https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ndhidEmUbI

Share your impressions!
"If I had a coconut for everytime some lunatic said something like that..."

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: TOMB RAIDER Movie - Topic for News & Speculation

Post by Jorge22 » 20 Sep 2017 16:51

My impressions (and, yes, I did watch the clip): it will very probably be just as bad as the previous ones which is just normal for everything you ever adapt from one media to another with very few exceptions in between.

Now, if somebody wishes to say I take pleasure in being negative about things, please be my guest... :)

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 21 Sep 2017 00:30

I think the movie is promising. :) I love the trailer!

While I liked the old Tomb Raider games, the last two official Tomb Raider games had a story that really, really resonated with me. The idea of a Lara Croft who goes through so much to become a Tomb Raider is something I deeply relate to. Rise of the Tomb Raider is my all-time favorite Tomb Raider game.
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 21 Sep 2017 10:08

To be brutally honest (and this is unusually brutal for me), I won't be watching it if I can successfully avoid it.

Let me explain. For me, Superman was Christopher Reeve and only Christopher Reeve. The movie version of Lara Croft will always belong to Angelina Jolie. At the time, there were a few able contenders but Jolie nailed it in my opinion so this new chick has a LOT to live up to.

I guess I have a mental imprint of what Lara should look like and Alicia Vikanda isn't it. That is in spite of Lara's changing visage over the years. Her accent is slightly off (I am a well-bred English lady), and it seems too put-upon and regimented.

As a stand-alone it may be a good movie but another thing that seems prevelant is that old chestnut of a CGI overdose whereby Jolie performed her own stunts within achievability of course.

This, however, comes from a Raider who couldn't finish nor progress beyond Anniversary as a PC gamer due to the sheer amount of unfriendly keyboard commands set upon a very inept typist. And then there were the camera angles being controlled by the mouse - too problematic.

It's a shame Jolie didn't take up the role again but frankly, she seems reluctant to gain an ounce of weight and has been skeletal for a couple of years now. I doubt she would have agreed to gain the required muscle as she had to for the previous two movies in which she played Lara.

Moonpooka
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Moonpooka » 22 Sep 2017 08:53

I like Alicia and I think she will do well playing a younger Lara. I'm looking forward to the film :-)
We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 22 Sep 2017 13:16

Moonpooka wrote:
22 Sep 2017 08:53
I like Alicia and I think she will do well playing a younger Lara. I'm looking forward to the film :-)
yes remember it's a young lara that never being on a raid before
that's why i think it will be a god movie
it looks familiar to rise of tomb raider

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 22 Sep 2017 15:39

Moonpooka wrote:
I hadn't actually realised Lara was being portrayed as her younger self. Thank you :2thumbsup:

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 22 Sep 2017 16:06

High Priestess wrote:
22 Sep 2017 15:39
Moonpooka wrote:
I hadn't actually realised Lara was being portrayed as her younger self. Thank you :2thumbsup:
Ditto.

Still, I can only think of two films that were adaptations of something else (books in both instances) which were actually good: The Unbearable Lightness of Being and The Name of the Rose (there may have been other nice adaptations but I don't recall right now). Even though in both instances the books were better. This is debatable, of course. :)

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 22 Sep 2017 16:50

I didn't like the first two movies for the same reasons I didn't like the fifth game (Chronicles) and so on. At one point, Lara Croft was turned into Modesty Blaise and that's when I stopped being a hardcore fan.

Also, I agree with Jorge's point. It's very hard to have good adaptation of a good book or a video game (with rare exceptions like Mortal Kombat), so I think people who haven't played TR games could be able to enjoy the movie more.
A man who introduced me to Lara back in 1996, more than a friend, my second father....
Dusan "Dule" Petrovic (1965-2018)

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 23 Sep 2017 07:39

Tolle87 wrote:
22 Sep 2017 16:50
I didn't like the first two movies for the same reasons I didn't like the fifth game (Chronicles) and so on. At one point, Lara Croft was turned into Modesty Blaise and that's when I stopped being a hardcore fan.

Also, I agree with Jorge's point. It's very hard to have good adaptation of a good book or a video game (with rare exceptions like Mortal Kombat), so I think people who haven't played TR games could be able to enjoy the movie more.
You make some good points there although I wasn't a hardcore fan when I watched the first film with Jolie. I started with TR II and my brother gave me his DVD of the film. I had never heard of Angelina at that point and had few expectations. Now I have played many official games and a LOT of custom levels but I still maintain that Jolie nailed Lara Croft and I don't want to see someone else playing the role, even as the supposed younger character.

Added to that, I don't like the new Lara (cyber) model. I know she has had to morph over the years and have her in-game features soften but they've moved too far away from her original profile. Point of fact she looks nothing like my idea of Lara and what she should resemble. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :hammer:

scottchu

Post by scottchu » 29 Sep 2017 06:16

Jorge22 wrote:
20 Sep 2017 16:51
My impressions (and, yes, I did watch the clip): it will very probably be just as bad as the previous ones which is just normal for everything you ever adapt from one media to another with very few exceptions in between.

Now, if somebody wishes to say I take pleasure in being negative about things, please be my guest... :)
At lease the starring actress is more like "Lara" that I feel from playing game, IMHO.
I may get older, but my heart for Lara is always young!
msn: scottchu_tw@hotmail.com
yahoo: scottchu.tw
email: scottchu.tw@gmail.com

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 30 Sep 2017 14:51

scottchu wrote:
29 Sep 2017 06:16

At lease the starring actress is more like "Lara" that I feel from playing game, IMHO.
That rather depends on what model you are basing her on, old-skool or next-gen. I think the middle-for-diddle Lara of AoD was acceptable in spite of the terrible glitches and the double-denim disaster :D

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 19 Jan 2018 11:00

Release trailer is out now ... in theatres on March 16.... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KkhD0MnaJU

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 19 Jan 2018 12:28

Takes itself bloody seriously for a piece of action fluff, doesn’t it?

I may watch it eventually (when it becomes available from, err, alternative sources), but if I do, it’ll be strictly because of Vikander, who blew the nominal lead clear out of the water in The Danish Girl, and whom I haven’t seen in anything since, I think.

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 19 Jan 2018 16:39

You should watch her in Ex Machina then - not a bad movie either...