BtB2015 discussion thread

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Dino

Re: BtB2015 discussion thread

Post by Dino » 09 Oct 2014 19:33

BigFoot wrote:I think if each time we use TREP it's for a easiest installation for each builders. :) Just unzip and build.
For TRNG is more difficult to install :-P and news builders not maybe understand all thinks about the installation of TRNG and then the various triggers or effects we can use.
Well we could still use only old school triggers. But you are right that installation is harder than just unzipping.
Mytly wrote: Huh? All the BtBs since 2010 have used the widescreen patch. You do realize that TREP widescreen works a different way than TRNG? You have to tick the widescreen option in the settings when playing the level. Also, TREP widescreen is actually true widescreen, i.e. it shows more of the screen at the sides. The TRNG widescreen just chops off the top and bottom parts of the screen.

That said, I do agree that it's high time BtB starts using TRNG.
Ohh lol I didn't know that. I have always played BtB levels with fat Lara :lol:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 09 Oct 2014 20:07

BigFoot wrote:For TRNG is more difficult to install :-P and
...and this is why Paolone developed wonderful MK4 Full Installer. Follow instructions and You're done :)
BigFoot wrote:news builders not maybe understand the various triggers or effects we can use.
And this is why the Team always provides a readme.
Mytly wrote:TREP widescreen is actually true widescreen, i.e. it shows more of the screen at the sides. The TRNG widescreen just chops off the top and bottom parts of the screen.
That's why I said moving chase camera a bit away would be necessary to match the TREP effect.
woof

xinfection1080

Post by xinfection1080 » 09 Oct 2014 20:28

DJ Full wrote:
BigFoot wrote:For TRNG is more difficult to install :-P and
...and this is why Paolone developed wonderful MK4 Full Installer. Follow instructions and You're done :)
BigFoot wrote:news builders not maybe understand the various triggers or effects we can use.
And this is why the Team always provides a readme.
Mytly wrote:TREP widescreen is actually true widescreen, i.e. it shows more of the screen at the sides. The TRNG widescreen just chops off the top and bottom parts of the screen.
That's why I said moving chase camera a bit away would be necessary to match the TREP effect.
I think it should just stay with TREP, for it is easier, and you won't have to do that extra stuff; and worry about those script errors, and un-explained crashes with TRNG. Plus, BTB always been using TREP, why change it? If you want to use TRNG, best to start from scratch. :)

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 09 Oct 2014 23:54

xinfection1080 wrote:I think it should just stay with TREP, for 1) it is easier, and 2) you won't have to do that extra stuff; and 3) worry about those script errors, and 4) un-explained crashes with TRNG.
1) Hardly. Levelbuilding goes the same way.
2) You wouldn't be forced to use NG, only allowed to do it. Same as You don't have to use every single texture or every single wad object (though I always try to do so :D ).
3) It's the old scripter which is more likely to fail on new systems. And just like in point 2), You don't have to script a lot. BTW only few commands would be allowed and they are mostly similar to each other.
4) TRNG is the new engine that makes features work, but the editor is exactly the same NGLE so the crash frequency is almost identical :)
Plus, 5) BTB always been using TREP, why change it? 6) If you want to use TRNG, best to start from scratch. :)
5) I told everything 2 posts ago :D
6) Not sure if I get it. Isn't a completely new wad starting from scratch?
woof

uzi master

Post by uzi master » 10 Oct 2014 02:21

Most of the features BTB usually uses TREP for seem to be a bit more "solid," in TREP, like widescreen working the way it's supposed to. Honestly most special features I see people use TRNG for seem to stick out like a sore thumb, granted it's usually conspicuous particle effects and background images but still :p

Then again, BTB already started using new moves, which is one of the other big uses, (and sometimes used conspicuously) for TRNG.

xinfection1080

Post by xinfection1080 » 10 Oct 2014 05:49

uzi master wrote:Most of the features BTB usually uses TREP for seem to be a bit more "solid," in TREP, like widescreen working the way it's supposed to. Honestly most special features I see people use TRNG for seem to stick out like a sore thumb, granted it's usually conspicuous particle effects and background images but still :p

Then again, BTB already started using new moves, which is one of the other big uses, (and sometimes used conspicuously) for TRNG.
Exactly ^^^ :D Not saying using TRNG is bad (of course not!) :D , but some people tend to overstock their levels showing off mostly them special features as uzi master stated. That's why I feel that (with TREP) builders are more... focused down to the actual designing of the level itself, rather than the scripting special features and others. :) But again, don't get me wrong TRNG difinitely is the best. I mean, look at these custom levels now (even in BTB) none them would be no where without TRNG. Doesn't BTB use a version of TRNG anyway? One that's compatible with TREP?

But you know what, I DO most certainly indeed love the way how TRNG's flipeffect is much better than TREP, I mean, I may be doing this wrong, but, in order to use flipeffects using TREP "flipeffect editor", you have to use the original old RoomEdit. Is that correct? ----(Sorry of this is off-topic)

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 10 Oct 2014 08:23

^ People, are You listening at all? TRNG would be mainly used for bug fixing, compatibility and stability, with only several new triggers allowed, if at all. So there is no fear this build will be overwhelmed with special effects like spinning pickups or rotating flames (though I would reserve some FX for occasional presence of Greek divine powers). I don't think we would go for background images, since they don't work for people using irregular screen and we want to avoid exclusions like that.
woof

Nerkan

Post by Nerkan » 10 Oct 2014 08:54

In my opinion it would be better to use TRNG. As other say without the special effects from TRNG. Only with FE and script commend that are allowed from the package builder. So I think the package builder can use objects with more meshes and details.
Greeting
Lara Croft alias Nerkan
(Srry for my Bad English!)
Which Level will I realease the next time? ...... I'll be damned if I know!

xinfection1080

Post by xinfection1080 » 10 Oct 2014 09:32

TREP is tradition, NGLE fixes its bugs. Does that sum it all up? :think:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 10 Oct 2014 10:18

Almost. NGLE is the editor to build both a level later affected with TREP or TRNG patches. So the new engine fixes most of the game bugs, while building the map goes EXACTLY the same way - however the newest version of the editor can speed it up, my top three features being:

- auto-disabling the "Hide Objects" button before wad output
- "substitute textures" button that replaces all textures of one ID with textures of another ID
- "Play" button instead of "Exit and play".

All of these save hours of frustration and unnecessary clicking, while all the limits remain the same, and so does the creativity challenge we know from previous BtBs.
woof

Mr XY

Post by Mr XY » 10 Oct 2014 10:25

You can also use the trng level editor (with the play button) and use trep. That's what I'm doing at the moment because I'm too lazy to learn the scripting.

Not that I would mind switching for the next btb.

I have no idea about trng but how would you make sure that this or that trigger isn't used? Is that even possible without going through the whole level?
Last edited by Mr XY on 10 Oct 2014 11:03, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 10 Oct 2014 10:33

Mr XY wrote:1) how would you make sure that this or that trigger isn't used?
2) Is that even possible without going through the whole level?
1) Well it's rather plainly visible when Lara jumps 200 ft into the air, flipmaps alternate in odd way (so not via rollingball), two audio tracks play in the same moment or a great mist ball halo surrounds a pickup rotating over a pedestal. Any cheater would be detectable at once :D
2) As betatesters, we will anyway :)
woof

Dino

Post by Dino » 10 Oct 2014 12:47

Mr XY wrote:You can also use the trng level editor (with the play button) and use trep. That's what I'm doing at the moment because I'm too lazy to learn the scripting.
Actually BtB has used trep + ngle for years now.
Mr XY wrote:I have no idea about trng but how would you make sure that this or that trigger isn't used? Is that even possible without going through the whole level?
In theory builders would be able to use new triggers and scripts but as DJ Full said it will be noticed. As I showed a few post ago we could mark unwanted triggers like this so builders wound be confused which triggers they are allowed to use.

However one think what would be interesting is really going to Back to Basics like BtB 2009. No TREP, TRNG or NGLE (or maybe we could still use NGLE cause it is more sable but with 64x64 textures). Maybe now isn't time to do so but I really hope that one year we will see BtB like this again. :)
Last edited by Dino on 10 Oct 2014 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 10 Oct 2014 13:08

Dino wrote:Actually BtB has used trep + trng for years now.
TREP + NGLE. The difference should get sticky on the top forum banner. People are still confused :D

I thought about something more TRNG (not NGLE) could allow. It can vanish an object on keyboard condition - e.g. "if You press F12, the grass and flowers disappear". This way people playing on slower computers could switch to a lighter variant and reduce lagging in their case.
woof

Dino

Post by Dino » 10 Oct 2014 13:37

DJ Full wrote:
Dino wrote:Actually BtB has used trep + trng for years now.
TREP + NGLE. The difference should get sticky on the top forum banner. People are still confused :D
I meant NGLE. :D Yes many people (like me) are confused sometimes which is which.