Let's Play Tomb Raider - Jungle Style!

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

High Priestess

Let's Play Tomb Raider - Jungle Style!

Post by High Priestess » 11 Nov 2017 09:50

Before we delightfully start the festive level recommendations, how about we discuss and suggest some nice jungle themed levels?

Any good ones out there? I recall one I never completed whereby Lara starts off in a tent. I think she has to start a fire nearby but this was years ago so that's about all I can remember. I never completed it as I moved home and also changed my computer so it was lost. Maybe Raiders can throw some suggestions my way?!!

Either way, let's hear some of your recommended jungle levels! :2thumbsup:

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Let's Play Tomb Raider - Jungle Style!

Post by Ryan » 11 Nov 2017 11:26

The Reflection of Eternity by teme9: http://trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=2542. This game has quite possibly the most beautiful jungle environment I've ever seen in a custom level. The end boss might be a bit too tricky though, as Lara only has the Crossbow and her pistols.

Another good choice could be Eye of Shiva: http://trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=1271 if you fancy generally relaxing gameplay. :)

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 11 Nov 2017 14:42

I'm not sure if the South Pacific Contest levels count as 'jungle themed' - they're not categorized under the Jungle class, though in terms of location, they can certainly be called jungle levels.

Anyway, all 6 levels of the South Pacific Contest are enjoyable and worth checking out, though these three are my personal favourites:
Happy playing! :)

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 11 Nov 2017 19:17

Wow some great looking level sets here, thanks folks! Mytly I don't mind the coastal levels being incorporated as they can be classified as jungle-esque to a degree :2thumbsup: Obviously some levels cross over from one genre to another. You can start off on a ship and end up on a desert island so it's all relevant! Wha matters is that we give Raiders some good links because I personally have been known to spend upwards of thirty minutes constantly hitting F5 on the homepage looking for levels.

It's not just looking at the title or image, I then have to open up the info page in a separate tab to read the reviews so it is way too time-consuming. Hence these threads - a means to save others (and me), time and trouble searching randomly :D

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 11 Nov 2017 19:24

I might add that I am not always a great fan of jungle levels. TRIII was a real novelty - the sounds and ambience were AMAZING but after a time I got a bit bored of the texturing :cry:

I like nautical levels for instance BUT in TRII I became half-crazed when playing all the Maria Doria levels. It was great at first but after a time, again the texturing started to bug my eyes (the bright rusty oranges and the blues). There wasn't enough diversity but it is an old game by today's standards.

That said, I like the vibrance of the earlier graphics. Some next-gen releases are just terribly dull by comparison - very bland colouration. Way to dumbed down - too many greys and dull greens that make it uninspiring for me. Anniversary is a prime example. I prefer textures like Venice from TRII :2thumbsup:

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 11 Nov 2017 19:37

You can be sure that any levels recommended by me won't be dull coloured. :wink: I love bright colours and lighting too. Venice in TR2 is one of my favourite locations in the original games. :2thumbsup:

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 12 Nov 2017 09:14

Mytly wrote:
11 Nov 2017 19:37
You can be sure that any levels recommended by me won't be dull coloured. :wink: I love bright colours and lighting too. Venice in TR2 is one of my favourite locations in the original games. :2thumbsup:
Agreed. Venice was amazing. TRII was my first ever Raid, It took me many weeks to complete and that was without any walkthroughs :D I was completely new to the game and I bought it from a local supermarket having just discovered third-person gaming on a shareware disc (nitemare 3D), back in 2003. My ancient computer at the time wouldn't run it so I bought a Dell Dimension just so I could play this game :D I'm now on the Alienware X51 but find that more modern TR releases are not built for the PC gamer unless you install a gamepad.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 12 Nov 2017 10:51

I don't think I'd ever really thought about it that way but I agree entirely on the really dull colours in more recent TR games. That actually keeps me away.
Same thing with several level releases although I may end up playing them (and not enjoying all those bland blues and greens).
"I waved to my neighbour/My neighbour waved to me/But my neighbour/Is my enemy/I kept waving my arms/Till I could not see/Under fifteen feet of pure white snow"

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 12 Nov 2017 10:58

Jorge22 wrote:
12 Nov 2017 10:51
I don't think I'd ever really thought about it that way but I agree entirely on the really dull colours in more recent TR games. That actually keeps me away.
Same thing with several level releases although I may end up playing them (and not enjoying all those bland blues and greens).
I think the problem here is the fact we seek escapism in a virtual world. Life can be dull so we tend to seek vibrancy in our games. If it is TOO realistic then one may as well go outside on a wet, dull day :(