nobody needs you to be perfect unless you're aiming for that distant spot - in that case, that's your need. We just want to understand. I mean, what's the point in typing something incomprehensible?

The Snarky Lesbian

Post by The Snarky Lesbian » 01 Mar 2020 04:37

Signed, but what I'd love as well, would be an "Expand" feature for the reviews. Cause I tend to write a lot, and I love to format (a good formatting is in my opinion super important for the readability and desire to keep on reading) including many paragraphs. So with an Expand feature I could use more formatting without annoying everyone else. And I could do level by level (in a set) analysis and all that.

What I am saying is that I want to write 2-3 pages of review per level. I want to force my sophistry-esque neologismic terms on everyone and use more adjectives than would be a) healthy and b) descriptively useful.

I would also like a different scoring system, one that I can understand and one where I can exclude all the levels with no action. And I want a pony. A pixelated one.

Ignore the last Sentence.
My Twitch Channel

Do a good for the world and reduce the number of crawlspaces in your levels.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 01 Mar 2020 11:36

You do have a sense of humour... ;)

Would it be possible to ignore it all? What do you say? :D

billie2001

Post by billie2001 » 02 Mar 2020 16:42

The Snarky Lesbian wrote:
01 Mar 2020 04:37
Signed, but what I'd love as well, would be an "Expand" feature for the reviews. Cause I tend to write a lot, and I love to format (a good formatting is in my opinion super important for the readability and desire to keep on reading) including many paragraphs. So with an Expand feature I could use more formatting without annoying everyone else. And I could do level by level (in a set) analysis and all that.
You can do what DJ_Full used to do in his earlier and much lengthier reviews (I'm sure I have read shorter novels :D )
He put in caps SUMMARY at the end with a shorter version of the review.
(I used to read the summary and print the rest for a perfect bedtime story) :lol:

The Snarky Lesbian

Post by The Snarky Lesbian » 02 Mar 2020 19:41

billie2001 wrote:
02 Mar 2020 16:42
The Snarky Lesbian wrote:
01 Mar 2020 04:37
You can do what DJ_Full used to do in his earlier and much lengthier reviews (I'm sure I have read shorter novels :D )
He put in caps SUMMARY at the end with a shorter version of the review.
(I used to read the summary and print the rest for a perfect bedtime story) :lol:
Oh that is a very good idea. Thank you!
My Twitch Channel

Do a good for the world and reduce the number of crawlspaces in your levels.