9%
Other ?
9%

Total votes: 33

Mezcal

Re: POLL : world cup 2010

Post by Mezcal » 05 Jul 2010 22:58

@Vimmers.....

It's been my pleasurable experience to enjoy both American football, and to appreciate the vast differences between it and the most popular "football," game on earth.

Without caring a tuppence as to which one was regarded as the "better," game, the only stupidity I have encountered in this regard is xenophobia and ignorance.

Best regards,

Mezcal
Estragon: “We always find something, eh Didi, to give us the impression we exist?”
Vladimir: “Yes, yes, we're magicians.”

Waiting for Godot: Samuel Beckett

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 06 Jul 2010 15:28

Hmm... I'm quite aware it's none of my business, or maybe I'm naive, but I don't think anybody here was xenophobic. Regarding ignorance, I know nothing of American football and a lot of other things but my personal, subjective, opinion is that it does look excessively violent. So does some other game whose name I don't recall at the moment, created or based on an American Indian game, that looks even more so. That doesn't make me a fan. And it may mean something. But to each their own. I also don't like bullfights but I dislike it when politically correct/so modern activists want to simply prohibit tradition. I think we're on several negative paths right now, of different sorts, and one of them is the prohibitionist trend "for the sake of all" in too many aspects that may ultimately lead to dictatorship and darkness.

EDIT: Oh, and of course I wasn't speaking of anyone here since generally people seem democratic enough.

EDIT2: Oh again, I also don't care much for football/soccer, which seems a bit uncommon. But I'm not totally ignorant on the field and I simply like to follow the European and World Cups. I promise that's the last edit. :D

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 07 Jul 2010 22:54

:star:
"You learn something every day."

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 09 Jul 2010 03:55

I didn't have a lot of time to watch most of the matches, but I did watch Argentina vs. Germany and Paraguay vs. Spain. Paraguay and Spain seemed evenly matched for most of the game. And Germany really crushed Argentina.

I'll be able to watch the Spain vs. Holland match on Sunday. It sounds exciting because neither team won the world cup yet.

I love the way Univision covers soccer games honestly ^^.

Other sports are interesting too. I'm not a big sports fan in general, but I do watch soccer during the world cup (and I did watch the Euro Cup in 2008).

When I was 10 years old, I loved baseball, basketball, American football, hockey, collected cards, played NFL Gameday and Triple Play 98...but the interest waned somewhat. College sports fans who were rude against the opposing team turned me off from attending another college basketball match, sadly (doing one's best is great, but one also needs to be courteous to the opponent. There is no point in being condescending).

But then again, I've also encountered people who took soccer way too seriously. It's just a game.

In any case, I prefer doing actual sports (I will resume doing karate at some point) than watching it on TV.
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

eRIC
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by eRIC » 09 Jul 2010 23:33

I've watched only 3 games in their entirety : Spain-Portugal , Netherlands-Uruguay , and Spain-Germany
good thing that Spain is in finale - apparently the team with the best gameplay. According to my colleagues Ghana played well too. I've applauded when Puyol scored :2thumbsup:
However i think that Netherlands will win - won't be able to watch the finale , but it would be surely interesting to see that. Well football 's just a game that can be entertaining (sometimes) especially when this today team of Spain is playing.

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 10 Jul 2010 00:54

Nice of you to say so Eric, but according to Paul (the German octopus), Spain will win. :D

So far he has been right in every game the Germans played, so who am I to tell that it is all mumbo jumbo :lol:

hmmm that reminds me, I better start looking for a place to stay over when the team comes back and get their parade on Tuesday (whether they win or not). Don't want to be in the city then.
Oops, I did it again... Image

eRIC
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by eRIC » 10 Jul 2010 23:11

Ah yes i have heard of Paul , funny story :D
so far, nobody knows if the German octopus can "predicts" right a game where Germany is absent.
If he gets it right again, maybe Paul will have some promotion for extended competence :lol:
well, i also heard of a bird (a parrot from Latin America who also has never been wrong so far according to the reporters ) who picked up Netherlands for winner. :juggle:

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 11 Jul 2010 23:09

congrats Spain
and damn a bad public there was on the stadium
both Spain and Netherlands support was bad

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 11 Jul 2010 23:17

:fireworks2:

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 11 Jul 2010 23:25

I watched the World Cup final...it was very suspenseful because both Spain and Holland had their strengths and weaknesses. But Spain managed to score a goal at some point.

Congratulations to Spain! :2thumbsup:
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 11 Jul 2010 23:44

:lol: and the octopus Paul was right again :lol:
Oops, I did it again... Image

Mezcal

Post by Mezcal » 12 Jul 2010 15:17

Congratulations to a real World Cup Winner ... :bestview:

Shakira................. :fireworks3: Shakira................. :fireworks4:
Estragon: “We always find something, eh Didi, to give us the impression we exist?”
Vladimir: “Yes, yes, we're magicians.”

Waiting for Godot: Samuel Beckett

Linden
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Linden » 12 Jul 2010 19:55

Where's Finland? :-P

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 12 Jul 2010 20:13

He didn't mention Slovenia either. Not that we are that important. :D

Linden
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Linden » 13 Jul 2010 21:14

Oxy, its been a long time :hello:

I dont even know if Finland was in the football games. :lol: I tried to avoid it as hard as i could. :roll: