What is your Most Hated Manoeuvre?

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Luisa

Re: What is your Most Hated Manoeuvre?

Post by Luisa » 14 Dec 2017 21:25

but worse than a sequence of slipped platforms is a sequence of dropping/crumbling platforms, that are usually disposed in such a way that you must take some time to position Lara before jumping so she can reach the next platform, but before you get to jump the platform Lara was standing in has already fallen sending her to her death. Or you make the jump too early to avoid being dropped but you can't reach the next platform because it demanded some precision in your jump so you die anyway. It's not an ability challenge, it's a lucky challenge of trying aimlessly multiple times until you make it.
"I'm a dangerous girl, and right now I'm losing patience."

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 17 Dec 2017 09:52

Luisa wrote:
14 Dec 2017 21:25
but worse than a sequence of slipped platforms is a sequence of dropping/crumbling platforms, that are usually disposed in such a way that you must take some time to position Lara before jumping so she can reach the next platform, but before you get to jump the platform Lara was standing in has already fallen sending her to her death. Or you make the jump too early to avoid being dropped but you can't reach the next platform because it demanded some precision in your jump so you die anyway. It's not an ability challenge, it's a lucky challenge of trying aimlessly multiple times until you make it.
I agree as sometimes it is impossible (as I hinted at before), to actually suspend Lara from the edges if they are diversely positioned. If they are lined up you can jump and grab without causing the platform to collapse but I have abandoned levels whereby the platforms have required diagonal jumps.

Another problem for me has been these tight diagonal "banana" jumps into high wall-openings AND those jumps from corner areas whereby a run-up isn't possible and whereby Lara just heads off on the wrong trajectory :angry:

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 18 Dec 2017 09:25

Dustie wrote:
28 Nov 2017 12:46
Turning Lara around while crawling to get out of a crawlspace. And climbing in general.
I second that, and add the slow shimmy animation... So happy when the fast animation is applied....

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 18 Dec 2017 13:22

Permission to provide a jarring note in this hatefest. :angel:
I rather like the various ‘slow’ animations (crawling, shimmying, monkeyswinging, ladderclimbing), because they remind the player that for all the astonishing feats that Lara is capable of performing, she’s not superhuman after all; the speeded-up animations look cartoonish by comparison and tend to take me right out of the game.
And speaking as a builder, I maintain the position that abusing these animations by forcing players to endure interminable crawls etc. is entirely the builder’s fault: either they failed to come up with an interesting solution to the problem of getting Lara from point A to point B, or else they’re forcing this ordeal on the players by intention. I’m not sure which is worse, the deplorable lack of imagination, or the ‘tee-hee’ sadism of the weakling.
Either way, like the presence of a maze in a level, interminable crawls etc. are a strong indication that the builder isn’t capable of using the game’s resources in a competent manner.