Autism Assessment

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

sonnyd83

Autism Assessment

Post by sonnyd83 » 12 May 2017 19:54

I've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, which is a mental condition and is a form of Autism.

The clinical psychologist was impressed by this TRLE stuff when I showed it to her, and was surprised that I wasn't more proud of it all. She says I am quite eliquent but show no emotion in my face or tone of voice whatsoever. :blank:

Anyway, my next TRLE game will be finished quite soon I think (maybe June?). It's related to Tomb Raider 3, which is my favourite one so thought I'd pay tribute to it....

mugs
Admin
Admin

Re: Autism Assessment

Post by mugs » 12 May 2017 20:04

we'll be looking forward to it Dave, and I agree with your psychologist who was so impressed with your gaming skills - you have a right to be proud. These gaming tools (whether building or just playing or even providing the means to enjoy it all) offer outlets to many of us in so many different ways!
Of doggie candle fame!

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 12 May 2017 20:36

Well said Dave and I agree with what Mugs said (with myself also being diagnosed with the condition). Will indeed be looking forward to it. :2thumbsup:

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 13 May 2017 10:33

As a teacher, I've had a few students with Asperger's syndrome myself (I have one now in fact). All I can say is the degree to which it may affect someone will definitely vary. One thing they'll say about Aspergers, for instance, is that people with that condition are unable to understand when you're making a joke. False. And they're usually good students, not necessarily geniuses (as Hollywood would like to portray them) but good. I've also seen other forms of autism too and it's really, really different. At least from my experience, people with Aspergers aren't at all disconnected from reality - as you both are clearly not.
I don't know... I think there may be an issue with this current tendency to place everybody in shelves, classing everyone. It's amazing how many people are diagnosed as bipolar, for instance. Or how many kids are given ritalin for hyperactivity. Frankly, if I had any choice, I'd tell them to slow down.
Quite often I tell jokes and people can't tell whether I'm actually joking or being serious. It's like you have to laugh all the way if you say something silly or people may not understand you're joking, like they're so thick they need that sign. Or maybe they just don't understand sarcasm. Oh well...

Well, I guess that's it. Have a nice weekend! :)
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 13 May 2017 13:50

I agree with you Jorge - way too much labeling going on these days.
Of doggie candle fame!

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 13 May 2017 14:00

I for one am indeed looking forward in what you are making. Funny enough I just downloaded your levels to finally review them, enough time has passed after beta-testing some of them.
As for Asperger, I also agree with Jorge, too much labelling. Most important thing is that you are happy with whom you are and in what you do. Take care Dave :nice:
Oops, I did it again... Image

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 13 May 2017 16:01

Singer, Gary Numan has this condition and he is still making albums so celebrate your art xx :blush:

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 13 May 2017 16:22

I've always liked to play your custom levels Dave.
I hope you don't feel bad because you have asperger syndrom, for me, even if your face is unexpressive, it don't mean you are not empathic.

sonnyd83

Post by sonnyd83 » 13 May 2017 20:17

Thank you for the very nice comments. I think what prompted me to get assessed was literally freezing up with fear when faced with the prospects of speaking to someone verbally in an unfamiliar environment (like in a shop).
Last edited by sonnyd83 on 23 May 2017 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 14 May 2017 03:36

I have autism myself (high-functioning) and can relate to some of what you describe. Maybe there's something about building TR levels that gives us a new way to express ourselves. It really says something that so many of us raiders can sit down and put so much dedication into crafting these adventures, so I agree that it is something we should be proud of.