BtB2015 discussion thread

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

xinfection1080

Re: BtB2015 discussion thread

Post by xinfection1080 » 09 Oct 2014 11:21

I've made a couple of objects myself; will some of these work/fit.?

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 09 Oct 2014 11:24

xinfection1080 wrote:I've made a couple of objects myself; will some of these work/fit.?
Hmm.. interesting objects, but you must have missed my last post.
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

xinfection1080

Post by xinfection1080 » 09 Oct 2014 11:41

EssGee wrote:
xinfection1080 wrote:I've made a couple of objects myself; will some of these work/fit.?
Hmm.. interesting objects, but you must have missed my last post.
Just read your last post, :blush: should I delete my previous post and send to you via PM, now?

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 09 Oct 2014 12:35

No, don't worry. We probably posted almost at the same time. I just think if we can pull back a bit from here on, it will be better for the purpose of the discussion.
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

BigFoot

Post by BigFoot » 09 Oct 2014 12:56

Jesus C.Croft wrote:I want to give my two cents about some themes for the next BtB :) :

- Greece / Babylonian / Byzantine / Persian / Knossos (Has anyone created a labyrinth for a Minotaur?).
- Horror.
- A space adventure.
- Indian tribes and legends.
- Atlantis (But not the TR1 or the TRA ones. There are images on the net of a more “traditional” or “royal” approach to it).
- Sunken civilizations.
- Prehistoric discoveries (involving dinosaurs too).
- Nazca.
- Mu. The Lost Continent.
- Egypt.
- Mexico.
- Based on (a level based on a movie, novel or comic-book).
- Gangsters.
- Black and White.
- Big Monsters (like King Kong, Godzilla or Nessie).
- Zeus Vs Hades. Battle of Gods.
- The Underworld (I mean the hell, the hades…)
- King Arthur.
- Fantasy (ala Lord of the Rings)
I like these 3 ideas :2thumbsup:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 09 Oct 2014 14:00

^ No need to delete any content since we don't know what of the already shown stuff will actually land in the package. Scott... You should get my PM asap (in 5 minutes to 5 hours :) ).
woof

Amethyste

Post by Amethyste » 09 Oct 2014 15:06

I like these 3 ideas :2thumbsup:
yes bigfoot

Dino

Post by Dino » 09 Oct 2014 17:56

Would it be time to start using TRNG. I don't mean that builders would be able to use new fancy trigger and scripts. Rules would be same and builder would be only allowed to use triggers and scripts which are in the rules. We could mark unwanted triggers like this.

I have a few reason why TRNG would be better. This year some builders had problem with flickering because some areas were too big. WorldFarView was 21 squares. With TRNG every builder would be able adjust LevelFarView as they want.

We could have two or three horizons in the same wad. Every builder would be able to choose which horizon they want via meshswap. Example if we choose Greece theme there could be normal outdoor horizon and underwater horizon. Or we could have different colored horizons with which builder would be able to use with distance fog.

And of course widescreen. I know that TREP have widescreen patch but I heard that it is ugly and maybe that is the reason why BtB hasn't used it. Sometimes fat Lara hurts my eyes.

I would like to know why BtB is still using TREP + NGLE? :)

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 09 Oct 2014 18:28

the name says it all: Back to Basics!
Of doggie candle fame!

Greywolf

Post by Greywolf » 09 Oct 2014 18:31

A_De wrote:@Greywolf: I love the fantasy theme :) Your objects are nice, especially the big door.
As about that white unicorn, not sure if Uranos's large textures would fit BtB. However there is an optimized version of white horse in Northern Legends wad, guess it is a good base for Pegasus. If I remember it correctly the winged horse has something to do with Greek mythology :)
I'm afraid I used large textures in all that objects (except the gnome): I made them for some levels of mine (except the big dragon door: I haven't still built a level with this object) and I used TRNG... :( Now I'm very busy and I'm plenty of work: I won't be able to make anything now.
Modifying the Northern Legend's horse and transform it in Pegasus is a good idea, but now I can't do that... Well next btb theme is unknow yet, and it could be neither a greek one nor a fantasy one. :wink:
I love deadlines, I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by. (Douglas Adams)

Dino

Post by Dino » 09 Oct 2014 18:32

mugs wrote:the name says it all: Back to Basics!
Why BtB is using TREP and NGLE then? :-P As I said builders would be only allowed to use triggers and scripts which are in the rules. I don't think that TRNG is any more or less back to basics than TREP. TRNG would just fix some problems.
Last edited by Dino on 09 Oct 2014 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

AoDfan

Post by AoDfan » 09 Oct 2014 18:44

I agree with Dino. It would give the builders more freedom. There would however need to be a few strict rules so the builders don't have too much freedom

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 09 Oct 2014 19:03

mugs wrote:the name says it all: Back to Basics!
What didn't prevent the previous package teams from including conveyor belts and bouncepads :) . But while inclusion of new triggers may still seem inappropriate to some, I think Dino is plainly right using TRNG could fix some errors Core Design should have taken care about - like buggy underwater collisions, flare color or unreal Look transparency. (NG widescreen trims the image though, so in case of using this one, the chase camera should be moved a bit further from Lara.)
I know that TREP have widescreen patch but I heard that it is ugly
I don't know how this can be ugly. Another reason for using it would be... that we later repatch all games for widescreen support anyway :D :D :D
woof

BigFoot

Post by BigFoot » 09 Oct 2014 19:07

I think if each time we use TREP it's for a easiest installation for each builders. :) Just unzip and build.
For TRNG is more difficult to install :-P and news builders not maybe understand all thinks about the installation of TRNG and then the various triggers or effects we can use.

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 09 Oct 2014 19:14

Dino wrote:And of course widescreen. I know that TREP have widescreen patch but I heard that it is ugly and maybe that is the reason why BtB hasn't used it. Sometimes fat Lara hurts my eyes.
Huh? All the BtBs since 2010 have used the widescreen patch. You do realize that TREP widescreen works a different way than TRNG? You have to tick the widescreen option in the settings when playing the level. Also, TREP widescreen is actually true widescreen, i.e. it shows more of the screen at the sides. The TRNG widescreen just chops off the top and bottom parts of the screen.

That said, I do agree that it's high time BtB starts using TRNG.