Food For Thought

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Phil
Mod
Mod

Food For Thought

Post by Phil » 23 Sep 2019 00:09

I'm sure that some of the old-timers among us have noticed a mellowing of this site in recent years. None of us should long for the days when vicious exchanges seemed to pop up and linger with alarming regularity, but I feel that a fresh dose of stimulating interaction other than birthday celebrations and reviews of new levels would constitute a welcome change of pace.

During the middle of August, when new releases were few and far between, I started replaying Legacy of the Gods and enjoyed myself far more than I remembered when it first appeared more than 15 years ago.

We tend here to focus on the new levels, which is perhaps understandable, but the drawback is that the accumulated storehouse of gems from years gone by fade all too soon from our memories.

With this in mind, I suggest the creation of a new subforum here to be named "Classic Levels" or something similar. This would provide a central spot for the discussion of great releases that are being revisited or perhaps being enjoyed for the first time. Speaking only for myself, and using Legacy of the Gods as an example, I can say with conviction that I appreciate the builder's creative genius more now than I could have as a relatively new player 15 years ago. Such a subforum would serve the additional function of bringing timeless raids to the attention of new players who missed all the fanfare upon their initial release.

What say the rest of you?

Torry
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Food For Thought

Post by Torry » 23 Sep 2019 03:03

Here here. I am currently replaying the Quest of Gold series and am thoroughly enjoying myself. I played this over ten years ago so only vaguely remember bits and pieces so it plays as a totally new experience IMHO. It is a tough one with notorious timed runs and perplexing level design but a grand adventure all the same. I also dug out my Lara at the Movies disc from way back when and this will be my next re-visit.

Jay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Jay » 23 Sep 2019 11:01

Oooh, Lara at the Movies. I really should play that again, it was so good. Perhaps some of our builders might consider round two (sorry about the shameless begging there).

Nice idea Phil. My problem is I'm always trying to keep up my reviewing levels, thus having to go back to pre 2003. As you say, the release of new levels isn't what it used to be in terms of volume, but the overall quality is better. True, there are some outstanding levels from years ago, but for every Hall of Fame level there were many best left unmentioned. :D
Time may be a great healer
but it's a lousy beautician

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 23 Sep 2019 11:08

Maybe this won't count as "classic", but I'm currently replaying a few of the older Back to Basics sets (from 2010 onwards at least and I'm finishing up Persia once again), and I enjoyed them more this time around. Until very recently (when I had pretty much exhausted the archives), I was doing what Jay was doing and reviewing all of the older levels I had missed and found some veritable hidden gems along the way. So yeah, I think this subforum is a great idea to direct everyone's attention to the older raids. :2thumbsup:

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 24 Sep 2019 00:16

I’m an “old timer” (63) so this sounds like a good idea to me.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 24 Sep 2019 03:04

That's a good idea. I am playing Salvation right now and enjoying myself. I wouldn't mind a place where previous levels were suggested and appreciated.

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 24 Sep 2019 10:03

Nice idea, although not sure why that would require the creation of a new subforum? The 'Chat about a Level' subforum is perfectly suited for anyone to create threads about classic Levels they are (re-)playing and share and engage the community in their experience while doing so... :)

Teone

Post by Teone » 24 Sep 2019 11:12

The 'Chat about a Level' section is somehow evanescent.
I think we should put a Sticky-Thread with an index of Classic Levels, similar to the sticky indexes in the Walkthrough forum.

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 29 Sep 2019 01:48

I never played QOG and enjoyed it so much! Must have been when I was gone for a while. I am also looking for other levels I missed. I just want to play them all ! Love what I missed, just don't know what.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 29 Sep 2019 03:14

Teone wrote:
24 Sep 2019 11:12
The 'Chat about a Level' section is somehow evanescent.
I think we should put a Sticky-Thread with an index of Classic Levels, similar to the sticky indexes in the Walkthrough forum.
but when is it classic
if i play a new level like (Clara Sponge-A Very Bad Grund)
and replay it in 14 days
is it then a classic ???

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 29 Sep 2019 12:02

I don't know. Obviously not. It's got to be a bit loose and count on everyone's common sense. If such a section is even needed, that is.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 29 Sep 2019 20:32

vimmers wrote:
29 Sep 2019 03:14
But when is it classic
Some arbitrary time like say 10 years old could be classified as a classic

eRIC
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by eRIC » 29 Sep 2019 22:19

Replaying old games this season, (many i had not reviewed back then) , it is really strange how you can see them again with eyes that are now 10 or 15 years older. :freak: some seemed better in my memory , and for others i think i can better appreciate the work that was done at that time.
on my short playlist right now is Hidden Garden NG. 8)

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 30 Sep 2019 00:00

Storm Chaser wrote:
29 Sep 2019 20:32
vimmers wrote:
29 Sep 2019 03:14
But when is it classic
Some arbitrary time like say 10 years old could be classified as a classic
Isn't any level classified as classic, which is based on classic assets and contains classic elements and classic aspects (tr1-tr5)? :? It could be either brand new or 20 years old...
Where is no challenge there is a boredom

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 30 Sep 2019 23:49

OverRaider wrote:
30 Sep 2019 00:00
Isn't any level classified as classic, which is based on classic assets and contains classic elements and classic aspects (tr1-tr5)? :? It could be either brand new or 20 years old...
That’s a good point.