Moderator: Marksdad

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

A recent visit to Jersey

Post by rjb » 10 Oct 2010 21:13

:hi:

As those who frequent the Guess the Screenshot Game (GTSS) may know, my wife
(the famous and inestimable Jean :daisy:, mrs rjb) and I were recently away for 9-10
days, and we were visiting the Channel Island of Jersey. I've shown a few pictures
before (a year ago) and here are a few more:

1 and 2. The view from our hotel room, showing the harbour just below us and the
remarkable change in sea level between high and (almost) low tide.

3 and 4. You can see this even more starkly when looking at the Corbière lighthouse,
which is at one `corner` of the island. The second, low tide, picture shows that this
lighthouse is vital for when ships pass at high tide. (You can just see an approaching
ship on the horizon, to the right of the lighthouse in the first picture, which seemed
to come very close * 15 minutes later.)

(* ... but I assume the captain knew what he was doing :wink:.)

5 - 7. One reason we went at the time we did was because Jersey has an afternoon
air display one day, where numerous aircraft at different times fly around the main
bay by the capital, St Helier. (You can just see St Helier across the bay to the right
-of-centre in picture 2 - just a small town, really.)

Unfortunately, almost all the pictures I rushed to take (we could see most of this air-
display from our hotel room balcony) were appallingly out-of-focus, so we missed
pictures of the Vulcan (a very rare sight at air displays, as one [only] has recently
been restored, I understand - a majestic sight), the Belgian air display team, the
incredibly loud :eek2: F-16, the American Mustang, the German ME109, most of the
"Battle of Britain flight" display and, alas, much of the rest. (We saw all these but
my camera skills were not up to taking focused pictures, unfortunately, most of the
time.) I managed one shot of the "Battle of Britain flight" (L-R Hurricane, Lancaster,
Spitfire) but just as they were disappearing out of sight over the hotel roof :eek2: and
from all the attempts at shooting the Red Arrows display team, I did manage just
two that worked out quite well.

Jesus says: "Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I shall give you rest."[Matt 11:28]

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: A recent visit to Jersey

Post by Hitsumei » 10 Oct 2010 22:10

These pictures are great, rjb! :2thumbsup: Jersey looks like a really beautiful place.
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

Sad Git

Post by Sad Git » 11 Oct 2010 19:48

Guernsey is good as well. Come to Guernsey. :2thumbsup:

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 11 Oct 2010 20:45

great pics, rj! especially the fly-over - very cool. the tidal effects are pretty spectacular too. good thing those sailors know what they're doing.
Of doggie candle fame!

shandroid

Post by shandroid » 13 Oct 2010 16:50

Great pics, sir! I have to laugh, because when I read the title I thought, hmm...I wonder why mr and mrs rjb would travel to New Jersey?! Silly American me :blush: :-P

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 13 Oct 2010 16:56

shandroid wrote:Great pics, sir! I have to laugh, because when I read the title I thought, hmm...I wonder why mr and mrs rjb would travel to New Jersey?! Silly American me :blush: :-P
it is their next target :D

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by rjb » 13 Oct 2010 16:57

You know, I actually thought :think: of that possibility and almost entitled it "... to the island of Jersey" just to be on the safe side, but then thought "Naaaaaah, surely not ..." :lol:

(And guess which place New Jersey was named after .... :wink:)
Jesus says: "Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I shall give you rest."[Matt 11:28]

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 13 Oct 2010 18:04

we just might have to change your name to "the situation"! =))
Of doggie candle fame!

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 13 Oct 2010 18:26

oh, no, mugs.
You know who he is :lol:
Pop culture is pop 'cause it's everywhere - can't escape it. :|

hey - Jersey is not Joisey.
And if we didn't know it before, we do now :wink: