Cemonks890

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Cemonks890

Post by MichaelP » 04 Feb 2020 14:06

Actually not at all - we lose a builder because the builder chooses to pursue other / more important things in life.

That's how it has always been in almost 20 years of trle.net... you gain people, you lose people ... for many different reasons ...

And sometimes you lose the ones you'd rather have around for longer and sometimes you have to put up with people for longer that you'd rather lose... :D

All part of the "fun" and we should always remind ourselves about what is really, really important in life - and then all this "drama" will suddenly show up in a completely different perspective...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 04 Feb 2020 14:13

Like to both of your posts, Michael. Thanks for (once again) dropping by.

Ceamonks890

Re: Ceamonks890

Post by Ceamonks890 » 04 Feb 2020 23:46

DJ Full wrote:
03 Feb 2020 17:38
Actually, 10/10 was never "flawless", it's "wow, superb, amazing". So I don't agree with your reasoning, especially when nobody else reviews like you and you only review certain levels, so your "system" damages some ratings while leaving other ones intact. You single-handedly create a very inaccurate ranking picture, which may be a death sentence for some levels if you acknowledge players need a 9.00+ or they skip.
And that's your opinion (which you've got your right to of course). But I'm not going to be pushed into something I personally don't agree with out of peer pressure, simply because its considered 'inaccurate' from your perspective. As I've stated previously, I really don't care for the scoring system and wouldn't miss it at all, if it was scrapped entirely. So I'm afraid you and anyone else who has a problem with how I approach critiques, have to learn to better respect my wishes (as I try to do for all of you accordingly). Besides, I'm just one voice. Why do you even care that much? Scores are ultimately meaningless at the end of the day, if the critique doesn't provide a solid insight into what players are likely to expect generally going in (which a decent amount of, don't tend to justify very well anyway). So can we respectfully agree to disagree and just have fun doing what we do? MichaelP moreorless proves a number of my points with his posts in this thread alone.
Trikazz wrote:
04 Feb 2020 13:09
we will lose another builder due to ceamonks who disappointed Mehrbod for his meaningless review, and unbelievable! :|
OK. I don't know what your problem with me is Pedro, but I don't think its wise to make enemies out of critics (least of all with your reputation both on and off this site). It'd be wiser to actually try and improve the quality of your own work and build upon social relationships with others for the right reasons, rather then consistently craft greatly exaggerated hitpieces or empty threats at others any chance you get, out of general childish pettiness. It frankly just makes you look pathetic and worse off as a result. So grow up and stop wasting everyone's time with such nonsense :roll:

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 05 Feb 2020 00:06

Ceamonks890 wrote:
04 Feb 2020 23:46
MichaelP moreorless proves a number of my points with his posts in this thread alone.
I suspect Michael may have had you in mind with this comment:

And sometimes you lose the ones you'd rather have around for longer and sometimes you have to put up with people for longer that you'd rather lose... :D

At least I did when I read it.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 05 Feb 2020 00:11

I really don't think he has a problem with you. He's a child of the current state of affairs in the media, social media, politics, economics, fashion, entertainment, you just name it. He'll do anything for his minutes of fame. What for? He doesn't have a clue.
----------------
Phil, hey that was mean... ;)
----------------
You know, I suspect Mehrbod may well return after a long while during which he'll be busy preparing his future. I also think Michael may have played an important role in making him feel welcome. He's a quite ok guy. :)

Trikazz

Post by Trikazz » 05 Feb 2020 02:24

OK. I don't know what your problem with me is Pedro, but I don't think its wise to make enemies out of critics (least of all with your reputation both on and off this site). It'd be wiser to actually try and improve the quality of your own work and build upon social relationships with others for the right reasons, rather then consistently craft greatly exaggerated hitpieces or empty threats at others any chance you get, out of general childish pettiness. It frankly just makes you look pathetic and worse off as a result. So grow up and stop wasting everyone's time with such nonsense :roll:
waste my time? of course not, the quality of my future projects is beside the point, my reputation is better than ever before you say something, your Mrbord review was so meaningless because his level design is great, if you seek quality you will play levels from top authors, the core design just released LE just for fun, so don't take a hard look finding more than an experienced builder who's not your case, frankly you don't know how long it takes to devote to a project, (regardless of quality.) to do something that will unravel, if you speak badly up to the old levels that several of them are super cool, when you learn to build a project you will value what I'm talking about :wink:

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 05 Feb 2020 12:18

Phil wrote:
05 Feb 2020 00:06
... I suspect Michael may have had you in mind with this comment ...
An interesting interpretation, but an incorrect one. It was not pointed at anyone in particular and contrary to a few other people posting in this thread I have no issue at all with Ceamonks' way of scoring and reviewing. Am I always in agreement with his scores or the way he is wording things and do I think he writes his comments with a suffcient level of empathy for both the builder and the reader of the review in mind? No, maybe not ... but I still prefer his slightly more critical scoring scale and extended comments over the more generic "4x10 praise one liners" any time, knowing that indeed both of these "review type genres" typically balance each other out quite nicely...

For the statistics friends among us, here is a little analysis on 15 levels that two certain reviewers have reviewed (no names to "protect the innocent", but you can venture a guess ;) ). The graph shows the average score of the levels and then the scores given by the two reviewers:

You notice the general tendency of the green reviewer to score higher and the red reviewer to score lower, but you can also see that both follow the same "trend" across the 15 levels, ie they generally stay within their "score scaling system" - with only two notable exceptions...

But diving deeper on the biggest "exception":
- The average score for that level is 5.45
- Removing the red reviewers score only would change it to 5.64
- Removing both the red and the green score would change it to 5.58

So arguably - for the builder or the player looking at the score, either one of these three scores simply reads as: "Something between 5 and 6" anyway...

Which brings me back to the quotes from above:

"... The best way to make your views heard and where to make them really count is to write a review ... The more reviews a level gets, the lesser the one negative review really matters ..."

"... with any level(set), scores seem to eventually balance out to something which is representative..."

Ceamonks890

Post by Ceamonks890 » 05 Feb 2020 12:44

MichaelP wrote:
05 Feb 2020 12:18

...contrary to a few other people posting in this thread I have no issue at all with Ceamonks' way of scoring and reviewing. Am I always in agreement with his scores or the way he is wording things and do I think he writes his comments with a suffcient level of empathy for both the builder and the reader of the review in mind? No, maybe not ... but I still prefer his slightly more critical scoring scale and extended comments over the more generic "4x10 praise one liners" any time, knowing that indeed both of these "review type genres" typically balance each other out quite nicely...
Woah... Thanks Michael. That actually means a lot coming from you. And while I certainly am going to try and be more empathic/to the point in my critiques from now on, don't expect my vocabulary to be toned down too much (as that's just naturally how I speak largely). Its refreshing to hear this kind of honest feedback without feeling as if I'm being jumped upon for not falling in line with the 'hive mind' approach as it were for once.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 05 Feb 2020 12:57

-