off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Back To Basics 2014 - Khmer Empire - Registration Open

Post by EssGee » 01 Feb 2014 00:13

Back to Basics 2014 - Khmer Empire - Builder Registration

The Builder's registration for Back to Basics 2014 : Khmer Empire is now open.

Yes that's right - the theme for Back to Basics 2014 is indeed Khmer Empire. This theme brings Lara back to her roots - revisit the glorious temple complex of Angkor Wat or get inspired by the mind-blowingly detailed Thailand levels from TR:Underworld or the Cambodian section of the first Tomb Raider Movie. Exotic landscapes full of lush jungles, riverbanks and beaches are waiting to be created and explored as well as ancient tombs and temples to be discovered.

The Back To Basics 2014 : Khmer Empire builder's package has been under construction by the BtoB 2014 Package Team since July 2013 and is now in final testing phase, and should be ready to be sent to registered builders at the completion of the registration period. I hope for most of you this is an exciting theme and there will be many builders keen to build a level for the competition.
----------------------------------------
Planned Schedule: (please note these dates may be revised depending on the number of submitted levels for the competition)

Feb 1 - Feb 28, 2014: Builder's Registration period
Mar 3 - Jun 30, 2014: Level building phase (approximately 4 months; beta testing phase is included in this period!)
Jul 1 - Aug 1, 2014: Will be left clear for packaging everything up, final fixes and re-tests and final release preparations
Aug 3, 2014: Levels will be released anonymously on trle.net
Aug 3 - Oct 3, 2014: Competition phase
Oct 5, 2014: Competition winners will be announced

----------------------------------------
To register for the building competition, you must be a registered member of the trle Community Forum.
Back to Basics Registration is by a PM sent by you to MichaelP.
The PM should have the Title: BtB-Khmer Empire Registration
The PM text should provide the following information:
Your nick, first and last name
A valid email address
A valid postal address
and the text:
"Please accept this PM as my registration application for the BtB 2014-Khmer Empire builder's competition. I will not release the BtB package or any component of it or information about it to anyone prior to October 2014, when it will anyway become publicly available. This is also applicable in case I choose to drop out of the competition."

Your registration application will be validated by return PM from MichaelP.

Please note that you will not be given immediate access to the Back To Basics 2014: Khmer Empire subforum and the package. The subforum will be opened up for the participating builders at the end of the registration period. You will receive a PM (edit: will be by email notification) from a trle Community administrator advising you when you have access to the private builder's subforum, and a relevant download link to the builder's package.

The builder's package will contain everything that you require to build your level. You will simply unzip the package and you are ready to start building.
In addition to the building components, the building package will contain a full wad list with credits and instructions for special setups, an image-based ready reference for all wad items, and a full custom audio list with credits.

For those of you who are new to Back to Basics:
The "Back to Basics" challenge is to build a single level of about one hour net gameplay with every builder using only the supplied wad and texture set.

Back to Basics is targeted at both experienced and unexperienced/new builders. The private builder's sub-forum provides a great environment for builder's to help other builders, and to receive personalized technical advice with building your level.

In Back to Basics 2014 we will be using an old version of the NGLE (which is much more stable than the original winroomedit but it does not support any of the new TRNG features) in combination with an exe that is patched with TREP so that the exe can handle large levels and detailed objects and provide a small set of pre-defined flipeffects.

Audio tracks, objects, textures and so on will be part of the BtB package that the builders download. The only tools you may use in this competition to build your level is the supplied version of the NGLE, the converter and tomb4 that are included in the Builder's package. The only exception to this is that builders running 64-bit Win7 or Win-8 may need to use DOS-Box to compile their scripts.

Please note: TRNG is not used at all. That means that the NG Center is not used and there are no special flipeffects or scripting involved.
You can customize your script using the traditional method of TRLE scripts. (script.txt and English.txt) e.g. you can customize the names of your inventory items; create customised sky colours.

Final submission of your level for the builder's competition will be by submitting your final level editor PRJ (!) and TOM file and your script.txt and English.txt files. The project files for each level will be then compiled by MichaelP for final packaging prior to release, thus ensuring that the levels are compiled only using the supplied wad, textures and audios.

Competition:
There are two components to the Back to Basics competition.
Builder's Competition - Levels which receive the highest average review ratings on trle.net for the competition period. Note that for administrative reasons, Levelbase and AspideTR reviews are NOT included in the evaluation)
Player's competition - Guess the builder competition. Players can submit their guesses as to which builder built which level.

For the competition, the builder's levels will be released anonymously by the author "BtB2014". This way reviewers can send in their reviews without favouring any level builder. The player's competition will be approximately 2 months duration. The identity of which builder built which level will be revealed at the completion of the competition period. Until that time, no-one is allowed to give away any information about who built which level. The builders with the highest ratings win the builder's competition.
Players can submit guesses about who built which level and the players who have guessed most levels and builders correctly will win the player's competition.

Beta-testing and confidentiality:
Builders must get their level beta-tested before release. Don't leave this until the last minute. This should be done in the final month of building to ensure that you have time to fix things during the testing phase. Builders must declare in the private subforum who their testers are. Testing can be conducted in the private builder's subforum, either by other builders in the competition or by the experienced in-house beta testers that will be available. Builders can have their level tested independently, but you must declare who the testers are. Externally sourced testers must also protect the anonymity of the builders and levels and will not have access to the builder's sub-forum. Externally sourced testers may participate in the player's guessing competition, but obviously any levels that they tested will not be counted in their guessing tally, since they already know the builder identity of the level(s) that they have tested.

Time wasters:
Each year the Back To Basics builder's competition is inundated with a huge number of potential builder registrations. Of these registrations perhaps 15-20% end up as released levels for the competition. Whilst most registrations are genuine, and there are real reasons why builders end up not building a level or levels are not completed, there is a small percentage of what appear to be 'token' registrations by builders who never take part in the builder's sub-forums nor show any input towards this community event. This situation will be monitored, and any non-active builders may be removed from access to the builder's subforum and possibly excluded from future Back to Basics registrations.
Registration somewhat relies on the honesty and integrity of the TRLE community. If you are not seriously intending to build a level for the competition, then don't register. Yes, this mean those of you who just want to take a peak at the building package contents but have no intention to build in the competition. The builder's wad and tga will be released publically at the end of the competition, so no-one will miss out.

Regards and best wishes for a great build

Scott (EssGee)

Official BtoB 2014 banner link - add it to your signature to promote the competition
http://www.trle-hosting.net/levels/2014 ... anner1.jpg

Registered builders list: (Final)

1 Larafan25
2 Thor2010 (THOR)
3 Yoav
4 Zreen
5 Soul
6 VoodooChild97
7 BigFoot
8 rowadie
9 Zebra
10 Larabiker301
11 mugs
12 Mytly
13 DJ Full
14 Oxy
15 Marksdad
16 Isis
17 Laralives
18 Gerty
19 Dino
20 Mordyga
21 Axelia
22 FreakRaider
23 Amethyste
24 Raider99
25 Tombraider95
26 Mrshina
27 TimJ
28 Blacksheep
29 IvanTRFan
30 Matrix54
31 tombraiderxii
32 AgentXP
33 Matie
34 A_De
35 Thierry Stoorne
36 Greywolf
37 Dutchy
38 Ader
39 José
40 Mman
41 Sinead
42 tombraiderfreak
43 TrueRaider
44 Nina Croft
45 constantine
46 Arakanga
47 Bojrkraider
48 tombraider1703
49 Sabatu
50 EssGee
51 Mystery-King
52 Die Basis
53 Ward Dragon
54 Jesus C.Croft
55 Lara Croft (Nerkan)
56 Seilion
57 nimbys187
58 bagas
59 kettie
60 Uzi Master
61 rufierto
62 Tolle87
63 uranos1
64 Piper (forum nick: AgentCarmichael)
Last edited by EssGee on 01 Mar 2014 20:24, edited 21 times in total.
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

rowadie

Re: Back To Basics 2014 - Khmer Empire - Registration Open

Post by rowadie » 01 Feb 2014 11:23

Every day I searched this forum for exactly this post! And now it´s finaly time to say: Yes I will take part, again! I´m so exicited and happy... i don´t know what to say. Hopefully this competition will be as good as the last! But I think this will be no problem, cause this theme dwarf my highest dreams and needs. :2thumbsup:

Greetings rowadie
:D

BigFoot

Post by BigFoot » 01 Feb 2014 11:27

YESSSSS KHMER EMPIRE :jester:

ME ME ME ME ME :D 8)

VoodooChild97

Post by VoodooChild97 » 01 Feb 2014 11:49

I emphatically look forward to building and participating, despite a record that surely paints me as a time-waster. :dunce2:

I'm ready to work and succeed. :builder2:

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 01 Feb 2014 12:07

Khmer empire? Mmm, ok.

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 01 Feb 2014 13:19

VoodooChild97 wrote: I'm ready to work and succeed. :builder2:
I like your attitude. :D

@Rowadie, Bigfoot :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:
Jorge22 wrote:Khmer empire? Mmm, ok.
Thanks for your vote of profound unbridled enthusiasm. :lol:

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 01 Feb 2014 13:28

Will it be new Lara? She climb up like a spider. :)
"You learn something every day."

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 01 Feb 2014 13:46

I will keep posting a registered builder list (to date) regularly in this thread... so that the participating builders get to know their competition :lol:

So here goes after only a few hours:

1 - Larafan25
2 - Thor2010 (THOR)
3 - Yoav
4 - Zreen
5 - Soul
6 - VoodooChild97
7 - BigFoot
8 - rowadie
9 - Zebra
10 - mugs
Last edited by MichaelP on 01 Feb 2014 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 01 Feb 2014 13:47

oxy wrote:Will it be new Lara? She climb up like a spider. :)
It will be a new Lara, but I don't think she will be doing any spider impersonations. :D

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 01 Feb 2014 13:52

MichaelP wrote:I will keep posting a registered builder list (to date) regularly in this thread... so that the participating builders get to know their competition :lol:
Great thanks.
I can also update the first post as your list grows. :)

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 01 Feb 2014 13:59

Count me in - I'm gonna try. I've probably already failed this, but at least I'll make another epic trailer :D :D :D
woof

larabiker301

Post by larabiker301 » 01 Feb 2014 14:24

This time...I'll succeed! ...or at least release a level... :)
The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
-Paul Valery

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 01 Feb 2014 14:48

the banner alone just sucks you in - can't wait to get started! :jump2:
Of doggie candle fame!

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 01 Feb 2014 14:55

Count me in, love jungle and long lost temples :D
Oops, I did it again... Image

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 01 Feb 2014 15:50

Guess we're all in for a treat. :2thumbsup:

Better make the time to finish my run through BtB Venice before this one hits. :)