Back to Basics 2016 - Open for registration

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

OverRaider

Re: Back to Basics 2016 - Open for registration

Post by OverRaider » 19 Oct 2016 19:01

I would rather say, to response about the matter of earlier construction creation, that maybe it is better to make some concept design simply by pencil on sheets and then when you get the package you can start building in editor? It is always very important to create those drafts after all, well, if you really want think out the whole gameplay design and detail aspects, in my opinion. But do what is better for you all :wink:
Where is no challenge there is a boredom

Federico

Post by Federico » 19 Oct 2016 19:56

DJ Full wrote: What you should really care about is convert the map to v50 before anything is textured.

And how do you do that? Sorry If is a stupid question, maybe I just don't remember now.

Anyway, I agree with both Tolle and OverRaider: concept, drawing, starting to build some areas (and research! I googled some persian ruins and there are amazing things to use as a reference), that's ok. Just go where the creative flow is.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 19 Oct 2016 20:08

There's MapConverter, normally in the Tools folder of TRNG but it's the same as used in BtB.
Open that, load the project, load your TGA, set input to 64x64, output to 128x128 and apply.
New project is made but TGA gets messed up so you need to replace with generated backup.

This process is quite fragile and you need to make sure the conversion was correct.
As in load the converted project in NGLE, touch nothing but see the auto selection of TGA.
If it's 128x128 the conversion was right, if it's anything else redo.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Federico

Post by Federico » 19 Oct 2016 20:23

DJ Full wrote:There's MapConverter, normally in the Tools folder of TRNG but it's the same as used in BtB.
Open that, load the project, load your TGA, set input to 64x64, output to 128x128 and apply.
New project is made but TGA gets messed up so you need to replace with generated backup.

This process is quite fragile and you need to make sure the conversion was correct.
As in load the converted project in NGLE, touch nothing but see the auto selection of TGA.
If it's 128x128 the conversion was right, if it's anything else redo.
Thank you very much DJ. What if I simply start building my tests with BtB Greece? I'm not using TRNG lately.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 19 Oct 2016 20:49

It should make no difference what placeholder pack you're using.

Thiago

Post by Thiago » 20 Oct 2016 05:28

I'm looking forward to enjoying my first BtB custom level, which will also be my debut with custom levels.
Persia is a very interesting theme and I'm ready for this :D

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 20 Oct 2016 11:03

Crazyboy124 wrote:On the subject of giving our addresses.

This is something i would worry about where michael stores the information. As an IT student i worry about some hacker finding it. So i wanted to ask if they are encrypted/ password protected so and hidden really well?

:bobby:

The address information is stored locally on my desktop PC at home only. I delete the PMs that I receive from you when you register and if you are concerned about hackers you can and should delete the PM from your sent folder as well.

The reason we request that you provide a postal address is indeed twofold:
1) as DJ said, to have these available in case we find some nice prizes and/or merchandise to send to the participants and
2) as a mechanism of ensuring that we minimize "fake registrations". As you expect us to trust you with your best intentions to build and submit a level and not share information about the package, we expect you to trust us/me that I will keep your personal information personal.

So in short - without sharing your real name and postal address, you cannot participate in BtB.

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 20 Oct 2016 14:07

Thiago wrote:I'm looking forward to enjoying my first BtB custom level, which will also be my debut with custom levels.
Persia is a very interesting theme and I'm ready for this :D

Weren't you already building something?I'm pretty sure I remember discussing some technical things with you (spikes setup or something like that) :)
Hallowed Be Thy Game

Thiago

Post by Thiago » 20 Oct 2016 15:09

Tolle87 wrote:Weren't you already building something?I'm pretty sure I remember discussing some technical things with you (spikes setup or something like that) :)
Oh yeah ... I just build some rooms to practicing and learning how to use the functions in the TRNG. Then in fact, I have no custom level released yet. BtB 2016 will be my first one. :)

Mazeh

Post by Mazeh » 20 Oct 2016 15:29

Woooowwwww, another BtB!!!!! :fireworks4: And I hope eRIC, Mr XY, and all previous winners participate!

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 20 Oct 2016 19:27

We all have builder that we are hoping will join the compition (For me I seriously wanna see mugs build a level)
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life."

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 20 Oct 2016 19:55

I think I should make something. I probably sacrificed my 20x20 entry for preparing the pack, so why not? :D

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 20 Oct 2016 20:04

DJ Full wrote:I think I should make something. I probably sacrificed my 20x20 entry for preparing the pack, so why not? :D
Will it be trash? :anxious: :anxious: :anxious:
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life."

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 20 Oct 2016 20:05

DJ Full wrote:I think I should make something. I probably sacrificed my 20x20 entry for preparing the pack, so why not? :D
I have no doubt it'll be unique. :)

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 20 Oct 2016 20:09

Crazyboy124 wrote:Will it be trash? :anxious: :anxious: :anxious:
Eh, no. Trash is a separate project, it will have 2 definitely unBasic sequels: 20MB of Rubbish and 20MB of Litter.