off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

avmaster
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Location: Gilching-Argelsried, small Villiage near Munich Germany

Re: Spring is Sprung - Hello April

Post by avmaster » 12 Apr 2016 19:43

First half of today we had rain and second half of the day sunshine. Still busy with tax declaration, as we here say our tax System is so complicated that no one really understands it :hammer:
Da Master

ImageImage
Next Octoberfest: Every year next one from 19.09.15 - 04.10.15

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 13 Apr 2016 02:32

Thank you Ryan, Bene and Jay. :)

@Pat

I am so happy I have the opportunity to do natural science work in Idaho... :)

@Jay

Well, Cheshire has some beautiful landscapes too. :wink:

The first duties consisted of handling relocation logistics. I've made considerable progress in obtaining my first rental room, and it'll be my first cross-country trip.

@DJ Full

I want to be passionate about my work, but it is true that working and living in such a gorgeous area helps!
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 13 Apr 2016 15:22

avmaster wrote:First half of today we had rain and second half of the day sunshine. Still busy with tax declaration, as we here say our tax System is so complicated that no one really understands it :hammer:
Hard to understand here, too, Av.
I am all for a "flat tax"....no ins and outs....straight and simple and low :)

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 13 Apr 2016 16:01

When I was a kid, grown ups didn't have to fill in the tax declaration. They had their taxes already taken from their salaries and that was that. I assume taxes were lower and you didn't get to receive anything from the IRS. But whatever I may receive has already been paid tenfold, so... It was simple and it worked.

Btw, back then (before maggie Thatcher, who invented it) there was no VAT either.

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 23 Apr 2016 23:42

I aced my brown belt test on Thursday! I am looking forward to advancing more and more in martial arts, whether I'm in DC or in Idaho. :2thumbsup:

Now I have to ace the final project in my hydrologic modeling class.

I'm getting ready for my move to Idaho, I have a few more details to work out.

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 24 Apr 2016 00:16

Wow, well done, Hits! And good luck with the project and the move btw. :2thumbsup:
No one but ourselves can free our minds...

Mezcal

Post by Mezcal » 24 Apr 2016 01:02

Hitsumei wrote: I'm getting ready for my move to Idaho, I have a few more details to work out.

Long before you were born, I started my freshman year at the University of Idaho, and went up to where you are going on my free weekends...it is absolutely stunning...and certainly a place with a lot of HEART...:sneaky: you are going to love it.
Estragon: “We always find something, eh Didi, to give us the impression we exist?”
Vladimir: “Yes, yes, we're magicians.”

Waiting for Godot: Samuel Beckett

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 24 Apr 2016 02:34

Thank you Ryan! :)

@Mezcal

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed hanging out in that corner of Idaho! :) I have a very good first impression from a distance, with my supervisor, my rental agent, great nature sites, a strong sense of community...I'm really looking forward to moving to a small town that is really a great fit for me! Budget permitting, I'm excited to try hobbies such as fly-fishing during my stay there.

Mezcal

Post by Mezcal » 25 Apr 2016 00:55

If I remember right fly-fishing can be expensive at first, so I think it's a good idea to buy used stuff, or probably rent the gear...and good luck!
Estragon: “We always find something, eh Didi, to give us the impression we exist?”
Vladimir: “Yes, yes, we're magicians.”

Waiting for Godot: Samuel Beckett

avmaster
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Location: Gilching-Argelsried, small Villiage near Munich Germany

Post by avmaster » 25 Apr 2016 19:10

What a weird weather we had today. It changed from snow in the morning to sunshine and snowfall during the hours until lunch and then it changed to rain and strong wind and in the afternoon it went back to snowfall. I am fed up with snow and low temperatures(we still turn on the heating and need it every day), hopefully it does stop until next winter. :veryangry:
Da Master

ImageImage
Next Octoberfest: Every year next one from 19.09.15 - 04.10.15

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 27 Apr 2016 22:36

Jorge22 wrote:When I was a kid, grown ups didn't have to fill in the tax declaration.
Example of taxes in Holland.
My father started a small contracting company. Worked hard till his retirement. He paid taxes on everything he earned, bought and built. He saved some money and paid taxes on that too. He bought some land, payed taxes on that, built some real estate on it as investement and had to pay taxes on that. He got his pension and had to pay taxes over that too. When he passed away we had to pay taxes over the inheritance. We had some left and put that in the bank and every year we have to pay taxes on that.
Actually I'm surprised there's something left....
The Two most important days of your Life; the one where you are born and the one when you find out why (Twain)

Dutchy's (D&G) Walkthroughs

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 28 Apr 2016 18:06

Isn't it like that everywhere?

I would have clicked on a "like" if there were any such option here. :)

EDIT: Hmm, I see too... I wasn't saying people didn't pay taxes when I was a kid. It's just that it was made simpler. And, of course, there was no VAT anywhere since that was one of Mrs. Thatcher's brilliant ideas.

DOUBLEEDIT: Excuse me, Mrs. Thatcher. I don't know where I got that silly idea from. My apologies.

"VAT is a continental invention. French tax authority apparatchik Maurice Lauré fathered the tax in 1954, although a tax that touched on every stage of the production process was first theorised in Germany a century earlier. VAT took its bow in the UK in November 1974, as part of the price the UK paid for joining the Common Market."

VAT is currently 23% for the vast majority of products in Portugal. It seems every European country is obliged to have a VAT no lower than 15%.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 29 Apr 2016 06:18

here in dk its 25%

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 29 Apr 2016 14:49

25%, really? And don't you think it's about "sponging"?