Tomb Raider II - The Dagger of Xian

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

High Priestess

Tomb Raider II - The Dagger of Xian

Post by High Priestess » 18 Nov 2017 17:22

This was my first ever raid. It was my second gaming experience after finding and playing "Nitemare 3-D" (essentially a more modern upgrade of the text-based Hugo games), on a shareware disk.

I saw TR II in a supermarket and it appealed but sadly, back then my existing desktop PC refused to run it so I spent over £800 on a new Dell Dimension :D In between I have had the Inspiron and now I have the Alienware X51 which is basically built for gaming.

It's funny but, if I ever play TR II after all these years, I can recall what I was doing way back in 2003 when I first played. Certain sounds and ambiences remind me of a very heartbreaking time as I was separating from my then husband and literally threw myself into the game. The Core Design disk won't run these days under Windows 10 so I bought a bundle from GoG - an online store that makes older games compatible with newer OS'.

TR II will still always retain a place in my heart. Ergo I would be interested to read of other members' recollections and stories :)

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Tomb Raider II - The Dagger of Xian

Post by Ryan » 18 Nov 2017 17:43

TR2 was my first foray into raiding as well, about 10 years ago, and as such, I'll remember it for introducing me to the series I an dearly fond of. I never managed to play the original TR1 without using the hassle that Glidos provided with, but I'm pleased to hear that I can play TR1 custom levels with much less fuss, even on my newer system. TR2 still remains my favourite though.

High Priestess

Re: Tomb Raider II - The Dagger of Xian

Post by High Priestess » 18 Nov 2017 23:48

Ryan wrote:
18 Nov 2017 17:43
TR2 was my first foray into raiding as well, about 10 years ago, and as such, I'll remember it for introducing me to the series I an dearly fond of. I never managed to play the original TR1 without using the hassle that Glidos provided with, but I'm pleased to hear that I can play TR1 custom levels with much less fuss, even on my newer system. TR2 still remains my favourite though.
Yes if you go to GOG.com you should easily find the TRI and TRII bundle which was affordable as I recall. I played TRII then I too tried the Glidos version of TRI but couldn't get rid of that pesky Glidos spinning logo and didn't ever figure out how to pay the dollars to have a code that removed it (I didn't know about PayPal and wasn't then doing online banking nor making purchases).

Once I set up all of that I went straight to TR III. I was absolutely blown away by the London levels!

Often I play Venetian rebuilds via TR:LE so never felt much of a need to replay TR II in its entirety. Also I've played some re-mods of the Maria Doria. But yes, good to hear it was your first dabble too! It'll always have a special place in my heart in spite of the horrible times I was having back then!

I also have The Lost Artefact which I think was a release between The Last Revelation and Chronicles. A friend bought it for me from eBay :D