Back To Basics 2020 - Tibet - Builder Registration

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Tolle87

Re: Back To Basics 2020 - Tibet - Builder Registration

Post by Tolle87 » 21 Nov 2019 22:12

Soul wrote:
21 Nov 2019 21:19
I just don't see, how people, who register and not submit something for whatever reason are harming the contest.

This is a valid point, I tend to agree pretty much with that, but our personal opinions on the matter are not important at this point. You just have to remember that this BtB team didn't invent their own rules. They (we) just reminded the players of the long-established rules from years and years ago. The rules that are constantly being exploited and abused more and more with every BtB, so that's probably the only reason for them being expressed in the way which sounds more "loud" than usual. And a very important point - "abuse" DOESN'T mean not finishing the level, it just means never even intending to.

Based on my experiences in the last four BtB events and as a member of the current BtB team, I guarantee that everybody who shows the slightest honest intention of building a level in any way( level pictures, sub-forum discussion etc.) won't be considered to have done anything wrong, at least in my book.

I'm not saying all of this for the purposes of "defending" Michael, Jesus, myself or the team in general. I am saying that because I would just love to see more levels being released. And trust me - The difference between honest registration and the "fake" one is always obvious in the sub-forum during the building period, so I assure you there is no way for anyone "innocent" to get labeled in any way, regardless of him/her finishing the level or not.

Not having builders such as Mytly and yourself only because of the tone in which some posts have been written, I would personally look at as a very big defeat of the almost always friendly community.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 21 Nov 2019 23:13

Perhaps we should rename it "Back to Bitchin'," because that's all I've seen since I implored all of us to concentrate on the positive.

MMAN

Post by MMAN » 21 Nov 2019 23:28

Still need to think on it a bit, but if Tomb Editor (not 100% on that yet?) is approved I'll definitely consider joining. I still plan on finishing my BTB Northern Legend and Space maps, and Tomb Editor is a major reason for me wanting to go back (hell, I admit Tomb Editor is probably a reason I lost initial motivation on my Space map in the first place, as I knew a better editor was on the horizon). So if I'm not limited on that I'm interested.

Nina Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Nina Croft » 21 Nov 2019 23:40

Someone asked for volunteers for writing instructions... I can help with that !

And don't forget to include me in the list of the builders, this is the chance I don't want to miss! I'm aware of your requirement, and I will publish whatever finished until May 2020.
Proudly testing Dark City 2... This time as Lima's girlfriend... Making sure he remains diligent :blush: :roll: :angel:
---------
Anything money can buy is cheap (Remarque)[/b]

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 22 Nov 2019 01:31

MichaelP wrote:
21 Nov 2019 16:56
And again, let me put this in perspective a bit, Marek.

I actually understand your reaction here, given it was indeed a conscious choice of Jesus to do this in "secrecy" which I fully supported for a number of reasons I do not want to discuss here, but your reaction is also a bit out of context.

There is a VERY significant difference between "offering to help" and "taking the lead"...
Sorry Michael, I just saw this announcement today and to that I was in quite a rush as I had no time at all so that I did not express myself fully and properly, I just got home now. Right, from what I understand from Jesus's post, he means that it should have never been taken out that the BtB is over, not that the BtB package was being made in secrecy that's in some way fine, but the fact that the BtB was in danger and it should have stayed in secrecy according to him is ridiculous. I fail to understand any valid reason for that. He doesn't own the BtB competiton, he has "only" overtaken the leadership thus he has no right to do such things as mentioned above. Not to mention all the blames throwing at the whole community that how actually it's all ours fault that the btb is dying and how it is on us if we want to see next one. Well I don't know what kind calculation he will use to decide if this round of btb will be succesful or not. If there are 4 registered builders and 4 released levels is it succesful? If there are 20 registered and 4 released levels is it unsuccesful? If there are 50 registered builders and 25 released levels is it unsuccesful? Because it's him who brought up this whole number thing into this next episode of BtB so I am not sure now really.

Speaking from my own experience, I participated twice so far, one time level released the other time did not. Yes I admit when I participated second time in Persia theme, I did not really attempted to build a level for it though I went through the whole package I spent like hours on it and I even came up with the ideas and then I simply lost inspiration and when you lose inspiration then you can't create or else nothing good will come up of it. I don't want to make a mistake as I did with my first BtB that I also lost inspiration several times throughout the building process but I forced myself to finish it regardless and see? Me not overly impressed with the result regarding terms of gameplay, trust me that I consider it a failure which I am not gonna repeat. I've been even building for the CaC 2019 and you know what? The level was about 95% done at the deadline! So yeah I could have finished it to force myself rushing the unfinished parts and details but I did not simply because I do care what I release. So if people participate in BtB they all can have motivation and inspiration at the beginning but if they lose these later then they either rush or force themselves or simply put them on hold for not to release something which they would not be satisfied with.

Regarding the help I wanted to offer, actually and honestly, was not really about accepting it or unaccepting it, but rather about un-responsiveness. This does not only apply particularily to "offering a help to the BtB", but also to quite a bunch of other things which I am not gonna drag in here...

On the positive note, I respect all the hard work Jesus has done and he really is skillful and dedicated person, I can clearly see how much he has done in the credit reference document, well we can admittedly say that 90% of the whole Space package was done by him alone! That is simply marvelous! And too bad he doesn't see or doesn't want to see how much the objects are used in custom levels including me, btb packages are actually the primary source of objects for my projects. Do I modify or adjust most of them to fit in my level? Yes I do and I hope I will not get into trouble later on as I give out all the credits and mention all the adjustments to it. So trust me that I want BtB to stay alive but if such attitude is a price for it then I rather stay away from it...

BigFoot

Post by BigFoot » 22 Nov 2019 09:50

WHOUAA !!! I'm very excited about the theme of this btb :D .
I loved the Tibet in TR2 and also the various levels building like Himalayan Mysteries or The Discovery and Monastery of Talion by Phryne :angel: !!!
And with 5 months and TRNG, I think I can be abble to build something interesting (but not Shambhala because Lara ever visited it in 2014 :lol: ).
You can count me :) !!!

Thanks a lot to keep the btb spirit alive guys :angel: !!!

Soul
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Soul » 22 Nov 2019 11:34

@Phil: I don't see all that much bitchin'. If you actually read the postings, there are valid comments on both 'sides'...it's a forum and people will give their opinions on forums. And devaluating either side by summing it up as "bitchin' " isn't really adding anything. Indeed it's quite close to my definition of actual bitchin.
Tolle87 wrote:
21 Nov 2019 22:12
Not having builders such as Mytly and yourself only because of the tone in which some posts have been written, I would personally look at as a very big defeat of the almost always friendly community.
I'm very sorry, if this came across as if the tone of the posting is the only reason, as it really is not. I just wanted to give insight, why the opening post was somewhat offputting to me personally and how others, who are in the same boat might see it. And by that I mean people who haven't built something in ages but feel like the BtB might be a great opportunity to get back to it, as they get everything they need without having to worry about textures or objects (and I'm sure the package will be amazing, as Jesus indeed is a great creator :2thumbsup: )

Anyway: Writing all this down here actually helped me with my decision. I'll think about it some more but I guess I should give it a shot. Luckily there's still more than enough time to make the final decision.

Mytly wrote:
21 Nov 2019 19:33
When I saw the theme, I had a momentary urge to sign up for the contest again. I haven't been able to finish building in time the previous three times I participated, but hey, maybe fourth time's the charm? :wink:
I'd say it is. :2thumbsup:

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 22 Nov 2019 13:22

Soul wrote:
22 Nov 2019 11:34
Anyway: Writing all this down here actually helped me with my decision. I'll think about it some more but I guess I should give it a shot. Luckily there's still more than enough time to make the final decision.

Very glad to see that :)
As Michael said, we should all focus on the positives. I hope Mytly joins as well.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 22 Nov 2019 13:25

Soul wrote:
22 Nov 2019 11:34
@Phil: I don't see all that much bitchin'. If you actually read the postings, there are valid comments on both 'sides'...it's a forum and people will give their opinions on forums. And devaluating either side by summing it up as "bitchin' " isn't really adding anything. Indeed it's quite close to my definition of actual bitchin.
As the saying goes: The dog that gets hit is the one that hollers.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 22 Nov 2019 13:37

Wow... just wow.
I mean woof.
woof

Tombraider95

Post by Tombraider95 » 22 Nov 2019 13:46

I haven't seen anyone "bitchin" either. People are allowed to voice their views and concerns whether or not it's positive or negative. :?

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 22 Nov 2019 14:43

Oh... stop it already. 8)

Trikazz

Post by Trikazz » 22 Nov 2019 16:25

Ok, that's enough that most prefer TE over shit NGLE.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 22 Nov 2019 16:42

Polite and elegant as ever... A true gentleman. :toff:

Other than that, have you failed to notice, many posts ago, that TE has been enabled? How far does your attention span go?

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 22 Nov 2019 16:59

grrr....
just BUILD ALREADY
jorge you should join, I'm actually sure it would be something great
woof