off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

It was fifty years ago today!

Post by Jorge22 » 01 Jun 2017 15:32

:bday: :bday: :bday:

... and the prize (of being knowledgeable) goes to those who can immediately tell which birthday this is!

Feel free to post pictures if you so wish. :guitarist:
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

mugs
Admin
Admin

Re: It was fifty years ago today!

Post by mugs » 01 Jun 2017 16:31

first man on the moon? nm that was two years later.

I was sitting in my dorm room and someone was blasting Sgt. Pepper's lonely hearts club band while this odd odor was wafting through the air .......welcome to the 60s.
Of doggie candle fame!

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 01 Jun 2017 16:41

You get the prize! :win1:

For those of you who were born too late, music (and maybe the world) would be different without Sgt. Peppers (although there were already some clues in Revolver). 50 years is a grand mark. :toot:
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 01 Jun 2017 16:53

I was one of the few people in this illustrious crowd who is old enough to have "been there" at the time. :beatnik:
Of doggie candle fame!

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 01 Jun 2017 17:17

Yep. I was four and a half years old by then... :baby:

But I did watch the moon landing (which some bright minds claim was shot by Kubrick) in black and white! :star:

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 02 Jun 2017 13:46

We played a ton of Beatles songs in my college band. Sgt. Pepper came out just before graduation, however, so we didn't get to play any of the tracks on that seminal album.

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 03 Jun 2017 18:19

another point of interest....I think record players were "high fidelity", but not yet stereo (or we kids couldn't afford the upgrade - not sure).
Of doggie candle fame!

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 03 Jun 2017 18:58

Hmm... I think Sgt. Peppers was sold both in mono and stereo versions but I'm not really sure. I'm sure that can be easily confirmed by our friend Google though. :)

sonnyd83

Post by sonnyd83 » 03 Jun 2017 19:40

The only memories I have of the '60s are of my dad constantly replaying hits such as 'lifting me higher' back in the late 80s/early 90s when it became fashionable again....and again :hippy:

Jay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Jay » 04 Jun 2017 10:52

I was 17 when Sgt Pepper's came out and I bought it immediately. Yes, I've still got it. Actually, I think it may have worn better than I have. :D
Time may be a great healer
but it's a lousy beautician

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 04 Jun 2017 12:52

mugs wrote:
03 Jun 2017 18:19
another point of interest....I think record players were "high fidelity", but not yet stereo (or we kids couldn't afford the upgrade - not sure).
Stereo had been around for more than 10 years by then. Cost a buck or two more than the mono albums.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 04 Jun 2017 13:33

I bought my Sgt. Peppers maybe back in 72, in Spain. I really think it's in stereo but I can't be bothered to check that out now, lol (it's 4 floors down from where I am).

On a different note, I posted another St. Peppers anniversary homage in another forum (British) and got different reactions, from positive to negative. Some talked about Beatlemania, boys bands, cutesy pop and mediocre or crappy album - sacrilege! :-o
So, the debate went on for a little while...
Truth is that was 1967 and mostly everybody was influenced by the Beatles, not the other way around. I'm actually sure both music and the world would have gone in different directions hadn't it been for Sgt. Pepper's. And that doesn't happen often. Maybe the Beatles weren't the only ones at innovating but they were definitely at the forefront.
I don't usually listen to Sgt. Pepper's as it's been listened to enough. But as I was making an e-liquid I decided to give it a go. And what do you know? It's actually splendid. :2thumbsup:

Marksdad
Mod
Mod

Post by Marksdad » 04 Jun 2017 15:38

As a technical piece of music recording,it's a seminal work.
As a statement of it's era, it's very effective.
As the first 'popular work' that dared to strive to be something worthier,it was a landmark.
As an actual collection of songs, it's fairly unremarkable.For me,the 'White' A!bum and Abbey Road contain far more interesting material.
Sgt Pepper basically consists of a couple of pleasing MacCartney ballads;two pieces of Lennon psychedelia (the latter featuring bit of help from MacCartney);a few standard rock songs and a dreary piece of Harrison meditation.
Arguably,the two strongest songs that resulted from the 6 month album recording session were left out!

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 04 Jun 2017 15:53

Well, I do enjoy both the White Album and Abbey Road. Not so much Let it be (where they left You know my name out!). But by then the Beatles didn't really exist anymore. But they weren't as innovative. Namely The White Album, which I happen to like, sounds more like a song collection. There are interesting ways in Yellow Submarine too, btw. I still think Sgt. Pepper's is, say, as important as The Dark Side of the Moon, probably more because it was such a game changer. And I also think Revolver was the actual turning point.

Marksdad
Mod
Mod

Post by Marksdad » 04 Jun 2017 22:58

Yes,Revolver definitely signposted the way.