Back to Basics 2016 - Theme discussion

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Back to Basics 2016 - Theme discussion

Post by EssGee » 07 Jan 2016 02:53

Since the BtB2016 package team are already in discussion about the theme for 2016 Back to Basics - I'll start this thread to facilitate some open discussion to express your ideas about potential themes.

Also if there are any object creators that are not already on the package team and would like to make a significant contribution by joining the package team, now is the time to join up. So please contact me by PM.

Here are themes (in alphabetical order) that have already been suggested:
- Africa
- Japan art / Cinema / Cartoon / Anime
- Mexico
- Middle Ages
- Moon/Space/Science Fiction
- Paris
- Persia
- Pirates
- Stone age
- Western / Native Americans

I'd welcome people's thoughts on any of these themes or others.

EDIT: additional themes suggested in this thread:
Antarctica
Atlantis
Moorish
Nevada/Area 51
Russia
Tibet
Last edited by EssGee on 09 Jan 2016 07:15, edited 5 times in total.
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Re: Back to Basics 2016 - Theme discussion

Post by Mytly » 07 Jan 2016 09:04

Awesome! :jump2:

Some of my suggestions:

1. Tibet: Since BtB 2015 had a thoroughly ‘back to basics’ location like Greece, the site of one of Lara’s first adventures (TR1), perhaps this time we could use one of the locations from Lara’s second adventure, TR2. Venice and China have already been done; so why not Tibet? Snowy mountains, Buddhist temples and monasteries, maybe structures built of ice (‘Ice Palace’), yetis and other mythical monsters … there’s a lot of scope in this location.

2. Arabian/Persian fantasy: Since the team is already discussing Persia, this suggestion might be well-received. How about a fantasy-style theme inspired by the ‘Arabian Nights’ stories and/or the Prince of Persia games? Fairy-tale palaces, treasure-filled caves, flying carpets, genies, giant birds … lots of possibilities here too. Alternatively/in addition, there could be realistic settings based on ancient Persian architecture as well.

3. Space/alien/science fiction: Since this suggestion is already in the list, I assume this one will be well-received as well. It would be interesting to have a theme that’s actually a theme – like ‘Steampunk’ in BtB 2011 – rather than a location. The settings could be anything, like the Moon, a future Earth, an alien world, a space-station, etc.

I also think it might be interesting to combine two themes to provide a bigger variety of settings for the builders. For example (taking my inspiration from one of the most famous TRLE levels, ‘Himalayan Mysteries’) the Tibet and Alien/science fiction themes could be combined. After all, BtB 2015 already had some aspects of this – the Greece theme included an ‘underworld/hell’ sub-theme.

Some of the themes already suggested sound interesting in theory, but I wonder how popular they will be with potential builders. For example, ‘anime’ or ‘pirates’ are pretty restricted themes, and most people may not be familiar with them and/or interested in building a level based on these themes. Others are a bit too generic – what part of Africa would the ‘Africa’ theme include? And then there are others that feel a bit too ‘been there, done that’ – ‘Mexico’ would feel like a retread of BtB 2008 – Peru (yes, I’m aware that the civilizations in question are completely different – I just mean that the architectural style and locations would seem very similar).

Anyway, these are just my two cents. Let’s get an interesting discussion rolling! :)

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 07 Jan 2016 11:23

Thanks Mytly. I'll add additional themes suggested here to my opening post.
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

Mr XY

Post by Mr XY » 07 Jan 2016 12:54

Similar to the Persia theme I would like to add a Moorish theme. I had great fun creating moorish textures for the calendar and would love to build a level in that style. :)

Google Cordoba or Alhambra for inspirations.

TimJ

Post by TimJ » 07 Jan 2016 14:11

I'd love Pirates (South Pacific) or Africa (reminds of Ghana in TRL). In my opinion back to basics should always link to locations Lara has already visited because that's how I understand the contest name. :) Nevada could include Science-Fiction element with the area 51, so I'd also vote for Science-Fiction if it could include Nevada element. And that's a long time we haven't seen a desert location in BtB. :) I think that'd even be my number 1 choice.

Roughly, we had snow recently (2013), luxurious jungles in 2014 and a beautiful classic location in 2015. So going for something more modern and desertic, Nevada seems to be a good change.
Image :balloon:

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 07 Jan 2016 16:08

I would like one set in a cold or snowy environment like Tibet or Antarctica.

chronicles5

Post by chronicles5 » 07 Jan 2016 16:45

I agree with most everything Mytly's said!

Personally I'd be most interested in a Persia setting, but I have to say Tibet and outer space are also very alluring options. I'd also be into Paris.

As for Anime, it would be hard for me personally to picture Lara in such a setting. The Pirates one might be more accessible if it were more of a "South Pacific with Pirate Ships" kind of thing, and then it would relate more to places Lara's actually been. Africa could be interesting if it were narrowed down to a more specific location.

Definitely some nice options here. I look forward to seeing how things progress. :)
Happy to be building again.

totou

Post by totou » 07 Jan 2016 18:11

I'm thinking about russia, prehistory (with the T-Rex come back :? , some mamoths) or india

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 07 Jan 2016 19:57

I really don't know, most themes are rather interesting: Africa, Mexico, Moon/Space/Sci-fi, Paris, Western, Russia, the Moorish theme, Nevada, all these have great potential. Others not so much as they're more repeated imho.

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 07 Jan 2016 20:48

I recently played Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands.I was amazed by those palaces.From all suggestions so far, Persia is my favourite.
A man who introduced me to Lara back in 1996, more than a friend, my second father....
Dusan "Dule" Petrovic (1965-2018)

MMAN

Post by MMAN » 08 Jan 2016 15:17

Since it's the 20th anniversary of the series I would say doing something more classic would be good, except we just had that with Greece, so I guess not, unless it's done in some alternative way (like another BTB classic type thing, maybe one with all the previous themes as an option?). Of the given themes so far I'd say Persia sticks out to me. Maybe Africa as well depending on what exactly that means (because there's a lot in Africa). Tibet would be third for me but we just had a classic theme revival so I'm not so sure on that one...

chronicles5

Post by chronicles5 » 08 Jan 2016 17:51

MMAN wrote:Since it's the 20th anniversary of the series I would say doing something more classic would be good
Yeah, that's a good point! What about Atlantis? Hasn't been done before for BTB (except for the recent winner of course :D but I mean as an overall theme) and there are only a handful of custom levels with that theme. The other areas of TR1 have been covered in one way or another throughout the BTBs. Atlantis could be a really cool theme.
Happy to be building again.

TrueRaider

Post by TrueRaider » 08 Jan 2016 18:18

My personal favourite is American West (but only because I'm really interested in the history behind it). But otherwise I would go for Persia or a Moorish theme. With Persia though, I would worry that it would be columns galore, which after Greece might be a bit much. My least favourite would be Tibet as I think it's been done a lot.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 09 Jan 2016 00:28

Being a 20th anniversary thing, I think it would be time for a Lara at the Movies II. But I may have given up on that (almost).

BigFoot

Post by BigFoot » 09 Jan 2016 01:27

Happy to see there are a science fiction theme :2thumbsup: .
My personnals favorite is this one (science fiction) and Moorish/persia theme. MrXY has also created amazing textures set about this theme :2thumbsup: .