September!

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Jay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: September!

Post by Jay » 30 Sep 2017 12:28

I'm so sorry to hear your news, Hits. Coming so suddenly and unexpectedly, it must have been devastating.

Just don't ever doubt your capabilities - you've demonstrated your talents and great determination many, many times. Please don't give up now.

:hug:
Time may be a great healer
but it's a lousy beautician

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 30 Sep 2017 13:02

Just don't give up if you really know what you want and have what it takes. Resilience is needed (and I know it can be a lot but it makes the entire difference). As I said, keep in mind whatever you do now may affect your entire life and, being young thus not having made the mistakes some of us may have made yet, don't take a no (or any series of nos) as something definitive. Life is only easy on the screen. Well, I know that you're aware of that theoretically but you can't let it bring you (very) down.
Good luck and keep us updated (don't go working at the computer shop unless it's only really temporary and doesn't affect your search for what you're really after). :)

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 30 Sep 2017 14:39

I think everyone contributing here has the same outlook Hits - in that you are more skilled than you seem to believe.

If I may, I would like to add a spiritual slant to this conversation in that my belief (and I don't want to be overtly religious because I am not a typically mainstream religious soul but I am a Spiritualist), there seems to be much truth in the old anecdote that things happen for a reason. Again, you are young and articulate but must start believing in yourself and your abilities. :)

When my late father retired as a Major after 30 years military service, he bought a public house in the rural areas of Wales (UK). I wanted to continue with my own fledgling career and had some digs lined up. I was to share with a school friend of mine but she failed to turn up for the viewing and the area was really undesirable. My brother placed pressure upon me to relocate and help with the family business because my family didn't want me put at risk. I used to think that by doing so I had taken a terrible path and made the wrong decision because I felt my life was over. No opportunities to persue my career and just no outlook period.

It's true to state that my life went into a downward spiral - violent relationships being one thing. It was like I had gone through a time slip and ended up in the dark ages :lol: Over the years I crawled my way back up in terms of reclaiming my confidence and met a caring, decent man who treats me as a lady should expect to be treated - kindly and well cared-for.

But I digress. The point here is that sometimes these things are truly sent to try us because it is all mapped out for us in my humble opinion. These set-backs are what is commonly known as character-building. With each one you'll become that little bit more resiliant and more determined. Imagine how utterly soul-destroying it would be if we all had a silver spoon from birth - never having the experience of appreciation - never having the satisfaction of feeling the wow factor when we claw ourselves back from what we deem as the bottomless pit!

Hold that thought my friend. You are in my thoughts.

Lo :angel:

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 30 Sep 2017 18:13

Thank you for the support, Ian, Jay, Jorge, Lo.

I just felt humbled and crushed, not just by the job setback, but the impression that things are just very demanding, and a lack of opportunity in my field. If I could easily pick an exciting job in my field the next day, I would, and it wouldn't be so hard, but that's not the case.

It is true that in my work experience, my modus operandi was "in case there isn't an interesting job in my field, doesn't match my values, or that I'm qualified for, pick one outside my field that does." I was more worried about negative outcomes in a job than consistently working in my field. So it is true that choices in youth have an impact later on.

In any case, it would take at least two months for a response for a job in my field. And I don't have two months to wait. And there may be a lack of opportunity in my field for at least 3 more years too because it just isn't valued right now.

I just wish there were an employer who can appreciate what I have to offer, and in turn I have to finally be confident at work.

I am feeling better, thank you so much. :hug:

If I can, I want to stay in Georgia, and my best options now are two stores where health insurance is a possibility (now I have to make sure of income), and one surveying company where I can travel around towns surveying buildings and such.

The biggest thing right now is that I have to have faith I can stay in Georgia and do great. I want to continue fishing (didn't catch any fish today, but had a few bites) and keep working towards my first hunt.

If I have to go back to Maryland, it would be more complicated, but I can at least work for a computer store where I was wildly successful (even though the pay was impossible to live on my own).
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 08 Oct 2017 09:41

Consider taking on a more menial job for now - just to pay the bills, Hits.

Expand your horizon. Apply to work in McDonalds for now if need be but don't make out to any potential employer that you are over-qualified and seeing this as a stop gap. Box clever. The important thing for you at this time is to bring in the bacon, so to speak. If earning (even a minimal wage), that will alleviate some of the pressure and enable you to take more time applying for other jobs without ever telling a soul. Be careful whom you share your information with because I once made that very mistake. I had a temporary job and was offered a promotion but someone was jealous and told my boss I was looking elsewhere and I was sacked over some ridiculous non-existent anomaly.

Looking back I should have taken that firm to a tribunal but there was too much going on in my personal life at the time so I just walked away. Never trust too much in colleagues and play your cards close to your chest.

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 08 Oct 2017 14:47

@Lo

I'm completely ok with menial jobs to pay the bills, I'd rather do that than an office job. However, in the US, menial jobs do not pay enough for an apartment.

If I get a surveying job, I can stay in Georgia. If I have to have a menial job, it's very likely I have to go back living with my parents in Maryland.
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"