Re: Back To Basics 2018 - Open for registration

Post by vimmers » 09 Nov 2017 02:24

yea i also got it to almost 6 months
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

chronicles5

Post by chronicles5 » 09 Nov 2017 05:29

Tombraider95 wrote: But the thing is, what does that even mean anymore? This Space theme is something Tomb Raider hasn't really done before, it's totally new. All the new objects and textures that are made, even Lara having additional animations. There's nothing "basic" about it. :-P We're now sending Lara to space! An updated, more stable editor surely isn't completely insane. :-o
I'm certainly not opposed to that, if that's the direction the BTB team wants to go in. Just saying it seems a bit too early in the development of Tomb Editor, and too late in the planning of this competition to expect them to make the switch this year.
Happy to be building again.

Tombraider95

Post by Tombraider95 » 09 Nov 2017 06:49

chronicles5 wrote:
09 Nov 2017 05:29
I'm certainly not opposed to that, if that's the direction the BTB team wants to go in. Just saying it seems a bit too early in the development of Tomb Editor, and too late in the planning of this competition to expect them to make the switch this year.
Oh yeah I wasn't expecting that either. But perhaps next year when the Tomb Editor is up and running. :2thumbsup:

Jesus C.Croft

Post by Jesus C.Croft » 09 Nov 2017 09:35

Tombraider95 wrote:
08 Nov 2017 14:04
Ah right okay. I think even if it is only one .tr4 file yet multiple scripts, it does feel like more than one level. Not breaking, but bending the rules I suppose. Most people don't do this anyway, but I think it does make a big difference to the level overall when compared to the other levels in the contest.
It has been done before in past editions and no one complained about it. If people would have complained about this 'flexibility', the team could have decided to change that or not.
Tombraider95 wrote:
08 Nov 2017 22:09
chronicles5 wrote:
08 Nov 2017 18:59
but to me it makes sense for the "Back to Basics" challenge to stick with the classic editor we all know and love.
But the thing is, what does that even mean anymore? This Space theme is something Tomb Raider hasn't really done before, it's totally new. All the new objects and textures that are made, even Lara having additional animations. There's nothing "basic" about it. :-P We're now sending Lara to space! An updated, more stable editor surely isn't completely insane. :-o
Back To Basics will be Back To Basics no matter which theme is chosen. If we were stucked only with Core assets and winroomedit (which would be true to the Back To Basics name itself), we would be running out of ideas, repeating locations and making the competition boring. Back To Basics has evolved pretty well if you ask me, while developing new assets, flipeffects and an updated editor, it has stayed true to the well-known brand and the limits it needs to work right. Now, it's just not about a new editor, it's about what can offer and so far NGLE + TREP works flawlessly for the competition and its rules.
Mr XY wrote:
09 Nov 2017 01:44
The schedule mentions a building phase of 4 months and a week with a running time from December to May. What is right?
:hmm:
4 Dec 2017 - 6 May 2018 is the building phase. It's the right date. Perhaps around 5 months should be more correct to say. But that's definitely the date the builders have to follow. On the 7th of May, Michael has to have all the levels with him so the rest of the month is for us to prepare everything and final tests. But you are not allowed to build anything after the 6th of May. It has always been the same, just this time, we've rounded up dates a little more to benefit everyone in the process.

Don't forget that dates can be revised, as the rules say, according to the submitted levels. Sorry for all the possible confussion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Tomb Editor, no, it won't be included in this competition. Reasons are fairly easy, one of them is that there's no time to get used to it and, of course, we aren't going to release an editor that we don't know how it's used or if it's stable just because it's something new and exciting. When I said before that Tomb Editor had to prove its stability, I was also referring to the levels built with it. There are no levels built, we don't know how many builders will use it or how many levels will be made in a short time after its release or how many of them will work as intended.

It has no history at the moment and Tomb Editor needs to have one to be considered. If I saw that, let's say, in one year almost most levels were made with it, we could consider it as it'd prove that many people really want that tool. Let's see and we'll decide. But NGLE + TREP will stay for a really big while :). I hope this will clear any doubts about this subject :).
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different ".

