What is your Most Hated Manoeuvre?

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

High Priestess

What is your Most Hated Manoeuvre?

Post by High Priestess » 18 Nov 2017 02:25

For me it used to be rope-swinging. After that, tightrope-walking. I have mastered both now so it is definitely banana jumps :D

How about yours? :wink:

Oh and feel free to include gaming tips! 8)

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: What is your Most Hated Manoeuvre?

Post by vimmers » 18 Nov 2017 03:27

timed swimming in labyrinths

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 18 Nov 2017 12:25

For me its not a hate just a slight struggle (and it can be a dislike) When you Jump off a rope onto another rope. Because it is always hard to get to the next rope
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life."

Jay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Jay » 18 Nov 2017 14:25

Funnily enough, rope work is the one thing I've always been rather good at. I'm definitely with Vimmers on this one; underwater mazes, especially timed ones, are something I hate with the force of a thousand suns. :D It doesn't help that I have no sense of direction whatsoever, either. Tightrope walking is just plain boring. After some clever soul invented that chain that Lara can swing across, I was really dearly hoping that tightropes would become a thing of the past. Sigh.
Time may be a great healer
but it's a lousy beautician

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 18 Nov 2017 16:12

JoeTheCrazyGamer wrote:
18 Nov 2017 12:25
For me its not a hate just a slight struggle (and it can be a dislike) When you Jump off a rope onto another rope. Because it is always hard to get to the next rope
Yes, there seems to be a flaw in this particular manouver which involves the vision key being off-sight. If you get Lara dead centre she will start swinging far off to the left or right AND often she won't let go of the rope because she has her legs dangling or goes way too high.

As you know, some adjacent ledges (for the banana jump), often cause me to abandon ship. Mugs once confessed in PM to me that the one in her level Alcatraz was the worst mistake she ever made :bigcry: Her levels were great but extremely challenging at times and try as I did, I just couldn't make that jump. Maybe someday I will reload that level and ressurect the stuck thread - to ask if someone can do that jump for me but it was challenging from the outset.

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 18 Nov 2017 16:12

vimmers wrote:
18 Nov 2017 03:27
timed swimming in labyrinths
Yes! I hate underwater mazes and if timed they become very stressful!! :2thumbsup:

Luisa

Post by Luisa » 19 Nov 2017 21:03

A sequence of slipped platforms. Bonus if theres a fire intermission, extra bonus if it's timed.
MAKE TOMB RAIDER CAMPY AGAIN

psiko

Post by psiko » 26 Nov 2017 12:59

mazes that force you to stay crawling for hours. Luckily there are few. I think underwater mazes make the pair with this. But in the end, underwater mazes can be made easier by a good texturization and characterization of the locations. Crawl mazes instead can't be healt by anything.

A_De

Post by A_De » 26 Nov 2017 13:36

Luisa wrote:
19 Nov 2017 21:03
A sequence of slipped platforms. Bonus if theres a fire intermission, extra bonus if it's timed.
Yes. This makes me wishing to bin the game immediately :bigcry:

And also all the jumps which are based on pixel-perfect aiming. This is where the block system is overused, it becomes true evil and headache.
For some reason this called "challenging" in reviews. I prefer rather challenges for mind than fingers however.

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 28 Nov 2017 00:59

I agree with regard to the collapsible platforms that are also unfairly lined-up. The good thing about these is the ability to save before that first jump. Time and aim it right and you can suspend Lara so she is hanging from the edge of one before climbing up and lining up the jump to the next.

With regard to tightrope walking - the moment Lara starts to become unbalanced, a good tip is to just stop moving her forward for a split second then press forward again - this can prevent her from getting into an unescapable flipping motion from side to side. That said, I can NEVER complete one without curling my toes and becoming increasingle nervous :lol:

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 28 Nov 2017 08:46

I don't necessarily hate specific manoeuvres (though tightrope walking is definitely a contender :annoyed: ), but rather I hate it when you have to perform tricky manoeuvres, like banana jumps or rope swinging or navigating a series of traps, while under time constraints or while being attacked by enemies. These manoeuvres require precise positioning - but if you're doing a timed run or avoiding an enemy, there's no time to position Lara precisely, and so a manoeuvre that's otherwise pleasantly challenging (at least for me) becomes nightmarishly difficult. For example, in one level, you have to do a series of banana jumps while avoiding getting fried by a fire-breathing dragon and/or devoured by locusts. In another, you have to do a double rope-swing twice while avoiding getting killed by a wraith. Argh! :furious:

A related problem is when there is a fixed camera angle when you have to do a tricky jump, which prevents you from lining up the jump precisely. It's just a way to add cheap difficulty to the task.

Dustie

Post by Dustie » 28 Nov 2017 12:46

Turning Lara around while crawling to get out of a crawlspace. And climbing in general.

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 04 Dec 2017 16:09

Mytly wrote:
28 Nov 2017 08:46

A related problem is when there is a fixed camera angle when you have to do a tricky jump, which prevents you from lining up the jump precisely. It's just a way to add cheap difficulty to the task.
Use the binoculars :D

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 04 Dec 2017 16:39

Not an option when you're trying to do a timed run, unfortunately. :|

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 14 Dec 2017 15:07

Tight ropes, some are ok but some are impossible. Forget banana jumps :angry: and as everyone knows timed runs that are too tight!!!