July 2016

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

JesseG

Re: July 2016

Post by JesseG » 06 Jul 2016 02:44

Hitsumei wrote:I would like to stay past October, this is the most suitable place I've been to so far! Otherwise, I have the keys to feel more rooted in a place.
I have been curious about the fact that this is short-term. Were you originally planning on returning to DC, or were you hoping to make your roots here all along? Either way, if you feel at home, I hope a permanent opportunity in Idaho (or some place similar) will open up for you. :)

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 06 Jul 2016 02:57

@JesseG

If I don't have another job lined up by October, then yes, I have to go back to DC. I was able to find six temporary spots in my field in Idaho (and one in the town I currently live in) that I would like to get.

Yes, it is a short-term opportunity, but it's a start. In public service in the natural sciences, most entry-level jobs are temporary (some last 6 months, others a year), it takes a while to get to a permanent position.
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 10 Jul 2016 21:02

Hm. I can either watch the final match or trim the BtB wad. Hard choice.
woof

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Scottie » 10 Jul 2016 21:10

The Wad is more important than a boring Football Game :wink:

I look Baseball. Toronto Blue Jays vs. Detroit Tigers
Resistance is futile

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 11 Jul 2016 00:07

This week I've made progress at work (especially electrofishing).

The kung fu camping weekend was wonderful, I learned so much for three days straight (two camping days, but the last day was in town due to bad weather). Meditating in front of a creek was quite an experience!

There is also a chance I may get a job lined up for October. South Dakota would be a nice place to go to (I've been there before for geological travels). :2thumbsup:
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 11 Jul 2016 00:09

Wow, excellent news, Hits. Great that things have worked out for you! :2thumbsup: Keep going!
No one but ourselves can free our minds...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 11 Jul 2016 00:51

We are the champions! :fireworks3: :fireworks4: :fireworks3:

Tough match but it was well deserved after they managed to "eliminate" Ronaldo (while the referee was still on sort of holidays in the French Riviera) and then tried the same with Nani (or was it Pepe? Not sure anymore). Also, sad to see the French team are such sore losers...

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 11 Jul 2016 00:54

That goal was a sniper shot without a laser sight. Congratulations :)
woof

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 11 Jul 2016 01:13

There is a big hype here, it shows how much the portuguese community is in France and how many people are for Portugal. :)
I'm not that interested in watching football, but I like to know teams, results, and best moments. Portugal managed to won after that 0-0.

One problem is that a lot of frenchs think that it's an unfair victory because of faults (that hand ...), and because Portugal managed to win only one match to go in the Finale. :/

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 11 Jul 2016 01:28

Well, that's a way of looking at it... There were also lots of French foul plays on the French part that the referee chose to ignore. The French team actually played like pirates, leading to Ronaldo's injury, for instance. Also, the French team didn't have to face many really tough adversaries on its way to the finals save for Germany, of course.
What I believe is the French team believed the were going to win easily, especially after defeating Germany. But boy, were they wrong...

The fact that Portugal had a few even scores before it got to the finals means nothing. Hadn't it actually won, it wouldn't have made it to the end - I think that's only logical. Unless somebody changed the rules in the meantime.

Ok, one thing I'll never understand is why our team always starts as if they were still training and only then they start to grow and grow. I mean, yes, they did play pretty badly in their first match against Iceland, I think that's obvious.

But saying Portugal won with even scores is pretty poor...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 11 Jul 2016 01:43

DJ Full wrote:That goal was a sniper shot without a laser sight. Congratulations :)
It was, wasn't it? I'm glad Eder entered. Thanks. :)

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 11 Jul 2016 01:48

I want to reassure, I was glad to see these two teams in the final. ;)
I accept the fact that Portugal has won, as in all games, and it's valid for the 2 teams playing, there are always mistakes that are ignored.
But what will we do ? Sign a petition to replay the match ? That would be silly.

I'm not sure for Ronaldo's injury, but they say it's an actor, except that in one side, contact was not a thing to do, the goal is not to go into the players.
There will always be contestations from teams, I remember that game in 2006 between France and Italy, people say that the referee was for Italy and didn't mention their faults, if there had.

Anyway, congratulations to Portugal ! I hope that people will calm down soon about this result. :)

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 11 Jul 2016 01:53

Yes. Personally, I don't understand why people turn a sport into a battle. It was a tough match, anyway. Any of the teams could have won. I'm just glad that this time it was Portugal. :)

Oh, and Ronaldo is one of the best. He really doesn't need to pretend. Do people buy that story that he was faking it? Please...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 13 Jul 2016 00:17

I've heard there's a petition going on in France to repeat the match on the grounds that Portugal had two coaches (one of them being Ronaldo).

I hope that's a rumour because it's the silliest thing I've heard of in a very long time...

avmaster
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Location: Gilching-Argelsried, small Villiage near Munich Germany

Post by avmaster » 13 Jul 2016 20:58

Congratulations to Portugal for winning the European Championship. Bad that Ronaldo got hurt very early and had to be replaced. But one thing I didn`t like was the behaviour of Ronaldo in the Coaching zone. He should have been booked but the match should not be replayed because of his Coaching. Iceland will be remembered for their victories and their awesome Viking chant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5JGSFcA__Q
Da Master

ImageImage
Next Octoberfest: Every year next one from 19.09.15 - 04.10.15