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 09 Nov 2017 10:06

Jesus C.Croft wrote:
09 Nov 2017 09:35
Regarding Tomb Editor, no, it won't be included in this competition. Reasons are fairly easy, one of them is that there's no time to get used to it and, of course, we aren't going to release an editor that we don't know how it's used or if it's stable just because it's something new and exciting. When I said before that Tomb Editor had to prove its stability, I was also referring to the levels built with it. There are no levels built, we don't know how many builders will use it or how many levels will be made in a short time after its release or how many of them will work as intended.

It has no history at the moment and Tomb Editor needs to have one to be considered. If I saw that, let's say, in one year almost most levels were made with it, we could consider it as it'd prove that many people really want that tool. Let's see and we'll decide. But NGLE + TREP will stay for a really big while :). I hope this will clear any doubts about this subject :).
This exactly. :wink:
Whilst I'm excited about the prospects that the new Tomb Editor MAY offer in the future, I can't believe that people are speculating that it might be used in the current BtB. Tomb editor is NOT EVEN RELEASED AS A BETA yet. :roll: That would mean it would be in a public beta testing for at least a month or two from when the beta is released (supposedly around the 14th of November). Let alone an official release some time after that. Building for BtB2018 starts within a month, and this pack has been in development for more than twelve months with the current editor.
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

Tombraider95

Post by Tombraider95 » 09 Nov 2017 12:11

Jesus C.Croft wrote:
It has been done before in past editions and no one complained about it. If people would have complained about this 'flexibility', the team could have decided to change that or not.
That's fine! I was just stating how I see it :)
Jesus C.Croft wrote:
Back To Basics will be Back To Basics no matter which theme is chosen. If we were stucked only with Core assets and winroomedit (which would be true to the Back To Basics name itself), we would be running out of ideas, repeating locations and making the competition boring. Back To Basics has evolved pretty well if you ask me, while developing new assets, flipeffects and an updated editor, it has stayed true to the well-known brand and the limits it needs to work right. Now, it's just not about a new editor, it's about what can offer and so far NGLE + TREP works flawlessly for the competition and its rules.
That's what I mean, there's always areas to expand even if the competition is "Back to Basics". It has been over 10 years now :-o

Jesus C.Croft wrote:

Sounds good. I just didn't want it to be a definitely "no" because of old tradition. I have confidence that this new editor will get people back into building whenever it's released. Looking forward to it. :2thumbsup:

Mr XY

Post by Mr XY » 09 Nov 2017 12:29

Thanks for clearing that up with the schedule.

Space sounds very interesting, unfortunately the teaser is barely revealing (looks more underwater than space imo :D ).
I think I will sight the full package first before I make an ultimate decision.

Jesus C.Croft

Post by Jesus C.Croft » 09 Nov 2017 13:11

Then I take that if you don't like the package, you'll leave the competition? That's what I understood when reading your message, I could be wrong though. To see the full package you first must be registered, as you already know.

It'd be a shame that you have a look at the assets, once registered and then leave the competition with no level made because of them. Sorry to be a bummer here, but we've had people that get the assets and then leave us with the package already in their hands once they have made further decisions inside the builders forum.
Think about the BtBteam. It's disheartening to make a package after so much time invested to just see how people register, grab the assets, decide they don't want to go on and leave with the assets. It makes us sad.

The package isn't done as a showcase for people to inspect and then decide. If you're not sure about the theme, then (perhaps) it'd be better not to participate.
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different ".

Mr XY

Post by Mr XY » 09 Nov 2017 14:18

Jesus C.Croft wrote:
09 Nov 2017 13:11
Then I take that if you don't like the package, you'll leave the competition? That's what I understood when reading your message, I could be wrong though. To see the full package you first must be registered, as you already know.

It'd be a shame that you have a look at the assets, once registered and then leave the competition with no level made because of them. Sorry to be a bummer here, but we've had people that get the assets and then leave us with the package already in their hands once they have made further decisions inside the builders forum.
Excuse me but what do you want me to do? As I said I find the theme interesting but from the teaser alone I don't know if I can build a full level. So, yes, my plan is to register and have a look first to see if the theme and the package is my cup of tee. I'm in no way talking about quality here, I'm 100% certain the team has done an outstanding job - as usual.

Jesus C.Croft wrote:
Think about the BtBteam. It's disheartening to make a package after so much time invested to just see how people register, grab the assets, decide they don't want to go on and leave with the assets. It makes us sad.
To accuse me of being this person makes me sad, actually. I think I have proven enough what BtB means to me and that I support this competition.

Jesus C.Croft wrote:
The package isn't done as a showcase for people to inspect and then decide. If you're not sure about the theme, then (perhaps) it'd be better not to participate.
No comment.

Kitkat
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Kitkat » 09 Nov 2017 14:30

Mr XY wrote:
09 Nov 2017 12:29
Space sounds very interesting, unfortunately the teaser is barely revealing (looks more underwater than space imo :D ).
I think I will sight the full package first before I make an ultimate decision.
I hope you do get the inspiration to build a level. I always enjoy them.
Jesus C.Croft wrote:
I have to admit I'm guilty of not finishing my BtB-Steampunk and Greece levels, but certainly not because of the assets They were awesome! Alas, life got in the way, as happens sometimes. I'm super stoked about this theme and would like to go on record as saying that if I don't manage to finish on time it is simply down to my atrocious time keeping! ;)

:cat:

Nerkan

Post by Nerkan » 09 Nov 2017 14:35

Mr XY wrote:
09 Nov 2017 14:18
To accuse me of being this person makes me sad, actually. I think I have proven enough what BtB means to me and that I support this competition.
:2thumbsup:

Jesus C Croft: I understand you view of point 100%.... But this rule should be for new commer to BTB!
I mean if you have no idea with the package, then you will not build a level that will not match your own quality standard...right?

A sweet spot would be to see some pictures... I know this will not happen at all.
Greeting
Lara Croft alias Nerkan
(Srry for my Bad English!)
Which Level will I realease the next time? ...... I'll be damned if I know!

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 09 Nov 2017 14:39

Everybody: do not take everything personally, for Chryssakes! None of us are the centre of the universe.

I totally understand what Jesus C. Croft said. Anybody who's able not to read it subjectively will too, I'm sure.
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Kitkat
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Kitkat » 09 Nov 2017 14:45

Jorge22 wrote:
09 Nov 2017 14:39

I totally understand what Jesus C. Croft said. Anybody who's able not to read it subjectively will too, I'm sure.
Of course. :) But don't we all have opinions ;) I always feel so guilty when I don't finish on time, as silly as it might sound.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 09 Nov 2017 14:53

Naturally. But in that case, if you were already building and simply didn't meet the deadline, you (by you, I mean anybody, of course) can always finish the level, explain things to the team and release the level later together with a thank you note to the BtB's team. Simples.

Now, people feeling actually insulted in this particular forum, especially when the comment is clearly for the general public, is just a bit off, methinks.

For instance, there's one particular member who insists on calling my attention to the fact that I do this or did that or might do something else. I don't care. Maybe he's simple minded and believes *us southerners* are a lazy bunch or........... hmm, I don't know, the reasons could be multiple really. But I make it a point to get along with everybody here. :)
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Kitkat
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Kitkat » 09 Nov 2017 15:01

Jorge22 wrote:
09 Nov 2017 14:53
Naturally. But in that case, if you were already building and simply didn't meet the deadline, you (by you, I mean anybody, of course) can always finish the level, explain things to the team and release the level later together with a thank you note to the BtB's team. Simples.

I still have high hopes of releasing my Steampunk level. :D I firmly believe it will see the light of day. It has mutated into two levels and changed considerably since its inception...
Jorge22 wrote:
09 Nov 2017 14:53

But I make it a point to get along with everybody here. :)
Very sensible. Me too. :balloon: