Back To Basics 2018 - Open for registration

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Back To Basics 2018 - Open for registration

Post by Jorge22 » 07 Nov 2017 15:39

Yep. I'd thought of him too (obviously if the main theme is space).
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Tombraider95

Post by Tombraider95 » 07 Nov 2017 17:01

oooooo this looks interesting.

I didn't join last year as the theme didn't really interest me. I also didn't really have any time either. However this is pretty exciting, but I'd need to see what I'm working with before I can get inspired to build. :idea: I'm not sure if I'll have enough time although Dec-May sounds like plenty of time. I don't want to be a time waster but this theme doesn't happen often! 8)

chronicles5

Post by chronicles5 » 07 Nov 2017 18:56

Funny, I was just thinking "Hmm, been a while since I've been on the forums, better pop in and see what's going on." Great timing. :D

Love the idea of a Space theme, I'll definitely give it a go. Just sent in my registration info to Michael. Looking forward to seeing the package!
Happy to be building again.

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 07 Nov 2017 19:18

I'll give it a go. Honestly, as a player, I don't enjoy space levels that much, but I think space theme really suits my building style (which basically means it can hide my flaws very nicely :D ).

Can't wait to build again :)
Hallowed Be Thy Game

Revenge

Post by Revenge » 08 Nov 2017 09:09

OH MY GOSH !!! YES !! :-o :D :D this is gonna be epic !

I hope this time I will be able to finish my level in time xD
"I've been waiting so long for this moment, but we're finally interviewing this plant."

I'm Poppy. I'm Poppy. I'm Poppy. I'm Poppy. I'm Poppy. I'm Poppy. I'm Poppy. I'm Poppy. I'm Poppy.

Jesus C.Croft

Post by Jesus C.Croft » 08 Nov 2017 09:28

Kitkat wrote:
07 Nov 2017 13:30
:jump:

Is there a Xenomorph in the wad? Please, please please! I have the utmost faith in you boys. :D

Actually, I think I'm more stoked about the fact Lara looks like my favourite X-Man than the theme :lol:

:cat:
I won't say much :beatnik:, but trust me, this year's enemies are simply spectacular :D . I'm glad you like Lara's outfit too :D!
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different ".

Tombraider95

Post by Tombraider95 » 08 Nov 2017 12:34

I have a couple of questions also,

1. When the new Level Editor (Tomb Editor) gets released and is usable with TREP, will you be switching to that for BTB? Apparently it's a lot more stable than the current editor (as well as many other things) and since TRNG is still not a possibility it would be a good alternative for updating the contest. :2thumbsup:

2. So it states clearly the aim of the competition is to build ONE level. We all know this. I'm just a bit confused as to why there have been previous level submissions of builders who made more than one level? Or has somehow split the level into different parts. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the contest, and break the rules? :bigcry:

LoreRaider

Post by LoreRaider » 08 Nov 2017 12:36

It's just one .tr4 with different lara_start_pos in the map and scripting different levels for the same .tr4 file, so no rules were rushed :D

Jesus C.Croft

Post by Jesus C.Croft » 08 Nov 2017 12:53

Tombraider95 wrote:
08 Nov 2017 12:34
I have a couple of questions also,

1. When the new Level Editor (Tomb Editor) gets released and is usable with TREP, will you be switching to that for BTB? Apparently it's a lot more stable than the current editor (as well as many other things) and since TRNG is still not a possibility it would be a good alternative for updating the contest. :2thumbsup:

2. So it states clearly the aim of the competition is to build ONE level. We all know this. I'm just a bit confused as to why there have been previous level submissions of builders who made more than one level? Or has somehow split the level into different parts. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the contest, and break the rules? :bigcry:
As LoreRaider said, a single .tr4 file is created which is the aim of the contest. That counts as a single level. Another thing is the ability the script has to script two or more levels on a single project or .tr4. But that is part of the tool itself, so no rules are broken.

Regarding Tomb Editor, I'm aware of the great capabilities it has, but first it should come with a proper tutorial to learn the basics as it's clearly more powerful than the editor we're currently using. With the basics (and what's more) learnt, the team should decide, if the time comes, if it goes beyond the limits of the competition itself once the editor has proved it's as stable as it's intended to be.
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different ".

