Let's Play Tomb Raider - Christmas Style!

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

High Priestess

Let's Play Tomb Raider - Christmas Style!

Post by High Priestess » 04 Dec 2017 17:13

Well here we all are in the cold (UK) month of December. I absolutely adore Christmas levels so please share lots of the existing entries from days gone by :angel:

I have played a great few that gravitate towards the German markets which I adore.

Any suggestions, Playmates? :2thumbsup:

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Re: Let's Play Tomb Raider - Christmas Style!

Post by Mytly » 04 Dec 2017 18:06

Finding good Christmas levels is not hard, since there's a separate class especially for them, and since most of the LB Advent Calendar levels are Christmas levels. However, here are a few specific recommendations:

Since you like German markets, the quintessential level of this kind is LB Advent Calendar 2009 - Augusta Treverorum by Eva. It is set in a lovely, realistic Christmas market in the German city of Trier.

Though this level is only tangentially related to Christmas, it does feature a Christmas market (in Jerusalem, though, not in Germany), and is incredibly atmospheric: LB Advent Calendar 2010 - Wesselys last will by Clara & Sponge. (It's also a prequel to the amazing Jerusalem Project by Clara, masha & Sponge - that one's not Christmas-related, but it's definitely a must-play any time of the year. :2thumbsup: )

A cute and sweet level by our dear Mugs ( :cry: ): LB Advent Calendar 2012 - Christmas Dreams. It features a rather surreal Croft Manor and a more realistic and very pretty town.

This one has a lot of lovely locations, including beautifully decorated homes, a church, a crypt and even a fantasy level: LB Advent Calendar 2013 - Three Ghost Stories by Raidermatty. The gameplay is very non-linear, though, so keep the walkthrough handy.

This features a lovely village and castle: LB Advent Calendar 2007 - Snowwhite by Mr XY.

This is more a cold/snowy level than an Xmas one, but since it's officially in the latter category and it's one of my all-time favourite levels, I can't help recommending it: LB Advent Calendar 2014 - Tibetan Winter Remake by Mr XY. Extremely beautiful and atmospheric levelset with some very ingenious puzzles. :2thumbsup:

Another one that's more cold/snowy than Xmas, but definitely worth playing: TR Forge Advent Calendar 2010 - Mystica by Luke. It's also pretty non-linear, with some unusual puzzles, so you may need the walkthrough for this as well.

I could probably mention several more levels, but these should be more than enough to start with. :D

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 04 Dec 2017 20:37

Is there a walk through for Augusta?

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 04 Dec 2017 20:46

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 04 Dec 2017 21:11

Thanks buddy! :D

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 05 Dec 2017 16:53

Mytly thank you very much for all those links :balloon: There are a few in there I recognise but may have not completed nor reviewed.

I am replaying some levels I had forgotten to review so there's no harm in returning to enjoy them a second time. I pretty much spend upwards of thirty minutes some evenings refreshing the home page in order to hit upon some Chritmas levels as I enjoy them so much. Basically Christmas and urban/city levels appeal the most!

There's one in there I am sure I have missed however - or more to the point have not completed, the Ghost Stories one and possibly Snowwhite so thank you for bundling those links - you've saved me a lot of time searching :2thumbsup:

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 05 Dec 2017 17:31

it sounds like a hard way to find levels
there are 168 levels classified as xmas levels
if you click on rating seen in my pic
you can choose to see the levels with lowest scores click twice and u see the highest
:xmas:

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 05 Dec 2017 19:18

Thank you Vimmers. An early Merry Christmas to you and your family xx

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 08 Dec 2017 21:41

High Priestess wrote:
05 Dec 2017 16:53
I pretty much spend upwards of thirty minutes some evenings refreshing the home page in order to hit upon some Chritmas levels as I enjoy them so much.
Is that how you always look for levels? I thought that was your method only when you wanted to inject a bit a randomness into the levels you play. :?

Anyway, as Vimmers points out, a far easier way to find specific kinds of levels is to look though the level listing and choose which class/rating you want, or search for specific authors or levels with certain names - for example, as I mentioned in my previous post, almost all LB Advent Calendar levels are Christmas levels, so just type LB Advent Calendar (or even just LB) in the levelname field. A lot of TR Forge Advent Calendar levels are Christmas ones too, but they tend to be more various.

Hope this helps! :)

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 29 Jan 2018 14:13

That's all well and good but certain authors have a wholly different builder name than their username lol.

But it's all good, many thanks x :angel: