Finally October!

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Marksdad
Mod
Mod

Re: Finally October!

Post by Marksdad » 08 Oct 2014 14:14

@OverRaider - look out for double rainbows. They're really lovely!
Is that north London?
That part of UK looks exactly like most of Poland. Obviously the majority of builders in possession of concrete uses the same pattern
It's because most of our builders are polish! :lol:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 08 Oct 2014 15:11

Indeed, I forgot. You see - since all talented ones are into 3D building, none is left to beautify the real world.
woof

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 08 Oct 2014 15:52

@Marksdad...no, but Your guess is very close...it`s eastern London, a town of Grays :)
actually I`ve seen double rainbows a few times but they were rather too weak while this one was very pretty full and strong

RelicHunter

Post by RelicHunter » 09 Oct 2014 04:21

October here in the states (Illinois anyway) has actually been rather pleasant! It started out quite rainy, but the following days have been rather nice. Usually clear, blue skies and within 10-15 degrees Celsius. :sunny:

Though as a university student, October means that the semester starts to rapidly become more challenging. I am studying computer science, and I have two programs due Friday night. I've been working on my program for Unix since Sunday, and only with the help of the teacher's assistant am I close to getting it done now. Our professor, who is a graduate student, is sadly not very good at teaching, and computer science classes without a good teacher are extremely frustrating. :(

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 09 Oct 2014 10:24

Well, a lot of university professors aren't very good at actually teaching, it's well known. And the way they give you their marks isn't necessarily the best or faiirest either. There are exceptions, of course.

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 09 Oct 2014 11:38

Jorge22 wrote:Well, a lot of university professors aren't very good at actually teaching, it's well known. And the way they give you their marks isn't necessarily the best or faiirest either. There are exceptions, of course.
Jorge there is a rather funny graphic, that I really like, and is surprisingly accurate in some cases.
How people in science see each other
I happen to be technician so I'm bottom right hand image. Very accurate (although totally biased :lol: )
Currently lost in Tibet :cool3:

larabiker301

Post by larabiker301 » 09 Oct 2014 12:51

RelicHunter wrote:Though as a university student, October means that the semester starts to rapidly become more challenging. I am studying computer science, and I have two programs due Friday night. I've been working on my program for Unix since Sunday, and only with the help of the teacher's assistant am I close to getting it done now. Our professor, who is a graduate student, is sadly not very good at teaching, and computer science classes without a good teacher are extremely frustrating.
Oh, I definitely know what you mean. I'm taking an Advanced Computer Science class and my professor is pretty old and not old as in bad (because he's a good guy) but he forgets a lot of things and teaching isn't exactly easy for him. I usually end up confused at the end of a session. He'll mostly just give us code instead of teaching all the concepts behind code which will really won't get us anywhere.
The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
-Paul Valery

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 09 Oct 2014 13:26

@Larabiker..then You should attend Jorge`s school, he is a good teacher :D

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 09 Oct 2014 13:32

Essgee, that was pretty funny!

I'm a good teacher? Hmm, I don't know... I'm probably a better writer or musician. Still, it's my job and apart from the useless paperwork, reunions and activities plus internal pressures and politics, I'm used to it. Some of my ex-students will tell you I was great. Some will tell you I was an idiot. You can't please everyone. But I know I can explain things pretty well if people are actually listening (which they are, at times, depending on the classes etc., it's a bit like a Russian roulette). :)

RelicHunter

Post by RelicHunter » 09 Oct 2014 20:26

larabiker301 wrote: Oh, I definitely know what you mean. I'm taking an Advanced Computer Science class and my professor is pretty old and not old as in bad (because he's a good guy) but he forgets a lot of things and teaching isn't exactly easy for him. I usually end up confused at the end of a session. He'll mostly just give us code instead of teaching all the concepts behind code which will really won't get us anywhere.
Yeah, Computer Science is one of those courses that your success hinges upon how well the teacher presents the material to you. My Unix teacher seems to have no plan whatsoever prepared for his lectures, and he merely shows us powerpoint slides that he reads off of in a quiet voice, followed by some code examples in the command console that he whips up without any structure to them. He flies through a lot of the material without doing much explaining to the point it's nearly impossible to take coherent notes.

My Data Structures and Algorithms teacher is much better and makes for a more enjoyable class: He comes in with a plan, prepared code that he takes time to explain and run us through, and definitely knows how to present his stuff. My best computer science classes were with teachers like this so I hope this guy gets to keep his job.

All I can say is that ratemyprofessors.com is going to be my best friend in selecting classes next semester. :idea:

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 09 Oct 2014 20:47

Sometimes I have some teachers in lectures that don't really know how to manage their lessons properly, I have one that describe something before saying what subject it is. Some teachers make their lessons living and is easy to understand, but the students don't not stop talking during this time; other teachers require silence while they talk, the lessons is semi-living, we don't only scratch what was said. :)

Btw : France/Portugal this weekend, nope ? :D

I don't remember if France had recently made a match against Portugal. :thinking:

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 09 Oct 2014 20:51

France - Portugal this weekend? Thanks for the tip because I was totally out of it. :)

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 09 Oct 2014 21:34

I learned this on the radio this morning. I can't wait to know the outcome of this match. :)

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 09 Oct 2014 23:51

Yeah, I know now too. It's a friendly match though.

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 10 Oct 2014 18:03

It makes me laugh people who say : "Allez la France !!" for a friendly match. Especially since I know there is a lot of Portuguese communities in France. XD