Tombraider95

Post by Tombraider95 » 08 Nov 2017 14:04

Jesus C.Croft wrote:
08 Nov 2017 12:53
As LoreRaider said, a single .tr4 file is created which is the aim of the contest. That counts as a single level. Another thing is the ability the script has to script two or more levels on a single project or .tr4. But that is part of the tool itself, so no rules are broken.

Regarding Tomb Editor, I'm aware of the great capabilities it has, but first it should come with a proper tutorial to learn the basics as it's clearly more powerful than the editor we're currently using. With the basics (and what's more) learnt, the team should decide, if the time comes, if it goes beyond the limits of the competition itself once the editor has proved it's as stable as it's intended to be.
Ah right okay. I think even if it is only one .tr4 file yet multiple scripts, it does feel like more than one level. Not breaking, but bending the rules I suppose. Most people don't do this anyway, but I think it does make a big difference to the level overall when compared to the other levels in the contest.
----
I'm pretty sure they're writing up a manual with the new editor so it'll be interesting to see how it works. Imo I think the sooner we get away from the old editor/trep, the better. It'll freshen up the contest. But yes it should be a team decision :)

Nerkan

Post by Nerkan » 08 Nov 2017 17:36

Ohh yes!!!
With the release of Tomb Editor, I was planning to build a new Level and one of my ideas was Space. So that is nice that the Package is nearly ready. :D
The package will be great again, I'm sure about this. Respect to the Package Builders. :2thumbsup:

But as TombRaider95 says, I hope you are thinking about the new Editor. The old one is now so limiting. I know every time we say BtB is for that, to go no further than the limits. But also the Objects become more complicated and in my opinion, we should go a step into the future.

It will also the same thing for everybody because the Tomb Editor is released nearly at a time when the Package is released. Therefore everybody will get the same opportunity to build their level with the new Editor. Also, I guess that the new Editor is fairly easy to use, maybe more than the old one.
Greeting
Lara Croft alias Nerkan
(Srry for my Bad English!)
Which Level will I realease the next time? ...... I'll be damned if I know!

Clara

Post by Clara » 08 Nov 2017 18:13

I love space levels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay: :2thumbsup:

chronicles5

Post by chronicles5 » 08 Nov 2017 18:59

Nerkan wrote:
08 Nov 2017 17:36
But as TombRaider95 says, I hope you are thinking about the new Editor. The old one is now so limiting. I know every time we say BtB is for that, to go no further than the limits. But also the Objects become more complicated and in my opinion, we should go a step into the future.

It will also the same thing for everybody because the Tomb Editor is released nearly at a time when the Package is released. Therefore everybody will get the same opportunity to build their level with the new Editor. Also, I guess that the new Editor is fairly easy to use, maybe more than the old one.
I'm excited about Tomb Editor as well, but isn't the initial release going to be a beta? I'm sure there will be bugs to be worked out and features that aren't finished yet. The BTB team has been working hard on this package with a specific version of the LE in mind, and to change that at the last minute could introduce many problems, even if they wanted to.

I don't mean to downplay the amazing work being done on Tomb Editor, just being realistic. I'm super grateful that we have awesome people working on new and better versions of TRLE, but to me it makes sense for the "Back to Basics" challenge to stick with the classic editor we all know and love.
Happy to be building again.

Tombraider95

Post by Tombraider95 » 08 Nov 2017 22:09

chronicles5 wrote:
08 Nov 2017 18:59
but to me it makes sense for the "Back to Basics" challenge to stick with the classic editor we all know and love.
But the thing is, what does that even mean anymore? This Space theme is something Tomb Raider hasn't really done before, it's totally new. All the new objects and textures that are made, even Lara having additional animations. There's nothing "basic" about it. :-P We're now sending Lara to space! An updated, more stable editor surely isn't completely insane. :-o

Mr XY

Post by Mr XY » 09 Nov 2017 01:44

The schedule mentions a building phase of 4 months and a week with a running time from December to May. What is right?
:hmm: