Back To Basics 2014 - Khmer Empire - Registration Open

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Phil
Mod
Mod

Re: Back To Basics 2014 - Khmer Empire - Registration Open

Post by Phil » 18 Feb 2014 16:52

Judging from the builders who have signed up to date, we might be able to expect that up to half of them will actually release a level for the competition. If so, we should have a bumper crop this time.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 18 Feb 2014 17:13

Then 46 / 2 reminds me much of human meiosis.

I have a question of organization matter: when the ultra-secret BtB workshop subforum is open, will it be technically possible to make an internal poll inside my WIP thread?
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

TOMBR6

Post by TOMBR6 » 18 Feb 2014 17:27

Do not hasten to finish results, - till the end of registration - even the whole 10 days!
It is a pity that yesterday's birthday girl persistently ignores competition this year (however as well as last year!) :(
do you love tomb raider, how I love it?!

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 18 Feb 2014 18:17

It ain't ignoring, it's a well-deserved break after making several awesome packages already :)

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 18 Feb 2014 20:55

DJ Full wrote: I have a question of organization matter: when the ultra-secret BtB workshop subforum is open, will it be technically possible to make an internal poll inside my WIP thread?
Why? :inquisitive:
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 18 Feb 2014 21:15

Because I made 31 versions of the same location and I can't decide which one is the best - so I made a top-view image of each variant and want You to solve my problem :D Of course I'll understand if making the poll is impossible, and in such case I'll just bother several competition builders about their opinion via PM :D :D :D

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 18 Feb 2014 21:54

polls don't seem to function properly anymore. we've had a lot of problems with them in the past. if Scott's rules do not prohibit the use of polls I think we can set it up for you to try it out. It will be Scott's call.
Of doggie candle fame!

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 18 Feb 2014 21:56

EssGee wrote:Oh my gosh... the whole community is going completely Khmad. :mad:
Who Khme? (Yep you're Khmessing around with our heads). Next time better be more careful with choosing a Theme name :lol:

But at least we Khmissed out on the endless rant about a theme and whatnot, this is Khmuch Khmore សប្បាយ (fun) :lol:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 18 Feb 2014 22:05

Dutchy wrote:Image
This Khmer part doesn't even appear in my browser. I wonder if the others can see it properly :?

Thank You for considering my poll :D You see - HESITATION is the factor always causing the most delay to all projects I attempt, so it will be good to stop it before it starts for good (or for bad :))

Zreen

Post by Zreen » 18 Feb 2014 22:19

DJ Full wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Image
This Khmer part doesn't even appear in my browser. I wonder if the others can see it properly :?

Thank You for considering my poll :D You see - HESITATION is the factor always causing the most delay to all projects I attempt, so it will be good to stop it before it starts for good (or for bad :))
It (the original Thai script, not the code) shows up on Khmy desktop, but not my phone :-P

Khmaybe if the poll plugin is Khmessing up we could always have a Khmod or AdKhmin edit a list of peoples' decisions, although that Khmight Khmake things Khmore difficult.

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 18 Feb 2014 22:22

DJ Full wrote:Because I made 31 versions of the same location and I can't decide which one is the best - so I made a top-view image of each variant and want You to solve my problem :D Of course I'll understand if making the poll is impossible, and in such case I'll just bother several competition builders about their opinion via PM :D :D :D
In that case I'd say no regardless of whether its technically possible or not. This is a building competition. The purpose of the builder's forum is to assist them with technical advice and share your works in progress. It's up to you to decide which choice you make to go with not the other builders. I'd suggest to refine your choices down to one or two of your favourites and post them as works in progress in the builder's forum. If other builders wish to give feedback on the posted images then well and good. Let's just get down to the business of building and finishing levels without the distraction of polls etc. Sorry but I don't have a very high opinion of polls at the best of times.
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 18 Feb 2014 23:31

EssGee wrote:This is a building competition. It's up to you to decide which choice you make to go with not the other builders. Let's just get down to the business of building and finishing levels without the distraction of polls.
1. About distraction: this is actually why I suggested the poll - because I thought it might be less distracting than separate posts. But as long as I never managed polls, I can indeed be wrong with that.

2. About others making the choice for me: it's totally opposite to what You thought. I don't intend to use people to solve problems for me, but to remove a problem that shouldn't exist at all:
- in fact, NONE of these versions required any skills to build, so I can pick ANY
- but even though wondering about the non-existing "correct" shape is plainly ridiculous, my crazy brain still forces me to hesitate, regardless from my will.
Then I'm not asking people to improve the game for me, but to STOP me from improving what I know I shouldn't.

3. As for using the subforum for anything except technical advice, I see nothing wrong in that: why shouldn't I give my binned ideas to someone whose game I see them fit in? We're not just a group of people competing with each other, we should do everything to make the whole batch as good as possible. Last year, there was a builder who took my architecture idea and later it felt great when I could see it in his game :D

OK then. Just wanted to clarify. Using people is a bleeh for me and I didn't intend it. I'll move to other locations, then I'll see if the location variant still doesn't matter for me. If it does, I'll choose my favourites. If no, and I find myself still wondering, I'll roll a dice :D Or maybe I'll just pick what SEEMS to be right (but isn't :-P ). Still, when I open the WIP thread, I'll post a picture including all considered shapes - because if 30 of them are going to be wasted, people at least have to see them :) (well that's another compulsion - inability to let go of anything I constructed :blush: )

larabiker301

Post by larabiker301 » 19 Feb 2014 01:23

1. About distraction: this is actually why I suggested the poll - because I thought it might be less distracting than separate posts. But as long as I never managed polls, I can indeed be wrong with that.

2. About others making the choice for me: it's totally opposite to what You thought. I don't intend to use people to solve problems for me, but to remove a problem that shouldn't exist at all:
- in fact, NONE of these versions required any skills to build, so I can pick ANY
- but even though wondering about the non-existing "correct" shape is plainly ridiculous, my crazy brain still forces me to hesitate, regardless from my will.
Then I'm not asking people to improve the game for me, but to STOP me from improving what I know I shouldn't.

3. As for using the subforum for anything except technical advice, I see nothing wrong in that: why shouldn't I give my binned ideas to someone whose game I see them fit in? We're not just a group of people competing with each other, we should do everything to make the whole batch as good as possible. Last year, there was a builder who took my architecture idea and later it felt great when I could see it in his game :D

OK then. Just wanted to clarify. Using people is a bleeh for me and I didn't intend it. I'll move to other locations, then I'll see if the location variant still doesn't matter for me. If it does, I'll choose my favourites. If no, and I find myself still wondering, I'll roll a dice :D Or maybe I'll just pick what SEEMS to be right (but isn't :-P ). Still, when I open the WIP thread, I'll post a picture including all considered shapes - because if 30 of them are going to be wasted, people at least have to see them :) (well that's another compulsion - inability to let go of anything I constructed :blush: )
Deep :|
The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
-Paul Valery

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 19 Feb 2014 12:59

Everything is nice than that Lara Croft goes around, I would rather have prince charming. You ugly tossing artefact. :lol:
"You learn something every day."

Zreen

Post by Zreen » 20 Feb 2014 23:23

The anticipation... :evilgrin: