BtB name

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

BtB name

Post by Dutchy » 22 Mar 2017 06:07

As Back to Basics doesn't really fit this contest any more I came up with a new one where the initials can stay the same... "Build the Best".. No need to change logo's and stuff
Any other ideas?

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: BtB name

Post by Jorge22 » 22 Mar 2017 09:46

I think Back to Basics is fine. It's not the first time something has been that changed but the original name was kept.
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 22 Mar 2017 20:50

I agree it doesn't need a change in name, but I can't resist an acronym game, so here are a few throwaway takes:

Bound to Build
Beyond the Basics
Beat the Boredom
Beware the Builders
Better than Before
Bob the Builder... wait, what were we talking about? :D

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 22 Mar 2017 20:55

:lol: @ Bob the Builder, good one Lucas :2thumbsup:
Oops, I did it again... Image

Marksdad
Mod
Mod

Post by Marksdad » 22 Mar 2017 22:42

I like "Build the Best" - but (and I hate to be pedantic) there needs to be a "to" in the middle there,in order to properly maintain the "BtoB" title.
Lucas' Bound to Build works well in that regard. :)

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 22 Mar 2017 23:23

How about "Bring the Bottle"? I hate to play sober.

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 23 Mar 2017 02:05

:lol:
Of doggie candle fame!

Jesus C.Croft

Post by Jesus C.Croft » 24 Mar 2017 12:45

As far as I'm concerned, there's no going to be a change anytime soon in the Back to Basics name or BtB name (as you prefer to call it). Acronyms are just used to avoid typing many letters for example. But it's not the best idea when you want to promote a special and beloved event like the Back to Basics one, to name an example .

Some of you may argue that it's not back to basics anymore due to hi-poly objects, enhanced gameplay thanks to flipeffects; even the editor is not the basic one, but an improved one. But Back to Basics is a trademark in the level editor world and competitions. It's a trademark well-known by the community. It's a tradition. Traditions like this one aren't going to be changed.

'BtB' can be anything you want, as you have proved with your examples. But 'Back to Basics' is something: something immediatly recognizable and something very important to those who take part in the package creation and in the competition itself :).
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different ".

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 24 Mar 2017 17:05

Amen.

Could not have said it better myself.... :) :)

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 24 Mar 2017 22:28

Ah! That old pet peeve of mine! For years now the label "Back to Basics" has been misleading, in fact is pinned on a thing that is the exact opposite of what it proclaims! And of cause I knew the Big P's answer in advance, since he has made his stance abundantly clear in the past. And who am I to argue, now that he has Jesus on his side?
Anyway:
Jesus C.Croft wrote:
24 Mar 2017 12:45
Traditions like this one aren't going to be changed.
How very true. They won't be changed, they turn into meaningless rituals.
trademark
True again. Too bad that the values of the marketing department creep in on an undertaking that is explicitly not for profit.
'BtB' can be anything you want
And hattrick! Just like "MTV", which now supposedly doesn't stand for anything. Or the "History Channel" (whose regression I saw depicted in a comic strip as "History—Hitler—Hurr").

There you go. No way around it: we just have to accept the fact that nothing's ever gonna change. I mean what's the alternative? "Create a Classic"? How disgustingly presumptuous! How bound to fail! "Do a Double"? "Eke out an Epiphany"? "Forge a Fluke"? "Go for Gross"? "Have a Handful?"

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 25 Mar 2017 08:05

Mulf wrote:
24 Mar 2017 22:28
what's the alternative? "Create a Classic"? "Do a Double"? "Eke out an Epiphany"? "Forge a Fluke"? "Go for Gross"? "Have a Handful?"
Withdraw to Win. A competition only allowing levels which were never built.
To keep the title, the winning non-builder would declare not to build more things for a year.
I would host that and claim the first prize in every category.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 25 Mar 2017 15:52

and then, of course, there's the theory that all people really care about is having another game to play...... :lol:
Of doggie candle fame!

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 25 Mar 2017 21:13

Jesus C.Croft wrote:
24 Mar 2017 12:45
As far as I'm concerned, there's no going to be a change anytime soon in the Back to Basics name or BtB name (as you prefer to call it). Acronyms are just used to avoid typing many letters for example. But it's not the best idea when you want to promote a special and beloved event like the Back to Basics one, to name an example .

Some of you may argue that it's not back to basics anymore due to hi-poly objects, enhanced gameplay thanks to flipeffects; even the editor is not the basic one, but an improved one. But Back to Basics is a trademark in the level editor world and competitions. It's a trademark well-known by the community. It's a tradition. Traditions like this one aren't going to be changed.

'BtB' can be anything you want, as you have proved with your examples. But 'Back to Basics' is something: something immediatly recognizable and something very important to those who take part in the package creation and in the competition itself :).
This... exactly! :angel:

To most builders more likely the BtB mantra is :
Ban the :bullshit:
Begin the Build :builder2:
Break the Box-count :juggle:
Beat the (editor) Bugs :smash:

All chant after me: :book: :book: :book: :book: :book: :book: :book: :book: :book: :whip:

Ban the :bullshit:
Begin the Build :builder2:
Break the Box-count :juggle:
Beat the (editor) Bugs :smash:

Repeat ad nauseam.....
Last edited by EssGee on 26 Mar 2017 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 25 Mar 2017 23:35

It's actually ad nauseam. Assuming you know what that phrase means, how exactly is this supposed to be inspiring?

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 26 Mar 2017 00:29

I can see how it could be a misnomer in terms of methodology, although it is a subjective line between what is "basic" and what is not. For some, building without NGLE scripts might be enough to make it feel like it's back to the basics. For others it might not feel that way until they're using the original editor, with the original WADs and textures. It's just like the official games where some consider, for instance, TRs 1-5 as the basics, while others might only consider TR1 as the basic Tomb Raider experience. It's not something we're going to get a consensus about, and it's always going to be shifting as we move forward.

Methodology aside, I think there is still a strong argument that the content itself is still Back To Basics: every builder in the competition going back to something quintessentially Tomb Raider, and making their own work out of it. Every location (that I'm remembering right now) is strongly inspired by a location from an official game. Even Steampunk could be correlated to something like the technology left behind by a lost civilization, which has been a recurring theme in the official series. Because of that, I personally do not see a need to change the name. I'll just have to see if I still think that way when the proposed Space theme comes around the corner... :lol: