Back To Basics 2020 - Tibet - Builder Registration

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Tolle87

Re: Back To Basics 2020 - Tibet - Builder Registration

Post by Tolle87 » 27 Nov 2019 12:34

Tombraider95 wrote:
27 Nov 2019 07:43
If it is confirmed I think it needs to be promoted very clearly and loudly so everyone who hasn't entered because TE wasn't allowed, will know!
It hasn't been officialy confirmed yet because tests need to be done and things to be discussed to make sure everything works as expected, but some really unexpected issue must happen in this phase to prevent it.
Last edited by Tolle87 on 27 Nov 2019 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

Tombraider95

Post by Tombraider95 » 27 Nov 2019 12:41

Tolle87 wrote:
27 Nov 2019 12:34
It hasn't been officialy confirmed yet because tests need to be done to make sure everything works as expected, but only some huge unexpected technical issue must happen in this phase to prevent it.
Ah right yeah I thought so. :) myself and probably a lot of others are waiting for the official confirmation before signing up! :2thumbsup:

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 27 Nov 2019 16:11

As soon as it becomes the official decision, it will be announced. If someone's registration really depends only on TE allowance, it would be smart to wait for a little while, just in case.

SrDanielPonces

Post by SrDanielPonces » 27 Nov 2019 20:45

I am interested on giving a go. However, I am a TE user and I honestly don't feel like using ngle again.
I may register if TE is officially allowed.

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 28 Nov 2019 16:12

What is the difference between TombEditor and TRNG. I have only used the origial Room Editior and NGLE. Is TE easier to use and can TE do anything that NGLE cannot do.
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life."

illyaine

Post by illyaine » 28 Nov 2019 16:23

TE is modern, non crashes. You can build faster as with NGLE. I have since i build again (August) almost 3-4 levels ready.

Example Level 2 from Jade Empire

Multible WAD Feature, can load more as 1 texture file and more. When you can a little bit german, i have on my site a few of tutorials.
https://www.trlevel.de/lexicon/index.ph ... mb-editor/

And here 2 Tech Demo Levels.
- Diagonal Wall
- Merge static with Room Geometrie -> example moveable plants
https://www.trlevel.de/filebase/index.p ... ech-demos/

and more...

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 28 Nov 2019 16:25

JoeTheCrazyGamer wrote:
28 Nov 2019 16:12
What is the difference between TombEditor and TRNG. I have only used the origial Room Editior and NGLE. Is TE easier to use and can TE do anything that NGLE cannot do.

TE can do everything that NGLE does, but much faster and easier.

Most notable differences:
-There is no lag at all, no matter what you do and how many objects are there.
-A possibility to look at whole series of rooms or even the whole level at once. In other words, the perfect version of "Draw all rooms" from NGLE.
-Much "smarter" texturing, which means you don't have to divide the walls in strange ways to make textures fit the geometry.
-A possibility to simply copy/paste objects with the exact height, rotation and lighting, so there is no more tedious work with "Place object" button, for example when you want to place a series of fence objects etc...
-Many tools for generated geometry
...and many more.

There are also some new features, like diagonal walls, rotation of objects by any number of degrees, more forgiving box count, increased limits for flipmaps, flybys etc....

Jesus C.Croft

Post by Jesus C.Croft » 28 Nov 2019 20:09

Woohoooooo :jump: ! Exciting news folks :jump: ! You were asking for it and now I can confirm you that Tomb Editor is included in the BtBTibet package :D ! The team has really worked hard to make it compatible with the actual NGLE+TRNG assets and the overall package. We’re still testing some stuff, but yes, it’s there to stay :D ! And what’s more important is that you’re granted with total free use of all it’s features (no restrictions are applied to the editor except in one case – the same happens to NGLE).

BUT, and it’s an important BUT, don’t forget that this is a BtB competition and not everything is permitted. Do you want to know the restrictions? Just head to the updated first post.

I can’t wait to see new people registering for what it’s going to be the best edition ever :D !
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different ".

chronicles5

Post by chronicles5 » 28 Nov 2019 21:00

Thanks so much Jesus! And everyone who has worked to make this happen. Can't wait to start building! :D
Happy to be building again.

SrDanielPonces

Post by SrDanielPonces » 28 Nov 2019 21:27

I'm so happy with the new rules! I am SO signing in!!!!!

Nerkan

Post by Nerkan » 28 Nov 2019 23:25

WOW! :made:
I follow the discussion on the last days, I have to say that I was also the one who wished a lot of times a modern BtB environment (TREP was to old). And now….. you listen to the community and decide to go further… I’m so happy to see this.
I will definitely attempt again for my fifth BtB level. And I am sure that I will like your Tibet package Jesus C. Croft as I liked it so much in Space topic. Thank you so much that you and Michael keep BtB alive and spend so much effort to it. I am sure, that we will have again a great time in the BtB subforum! 8)
Greeting
Lara Croft alias Nerkan
(Srry for my Bad English!)
Which Level will I realease the next time? ...... I'll be damned if I know!

Soul
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Soul » 29 Nov 2019 11:33

Great to hear that! Thanks a lot, Jesus and the rest of the team :2thumbsup:

Chel

Post by Chel » 01 Dec 2019 00:36

I just want to say thank you to everyone involved in the BtB projects, from the few folks who craft the packages to the builders who produce levels for the community.
Working in IT, I can imagine the kind of labor hours that go into creating a cohesive package, along with the discipline necessary to essentially 'project manage' and keep everything on track for deadline. That ain't easy at all, not by any stretch of the imagination and my hat is off to all of y'all for having the drive and passion that's necessary to do it, and for doing it as a labor of love. Every year's theme has been outstanding, regardless of finished level turnout. The resources in those packages are really just amazing. It's always such a pleasure to play these levels and see the fruits of all that hard work.

BtB is how I discovered this community, it helped me through a very difficult time in my life back in 2010, and I hope that the yearly/every-other-year tradition can continue. Seeing the announcement for 2020's Tibet theme on the front page really made my day, and also gave me some woo woo vibes since I was thinking a few months ago that a Tibet BtB would be really awesome...

Reading through this thread has opened my eyes to what's going on behind the project scenes as well as in the community. I mostly lurk around and have done so for the last 10 years, so I'm not quite up to speed on some things. I'm also probably a mostly unknown face to most of y'all. Hi!

I hate to read that the project team feels underappreciated, though I can empathize and see why they would. To offer up a gift-wrapped box of resources composed of numerous hours of unpaid work, and then see it not being taken seriously, or watch people drop out from the competition like flies, or read posts that seem to be purely negative (regardless of what the poster intended) would definitely be the swarm of fruit flies in my post-project glass of wine that completely sours the experience. I can also see why potential builders might be discouraged from signing up; fear of failure or of not being able to deliver by the deadline can make something like this seem very daunting indeed. I know that the same worry about life getting in the way has discouraged me from volunteering/signing up for many things relating to my own hobbies and interests. But haven't there also been some really great releases from folks that popped up after the official competition deadlines? Bigfoot's "City of Memory" was great and it was built using the Greece resources, though not released as a part of that year's BtB rollout. "The Vespa of Papa Razzi" also comes to mind, from 2010's Venice. Not sure if those builders had intended to release the levels as part of the competition or not? They had the same vibe, so I had assumed that was the case. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Point being, I would hope that those folks who were unable to complete their levels on time felt empowered enough to go ahead and finish them anyway because they can be released after the fact. I would hope that they wouldn't feel like the only option was to drop-kick the headway they'd made (and the hours of hard work) to the dustbin. I realize that this detracts from the 'competition experience' for level builders, but want to throw my $0.2 opinion in as a player. I'd be super excited to play those late levels, especially since I binge-play the BtB levels and then have a case of the 'sads' when I'm done. Seeing "City of Memory" pop up in the Latest Levels listing after I mowed through the Greece levels was like getting an unexpected Christmas present. New levels are a good thing. New levels are always a welcome thing. New levels are always appreciated. You win my gratitude, and I'm sure you also win the gratitude of a bunch of other folks. Granted, there's no competition trophy and bragging rights that comes with that!

In spite of the uncountable hours logged raiding with Lara, I couldn't build my way out of a paper bag or a pickle bucket, and have no clue - beyond the horrifying uploaded images of constant program barfing/crashing - what the difference between TombEditor and TRNG even is. But, like I said before, I'm in IT and one of the things I have to do is make 15+ year old software for expensive, specialized, industrial spectrometer equipment play nice with W10 1809 & 1903 each week, so I understand what a test in patience it is to make old and new get along in the same sandbox. Theoretically you should be able to make it work either in a VM or via some compatibility mode tweaks. In reality it's mostly purely pain, and why the local craft breweries make so much money off me. This is why it made me really happy to read through the series of posts in this thread and watch an alternative being hashed out, owned and implemented. Changes happen, because technology keeps changing and growing. Quickly. My fear has been that Op. Systems are going to get so grumpy and incompatible with the old TRLE tools that the whole subculture and hobby crash and burn. Now I see that there has been some behind the scenes Herculean labors going on to make tools that play nice with the newer systems.

Holy cow... that's huge. I mean, that's really, really, REALLY huge. There are people out there doing it because they LOVE Tomb Raider. They love the custom level experience and by extension the rest of us, whether players or builders. It's been a labor of love. And now I see that BtB and all the folks involved, and my favorite community on the whole wide Interwebs (y'all are my favorite, even though I mostly hang out around the edges of the metaphorical room with a beer in hand) has come to an agreement that they're going to accept the changes, research the new tools and adopt them for a longstanding community tradition.

I can't wait to see what the new year holds.
Last edited by Chel on 01 Dec 2019 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 01 Dec 2019 00:45

Hear, hear. Now that's what I call positive feedback. It's virtually a thesis. :2thumbsup:
No one but ourselves can free our minds...

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Matie » 01 Dec 2019 23:34

I couldn't be happier about the update, thank you so much!! :2thumbsup: I signed up of course, I'm really looking forward to this. It'd be nice to finish another BtB level, it'll be 10 years since my last one :-o