BtB 2015 - the Winners....

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Jay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: BtB 2015 - the Winners....

Post by Jay » 02 Jan 2016 11:32

Congrats to all and huge thanks to every builder involved for the many hours of great entertainment. :worship:
Time may be a great healer
but it's a lousy beautician

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 02 Jan 2016 12:08

Trust DJ to point out what should be obvious but is probably not for everyone... If players really care to look, there is something special and unqiue to be found in every single level of this competition. The applied creativity is quite breathtaking and if you are not just playing levels to get from the beginning to the finish trigger you should enjoy most if not all of the pack.

For me personally, I placed Path to Olympus, Dionysian Rite and Myth comparably higher than the "majority" has placed them, but as always I find it intriguing how generally the ranking that gets established by a sufficient amount of reviews seems to make some general sense.

And for those who still do not have enough - check the level listing within the next few hours for a "Greece bonus treat" :D

manarch2
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by manarch2 » 02 Jan 2016 12:19

Congrats, Mr XY for a deserved win, and also to OverRaider and Chronicles 5! The places 2-6 are all fairly close and are (together with of course the first place and also Myth) my favourite levels. :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: But as DJ Full and Michael said, all levels are a treat and even if I've certainly rated a few far lower than average, this doesn't imply that I didn't enjoy them.

Didn't expect to have to many correct guesses (again), mainly because I got more and more unsure the more levels I played (there are indeed some heavy surprises to the better or worse, and especially I would nearly have sworn that OverRaider was the creator of Khalepa Ta Kala - wasn't so "sure" about many correctly guessed games than about this one... :hammer: Congratulations also to Mytly and Phil, both have quite a high amount of right guesses. :2thumbsup:

For all those who are interested, here are my guesses:
Image In retrospect, I could've had Chronicles5's and Améthyste's levels correctly, but I'm certainly not in the position to complain... :D

Thanks to all involved for a great BtB! :balloon:

BigFoot

Post by BigFoot » 02 Jan 2016 12:46

Congratulations to Mr XY, OverRaider and Chronicles 5 :2thumbsup: .
And also congratulation to the others builders and players competitions :2thumbsup: .

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 02 Jan 2016 13:21

_manarch2 wrote:and especially I would nearly have sworn that OverRaider was the creator of Khalepa Ta Kala - wasn't so "sure" about many correctly guessed games than about this one...
The irony of all this is that I myself couldn`t believe what I created at the end (I mean gameplay difficulty), but that`s a long story... I can assure you that my next level will be more "hellish" that`s for sure (Calm before the Storm will be rather served as a warm up for the upcoming) :wink:

chronicles5

Post by chronicles5 » 02 Jan 2016 13:26

Woohoo! What a great competition and set of levels! :D

Many congratulations to Mr XY, OverRaider, manarch2, Mytly, and Phil! And many thanks to our diligent beta testers, as well as the creators of the BTB 2015 package. We couldn't have done it without you!

I agree with DJ Full - each level in the set is a unique treat and should not be missed. I think I agree with others that Myth is my personal favorite, with its creative and innovative puzzles.

I had a ton of fun building Arcadian Dream with this very diverse and well-executed package. Looking forward to the next BTB, and in the meantime I'll be continuing slowly on my Ireland series. It feels great to be building again! :balloon:

Thanks again to all!
Happy to be building again.

nad

Post by nad » 02 Jan 2016 13:55

Congratulations to Mr XY :win1: OverRaider :win2: and chronicles5 :win3:
Congratulations to all builders for these great levels and to the team behind the scene who have made this BtB possible :2thumbsup:

LoreRaider

Post by LoreRaider » 02 Jan 2016 16:41

Congratulation also from me :)

Guys, for the next BtB, keep more time for builders, just 2 months and half it's very little, it's impossibile create a level from start, in fact some builders need to cut many parts.
Have 7-8 months for decide the type of genre and 2 and half for building, it's not so good :(

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 02 Jan 2016 16:47

LoreRaider wrote:Have 7-8 months for decide the type of genre and 2 and half for building, it's not so good :(
Actually those 7-8 months are not a period of deciding the theme but preparing the package (creating textures, objects, music, merging objects in a wad file, fixing bugs, etc etc) but I do agree that at least one additional month for building would be definitely appreciated...

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Mytly » 02 Jan 2016 18:43

MichaelP wrote:And for those who still do not have enough - check the level listing within the next few hours for a "Greece bonus treat" :D
Ooh, a Bigfoot level - that's indeed a treat. :) I missed his presence in this BtB - I guess he didn't finish this one in time.
_manarch2 wrote:Didn't expect to have to many correct guesses (again), mainly because I got more and more unsure the more levels I played (there are indeed some heavy surprises to the better or worse, and especially I would nearly have sworn that OverRaider was the creator of Khalepa Ta Kala - wasn't so "sure" about many correctly guessed games than about this one... :hammer:
OverRaider's level was one that I was nearly 100% sure of - them moment I saw the screenshots of 'Calm before the Storm' (when I was looking through the BtB builders' other levels), it reminded me so much of 'Stairway to Hell', that I was pretty sure of the builder, and once I played a bit of 'Calm', I was very sure. :D

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 02 Jan 2016 19:46

@LoreRaider,

Last year we have again encountered new limits to consider when building the wad. Apart from max allowed slots, polygons, faces, texture infos and pages, we have found something unspecified on the very edge of the observable wad universe. We are not sure what it is [ominous drums, dun dun dun], but it's possibly a global mesh limit per wad. We tried to bypass it by reusing meshes in other slots, but the test compilations kept crashing anyway. Not to mention before we figured out the reason of crash we suspected everything else, so we did some unnecessary trimming which didn't have to be done... for instance the potplants are hexagonal instead of octagonal, some shatters have misrotations, and the package even had a vase you have never seen (RIP the vase). And when we found out what is really going on it was too late to restore these things. While making objects we also had no texture library to pick from but things were often constructed of various resources so we had to spend three extra weeks on texture unification (and you can see some objects have totally different colors than other ones).

This time the building will be much more organized. We should start with a totally blank placeholder wad, containing just a single-type 1x1-pixel magenta. Then we should make a texture library on that, limiting common materials to use few different tiles, and only pick from these when texturing. As the last thing we should apply unique textures to give special touch to our objects. If we follow this order we will produce much more coherent pack and fit within the limits without wasting time for optimization. It's better to build up from 0 to 5000 infos instead of squeezing from 8000 to 6000.
woof

Talos

Post by Talos » 02 Jan 2016 20:00

OverRaider wrote: I do agree that at least one additional month for building would be definitely appreciated...
Agree! To build the package takes a long time, but I'm also agree with the lengthening of the period of construction of the level.

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 02 Jan 2016 20:13

And allow me tell you all one more thing! Bojrkraider was actually in a package team contributors and he wanted to build a level as well. I really must take my hat off for all that what he has done as he not only builded a level but fixed all the possible bugs of the package reported by all of us and all this while building period! I played his level and I could feel ambition and "wandering" proffesionalism all the time while playing! I am pretty sure if he have had the proper fair time for building, he would "fight" for the top ranking...

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 02 Jan 2016 20:20

This, and don't forget Scott who SACRIFICED his own BtB2014 level to stabilize the buggy package and help the others instead. I'm still waiting for that level :)
woof

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 02 Jan 2016 20:25

And didn`t you DJ Full sacrafice your own level of btb2015 as well? For that you were fixing the stuff too to help us all? I am waiting for yours level too and am expecting as something epic as Marahatanahaduhashitva...heh I still remember the title :D