Octoberon

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

High Priestess

Re: Octoberon

Post by High Priestess » 07 Oct 2017 00:44

Great reading all your stories!

I've become somewhat of a storm-chaser so love the gloom. I also like it when the evenings draw in so much earlier. Having once lived in Singapore where the days were long and hot (aside from the monsoon season), I like the cosy way I can draw the curtains at 16.30 and snuggle into a onesie with a nice hot drink :D

Basically I would rather be cold and able to get warm and cosy than be overwhelmed by the heat and struggling to cool down.

October is a busy month - lots of decorating still going on, more new flooring and carpeting being laid on Monday plus a shed at the end of the month! The only downside is...as witnessed AGAIN tonight....SPIDERS!!!! :-o I was reduced to a quiverring wreck again with a HUGE Tegenaria on the wall about an hour ago. My partner dealt with it very calmly whist I died quite spectacularly :lol: :lol:

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 07 Oct 2017 10:54

@Lo

Glad to hear there is a kind of weather you like!

As for me, it's been cooler in the morning, but warm in the afternoon, and there is another tropical storm coming up.

I earned my stripe yesterday, it gives me confidence I can learn skills in a tight timeframe.

Good luck with all the decorating! As for spiders, well, spiders eat other more dangerous insects outside, but inside, dealing with them does require some caution. I deal with spiders every now and then because I live in a hot and humid place.
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 07 Oct 2017 15:53

Thank you, Hits!

Yes this is of course the time of year and it has been unusually humid meaning a lot of these (albeit harmless), house spiders are rather large but gradually we are determining their entry points and filling any holes in the skirting boards plus applying fine mesh on any air vents.

I am glad you are having some success with your fishing - a sport I used to enjoy some years ago, especially boat fishing trips. Are you planning to deploy your shotgun for quicker results? :D Great news about your stripe too, well done :2thumbsup:

I'm about to paint the utility room and apply a second and last coat of paint in the kitchen and porch - it is kind of a burnt orange/terracotta but not quite so dark - nice and airy and cheery. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Lo :angel:

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 07 Oct 2017 17:55

Regarding the shotgun, I'm getting ready for deer season (I may hunt some squirrel too). :)

I'll see how many fish I can get next time now that I have the right hook. ^^

Thank you for the congratulations, the martial arts class is really helping me feel better about myself in so many ways. I started the leadership portion of the program, and I'm making more progress as a result, especially in terms of self-confidence.

I'll make sure to be ready for the next job in terms of self-confidence!

Good luck with the rest of the home renovation project! I wish you a good weekend as well! :)

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 07 Oct 2017 19:58

Hitsumei wrote:
07 Oct 2017 17:55

Thank you for the congratulations, the martial arts class is really helping me feel better about myself in so many ways. I started the leadership portion of the program, and I'm making more progress as a result, especially in terms of self-confidence!
You are very welcome!

It is true to state that exercise and martial arts...or even yoga and such are what I call soul fodder. That is, they clean the mind and bring about a sense of achievement plus self-assured confidence. I was an athlete in the past but am now suffering with spinal problems as well as Tendonitis - both cause me much pain but I do have good days. I have the figure of an athelete but my body has failed me internally (I should have stuck to fishing lol) :D

Thanks for your customary kind wishes regarding the decorating. I am getting a bit fed up with it now. There's only so long a person can enjoy the challenge before it becomes somewhat of a chain around one's ankles! But this is the last leg now - one more coat in one room and just a tiny area left to paint twice. The rest is all done.

Best wishes,

Lo :angel:

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 07 Oct 2017 21:27

Indeed there is a sense of empowerment that comes with physical effort and achievement. Sorry to hear about your health woes, I do keep in mind self-care as I exert physical effort. And then the classes provide life lessons I apply elsewhere too.

Hang in there regarding decorating! For me, my biggest challenge now is dealing with a void that needs to be filled, but making sure it'll be something better, and that I'll be ready for something better.

I sent you a second PM, let me know when you'll have the time to look at it. I know you're busy, but it highlights where my current situation is.

I realize I need to work on mindfulness, but for some reason, sometimes when I work on something, I find myself overthinking and getting more nervous than necessary. But I need to relax in order to become more relaxed, focused and successful.

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 08 Oct 2017 08:24

Hits, I will get on to that PM immediately as I am out of action today with my ankle. The moment I woke up and swung into action, the blood flow to the injured tendon went gushing forth and I yelled out in pain :-o

Thank you for entrusting your concerns with me in the absence of dear Mugs. I am very humbled and I look forward to reading your new installment as well as offering my unstinting support :thanks:

I too am guilty of becoming "absorbed" in pressure and stress but it's not so bad if it keeps us on our toes. But don't let it own you. A bit of adrenaline is good - it keeps us focussed but you need to balance that with relaxing passtimes such as your hunting and fishing :angel:

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 08 Oct 2017 13:57

Thank you for your response Lo, and take care of yourself regarding your ankle. :hug:

The biggest thing to dealing with stress for me is to trust myself I think, that I can say the right things, do the right things...

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 09 Oct 2017 17:32

Hitsumei wrote:
08 Oct 2017 13:57
Thank you for your response Lo, and take care of yourself regarding your ankle. :hug:

The biggest thing to dealing with stress for me is to trust myself I think, that I can say the right things, do the right things...
Thank you, Hits! :hug:

I wouldn't worry too much about saying the wrong thing - we all do it but if we concentrate on fluffing it up at times we invariably end up doing precisely that :D Just say everything with a smile and most people won't notice if you make a faux pas!! :2thumbsup:

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 09 Oct 2017 18:18

@ hits, Congratulations!!! On all of your accomplishments!!!

@Lo, I'm with you on the weather! I love cool and cloudy days and would rather cuddle up then be hot!

@bene Hi long time no talk, nice to read your posts!

I would post more but my hands are not what they used to be.

@Jorge and Ryan, thanks for all your help and Jose :D I know I'm forgetting others like Dutchy and vims :D

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 09 Oct 2017 19:57

Thank you SuzanneJack!

Thank you for the advice Lo, that will help me feel confident and sure of myself!

The interview from IGN with Alicia Vikander had a few messages that really resonated with me, something to aspire to...

The idea that Lara isn't quite the action hero yet because she hasn't found her place in the world yet...

Yeah, I see where I'm owning my place in the world (things like martial arts and fishing, and being a hunting initiate), but also where I lack a solid footing (mainly a career that really resonates with me)...

I'm really glad the new Lara is around, she's fitting for this era.

Lara Croft has definitely been a significant influence on my childhood, but I'm glad the new Lara provides some inspiration in my challenging young adulthood too.

Yeah a lot of the work I have to do to have a successful career is internal. I especially have to have faith in developing new skills with ease, which despite the challenges I experienced in Georgia, is something I'm gradually gaining confidence in. In Idaho, I learned how determined I can be, and I scaled some pretty rocky terrain with amazing success. Now in Georgia I am learning I can learn anything with a solid strategy and confidence.

I can learn things and be successful, I just have to believe it with my every being. And then feel really comfortable with my place in the world.

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 09 Oct 2017 22:32

Hi to all...Suzanne, it does get more difficult the older we get...my hands think Advil was made just for me (and others just like me)....lol

...still waiting for the cooler weather but pumpkin spice is everywhere so it's not too far behind....:)

Moonpooka
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Moonpooka » 10 Oct 2017 09:41

Jorge22 wrote:
01 Oct 2017 23:27
I remember England (or the UK, whatever) accepted the Scottish referendum.

That's exactly what I thought, Jorge, when this was news.. so as long as the high and mighty say it's ok then that's ok.. and the EU is supposed to be a wonderful democracy.. I think not and IMO, democracy doesn't really exist if you are not following the elite sheep.

On the weather note, cold and raining lol
We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 10 Oct 2017 11:37

Did you really think we live in a democratic, humane world? :wink3:

The EU... I think there's a future but I can't forget we're all as divided as we are united. Think of the crisis that started with the banks everywhere (namely in the US and French and German banks suddenly scared)... Did the politicians give the people the realistic idea that there had been some truly chaotic economic policies going on? Nope - they could not. So, at the sight of austerity, what did they do? The easy thing. Convincing everybody everywhere that we were all lazy and had been spending way above our means at the expense of others. Divide and conquer. That was really disgusting. :bullshit:

As for the weather, it's quite nice for October, which is good IMO (bad in the farmers' opinion). :sunny:
Last edited by Jorge22 on 10 Oct 2017 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 10 Oct 2017 15:11

bene wrote:
09 Oct 2017 22:32
Hi to all...Suzanne, it does get more difficult the older we get...my hands think Advil was made just for me (and others just like me)....lol

...still waiting for the cooler weather but pumpkin spice is everywhere so it's not too far behind....:)
bene, I take aleve, but it doesn't help much anymore. Not even with a half of pain med, but I won't take more than a half, messes my tummy up!

Just started my fall decorations last night, but it will take about a week in my condition and I really don't have much to put up.