BtB2015 discussion thread

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

EssGee
Mod
Mod

BtB2015 discussion thread

Post by EssGee » 05 Oct 2014 03:31

Here is a new thread to host discussion about the next Back to Basics competition.

Theme:
Feel free to put forward your thoughts about the next theme here. There is no limit to what you can suggest, but at least try and take into consideration about how doable a theme is in the TRLE.

Building pack team:
For the next BtB I will need the assistance of a number of experienced and prolific object makers. Please put your expression of interest here if you are genuinely in a position to make a substantial contribution to the pack or PM me. I will be brutally honest here - it takes a lot of commitment to deliver a good batch of objects. Contributing just one or two objects is nice but is not what I'm really looking for, to be working on the team. You'll need to be able to work within the strict texture constraints of building a large BtB wad and making objects where simplicity of mesh design is favoured. You also need to be able to build objects on demand for specific tasks within the theme concept.

Next competition dates:
There is no planned dates at this time. It will be very much driven by reaching a decision on a theme in the next few weeks, and what commitments I get from other object makers to produce the pack.
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

Dwight

Re: BtB2015 discussion thread

Post by Dwight » 05 Oct 2014 04:26

Sounds like fun. :D

How about.... : BTB2015 Thor's Empire (A Greek Setting) I thought of all other environment settings where used: Venice/Peru/London etc. One not used, was Greece.

BTW: I WANT IN, this time!
If a condition says it is true, and if a condition claims it is true; the condition IS true." ------ Dwight Clemons

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 05 Oct 2014 05:30

First of all, let's not forget it'll be the tenth edition of BtB. That alone should grant a special thing IMO. I'm not suggesting a return to the 'true' BtB sense as was the '09 edition, though.

I don't think there are many unexplored themes but I liked the suggestions that popped up in the other thread... In my head, Rome sounds too much like Venice, but when I compare the levels listed under each category I can see why they're different settings. We haven't had Atlantis or Shipwreck settings, think those could also offer a different experience to what we've had so far (the latter more so than the former, but if we go with ship/underwater levels please make sure the levels don't last up to 3 hours each lol). :)
Raider Daze (pt-br) | Do more of what makes you happy!

Dwight

Post by Dwight » 05 Oct 2014 07:46

And what's the fun in THAT sort of raid? A shipwreck... :roll: Come on! Greek would be a best fit. It has to be traditional, yet different, like this one. But a shipwreck? Come on, where's that going to lead?

And Atlantis...... (Did get me started) Haven't we seen enough of that, anyways? Practically, loads of levels had THAT theme/setting included with it! ex: Coyote Creek 2, or MoA.
If a condition says it is true, and if a condition claims it is true; the condition IS true." ------ Dwight Clemons

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 05 Oct 2014 08:46

Excuse me ! Dwight.
You really have no idea how to act in a forum, do you?
There are going to be lots of suggestions coming, and you are not going to ruin this thread by dumping down on other people's suggestions. Treeble has been a huge part of this community since its inception. That's about 14 years. Everyone around here respects his opinion. I don't think there is anyone who knows more about TR facts than him.
You have been here a couple of weeks and you are just back from a one week ban.
I am warning you right now - do not troll this thread again like you just did. :bobby:
You have expressed what your suggestion is. Now just let others do the same. :angel:

A_De

Post by A_De » 05 Oct 2014 09:40

I'd like to suggest Ireland or Scotland, but they are similar to Nothern Legends.
How is about space theme? Black sky, long passages with shining metal, dark corners, disturbing noises? There was a thread on TRF dedicated to space package, I even made a few traps and creatures for it.
Also a Halloween theme would be good. LNG has released a nice tga set for it.
Easten fairy tales with magic lamps, wraiths as a genies and flying carpets (in death-slide slot)?

Soul
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Soul » 05 Oct 2014 10:25

Hmmm....My all-time-favourite setting was chosen in this round and it still didn't make me start the editor and build (or play) something, so I'd rather not suggest anything :(

Atlantis sounds interesting though 8)

Dwight

Post by Dwight » 05 Oct 2014 10:46

EssGee wrote:Excuse me ! Dwight.
You really have no idea how to act in a forum, do you?
There are going to be lots of suggestions coming, and you are not going to ruin this thread by dumping down on other people's suggestions. Treeble has been a huge part of this community since its inception. That's about 14 years. Everyone around here respects his opinion. I don't think there is anyone who knows more about TR facts than him.
You have been here a couple of weeks and you are just back from a one week ban.
I am warning you right now - do not troll this thread again like you just did. :bobby:
You have expressed what your suggestion is. Now just let others do the same. :angel:
How about taking this to PM? :blank:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 05 Oct 2014 10:51

Dwight wrote:And what's the fun in THAT sort of raid? A shipwreck... :roll: Come on!
Play Wreck of the Blue Storm and know :)
Dwight wrote:Greek would be a best fit
This is true we haven't got much of this sort (and it's very close to Rome ;) ). And there's no need to bold Your suggestion, it sounds like trying to force it.
Dwight wrote:Atlantis...... (Did get me started) Haven't we seen enough of that, anyways?
Here I will agree with You. Tinnos and Atlantis are my two most disliked ever, except from few... exceptions :D
EssGee wrote:You have been here a couple of weeks and you are just back from a one week ban.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There was recently a poll in the blue forum that was supposed to start an object package, but the project apparently got cancelled. There were some nice ideas, like Alice in Wonderland, Heroes of Might and Magic or so. However this is a completely new thing so it could be more suitable for a contest like Complex Simplicity.

Many resources from Advent Calendars are also underused or not noticed at all. Nadine's Palace TGA for example. Mediterranean set of the same author. Soul's Tinnos set was used once only (but I won't suggest this category for the reason specified above). And of course we have some texture sets released by AgentXP on the blue forums, NG upgrade of Floating Islands topping them all, and never used yet.

To summarize: in terms of Old, Classic Categories Suitable For BtB, my choice is Rome, Byzantine or any other South European civilization predating the Medieval period.
Last edited by DJ Full on 05 Oct 2014 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
woof

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 05 Oct 2014 10:52

Dwight, How about you take my advice and we let the discussion about btb move forward.

Dwight

Post by Dwight » 05 Oct 2014 10:54

EssGee wrote:Dwight, How about you take my advice and we let the discussion about btb move forward.
K! , I'm gone. :blank:

BigFoot

Post by BigFoot » 05 Oct 2014 11:00

Atlantis is an interresting theme with maybe a mix of sunken ruins, sand, beach, rocks, lava for a sunken empire (with broken objects, underwater plants ...).
And other stuff for people who not want to build sunken ruins (but of course each objetcs can be use for the destroy ruins or not). :)

Mr XY

Post by Mr XY » 05 Oct 2014 11:55

When you guys talk about Atlantis, do you refer to the one in tr1/tra or the supposed to be real one, which has its roots in greek mythology.

Definitely would like to see something greek next year.

I would also love to see an arabic/moorish/persian theme. There is a great ressource of prince of persia textures and it would be something new. I don't remember any level in that style.

Unexplored Ruins in the sand, a fortress, colourful gardens, underground caves or a simple city... Just letting my Imagination play but I think it offers a lot. :)
Last edited by Mr XY on 05 Oct 2014 12:44, edited 1 time in total.

Amethyste

Post by Amethyste » 05 Oct 2014 12:15

I am able to build objects.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 05 Oct 2014 12:32

Mr XY wrote:When you guys talk about Atlantis, do you refer to the one in tr1/tra or the supposed to be real on, which has it's roots in greek mythology.
I think so many cultures adapted the Atlantis theme that You can place it anywhere. It even has a depiction in Tolkien's tales (sunken island of Numenor).
I would also love to see an arabic/moorish/persian theme. I don't remember any level in that style.
The Moorish sounds particularly interesting. I had it in mind myself, but I thought nobody else will think about it. Due to their invasion of Southern Spain, churches built there in that period involve Arabic ornaments, an architectonic mixdown seen nowhere else in the world, also never pictured in TR. And keep in mind most of those temples are now abandoned (!!) and ruined (!!!).
woof