Back to Basics 2016 - Theme discussion

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Zreen

Re: Back to Basics 2016 - Theme discussion

Post by Zreen » 09 Jul 2016 02:08

Luisa wrote:Taking into account the "theme reveal within the first 12 days of a month"
I only said that was the pattern that seemed to happen.
We've had BTB Competitions start late in the year to be released the next year after it was started, though those were near the beginning of this whole BTB thing.
That said, let me restate what I said in the quote you're referring to: the team may or may not follow that first-12-days pattern for BTB 2016.
Writer, Editor, Composer, Tomb Raiderer

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 09 Jul 2016 05:21

Hey folks

Just to clarify:
There is no set schedule for any BtB edition. We try to follow a similar pattern, but the timing is driven by the team's ability to produce the Builder's package, unlike events that are locked in by calendar like Easter and Advent. This year it is taking somewhat longer, and I cannot say when the competition dates will be locked in.
You can't hurry a quality package, just as you can't hurry quality levels. Each of the team members contributes what they can, when they can.
I know some builders like the mid year build because it coincides with summer holidays, but I would say at this stage we are looking at later in the year rather than sooner.
Currently lost in Tibet :cool3:

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 09 Jul 2016 13:29

A little offtopic, but this is something I wanted to suggest long ago:

After BtB competition is fully over, maybe forum thread for it should be made available for everybody (which means for non-BtB participants), at least just for reading.It could be something like "behind the scenes" for people who want closer look at how the building phases&testing went.

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 22 Aug 2016 14:50

Luisa wrote:I mean, it's July 8th. Taking into account the "theme reveal within the first 12 days of a month", if they leave the revelation for August there would be very little time for sign ups and actual building.

Can't the builders run into 2017, Considering it august and "IF" the package was released in september. Builders would have 4 months to build so they would finish in january anyway. But to call it BTB 2016 it should start in 2016 (Thats how events usually work)
If i had a coconut for every time some lunatic said something like that."

scottchu

Post by scottchu » 22 Aug 2016 15:44

BtB series always adopt real-world locations. How about some well-known fantasy land themes, e.g. Wizard of Oz, Universe of Marvels, or even Super Mario worlds, etc. Thus, we can have more imagination and creative pieces and most of all, crossover between Lara with other world super heroes/heroines, in the new BtB levels :D
My heart for Lara is always young!
yahoo: scottchu.tw
gmail: scottchu.tw@gmail.com
msn:scottchu_tw @ hotmail.com (never use now!)

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 04 Sep 2016 15:38

scottchu wrote:BtB series always adopt real-world locations. How about some well-known fantasy land themes, e.g. Wizard of Oz, Universe of Marvels, or even Super Mario worlds, etc. Thus, we can have more imagination and creative pieces and most of all, crossover between Lara with other world super heroes/heroines, in the new BtB levels :D
I think Steam Punk wasnt necessarily Real-World (Correct me if im wrong).

Luisa

Post by Luisa » 13 Sep 2016 19:29

We're heading towards mid-September and no news

do you guys have some perspective of when it is going to be ready?

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 13 Sep 2016 23:32

Sorry but I'm simply not prepared to put a date on it. I know people have got used to BTB happening at this time but that is not possible this year and Michael's brief to the team has always been that it is done when it's done with no specific deadline. This year has been particularly challenging for a number of reasons. Several team members have had priority commitments in the real world outside of trle. In some ways we have been victims of our own creativity with a surplus of wad components. We are juggling things to ensure we have a fully functional package. Our priority is to deliver a really good quality package not one that meets a perceived deadline. What I can say is that we are a lot closer in last week with wad components. But there is still quite a bit of original audio to be recorded. But we have the benefit of four music composers contributing to the audio pack this year. I'm confident everyone will be pleased with the final package and there will be plenty of scope for variety from the builders.

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 14 Sep 2016 07:40

Sounds like The Team is preparing quality package...but please, get rid of the annoying standing animation this time

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 15 Sep 2016 17:26

EssGee wrote:Sorry but I'm simply not prepared to put a date on it. I know people have got used to BTB happening at this time but that is not possible this year and Michael's brief to the team has always been that it is done when it's done with no specific deadline.
Well we understand this. I mean we have seen that deadlines can ruin games. Some would say like Angel Of Darkness (Which was not that bad, but if core had more time they would have made the best game in the series) But back to the point, without the deadline BTB package designers have no rush and therefore it would be better, i mean you can tell if a TRLE project has been rushed. So scott has a good point it shouldn't be rushed.

But some may argue that the level builders have deadlines so its unfair that the package builders don't, and i'm ultimately hoping that this is not reduced if the package is late in the year.

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 17 Sep 2016 23:15

It always seems to go quiet in the BTB talk, I thought the BTB was the event that most builders and players get excited for. LOL :D :D :D

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 17 Sep 2016 23:22

Because there isn't really much to talk about.
We just make stuff, test it, fight errors... boring.
It will get interesting once people get the pack :D
woof

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 18 Sep 2016 01:11

Crazyboy124 wrote: But some may argue that the level builders have deadlines so its unfair that the package builders don't, and i'm ultimately hoping that this is not reduced if the package is late in the year.
Don't worry, the length of the build phase will not be compromised. Don't forget that we had a 'gap' year in 2012 when a similar situation occurred that meant the package build pushed the competition phase into 2013. Not saying that's going to happen, but realistically BtB2016 is going to partially spill over into 2017.

The way it will work from the package team side is that once we have a stable wad and building package, we will then look at the timing with Michael, taking into consideration other events and overall project timing. Then we will announce the theme and registration period (1 month). In that one month, the package team will continue to thoroughly test and fine tune all elements of the pack. So that it is ready for the building phase immediately at the end of the one month registration period.

Just on the wad. People need to understand that it is not just a case of sticking a bunch of objects in a wad. It is no accident that we are able to cram so many objects into a wad. There is a tedious and lengthy process that is involved of trimming down unnecessary duplicated textures, reducing texture size, and texture orientation to minimize overall textinfos, so that we know we have a decent amount of headroom for builders to build and texture their geometry without approaching crash limits. This process is usually not done by a builder building his own wad, because they don't have so many objects. We have to do this in order to fit as many objects as possible to provide lots of variety in the wad. We also have to make sure that all game sounds are working correctly. With a large wad that also challenges limits as we discovered last year in Greece pack.
OverRaider wrote:Sounds like The Team is preparing quality package...but please, get rid of the annoying standing animation this time
Trying to influence the package team.......... :? :lol:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 18 Sep 2016 01:22

That is in fact damn right, we must not include that animation.
You cannot test how annoying it is... until you start taking trailer clips :D
woof

Luisa

Post by Luisa » 18 Sep 2016 17:58

Question: if it turns out the BtB2016 package levels get to be released by the middle of the first semester of 2017, as they probably will, will you postpone the release of the theme package meant for 2017 to 2018?