43%

Total votes: 108

Horus
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Back to Basics: Steampunk - info thread

Post by Horus » 23 Apr 2010 20:42

Hello there :)

It is time to find ourselves a playground for the next Back to Basics challenge! Please take part in the voting so we can pick a theme that most people will be happy with :D

The Voting

One vote per person, no matter whether you are potential builder or player. The poll will be open 16 days (until Sunday, May 9th). Please cast your vote within that time frame.

The Themes

A) Sagas of the North
Dive into the Norse mythology - build levels that take the players into the depths of Valhalla, Asgard, Midgard or the icy settings of Arctic Sea, Iceland or Greenland. Meet up our Lara with the Norse Gods Odin & Thor or the Valkyries - create an environment full of Underworld temples and villages, mystic heroes & beasts and have players chilled to their keyboard.

B) Lost Tales of Britain
Design a fantasy world linked with Celtic / Irish mythology - visit classic cult places like Stonehenge or Avalon. Take Lara on a journey through Abbeys, Monasteries, Churches and Castles and return her to the origins of the Ireland levels in TR Chronicles. Create magical worlds with druids, fairies and treasures, which will have players fascinated and let them escape from reality.

C) Steampunk
Steampunk describes an alternative history, centered around the industrial revolution and a time of inventors and fantastic new technologies and machines, like HG Wells' Time Machine or the steam engine. Design levels which show off grand scale Victorian, Gothic or unique new Steampunk architecture, storylines a Jules Verne could have written, set in a city or a temple or any place your mind takes you. Let the creativity of a new science inspire the flow of the level and original technology ideas be the surpirse factor that will keep players glued to the screen.

A huge warm THANKS to Michael at this point, who wrote those highly inspiring little texts based on my messy notes :D :hug:

After the vote I will begin to create the texture set and the objects for the winning theme. Building time will begin roughly around August (NO guarantee!) and end in November. The Sign Up for BtB2011 will start with the beginning of the building phase - so do not ask to join just yet ;)

Well, cast your vote if you haven't already! I hope everyone can find something of interest in the selection of available themes :smiley:
I am all curious how this vote will turn out :laugh4:
Nadine
Last edited by Horus on 07 Oct 2010 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Back to Basics 2011 - Choose the theme!

Post by Matie » 23 Apr 2010 21:06

All of them sounds great, I chose Sagas of the North :)

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 23 Apr 2010 21:07

Although I am a sucker for that Nordic theme, I am not so fond of ice :-P
So I choose Lost Tales of Britain.
Oops, I did it again... Image

Bojrkraider
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Bojrkraider » 23 Apr 2010 21:22

I don't like too much ice levels. Some ultra tech mystery levels combined with natural forces would be nice for a change. :D But I see that probably won't happen...

Sylwia
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Sylwia » 23 Apr 2010 21:38

Well Steampunk sounds very interesting and crazy, so I vote for it. All these themes are nice, so I wouldn't be disappointed anyway :)

rtrger

Post by rtrger » 23 Apr 2010 21:46

I agree with Sylwia. I've never seen a Steampunk level, it sounds intresting. :) (votes for Steampunk :D )

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 23 Apr 2010 21:51

My vote went for 'Sagas of the North' as I believe there are not enough levels in that category out there, but all of the themes sound enviting enough to potentially draw me in for another year :D

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 23 Apr 2010 23:08

Wow! All of them are fantastic! Will have to think before I vote as this was not an easy one :2thumbsup:
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 23 Apr 2010 23:28

I would really like to see a steampunk set from Nadine (et al?), but with steampunk relying so much (imo) on cool objects, and looks, would objects and textures for that not take too loooong time and muuuch work to come to exist ?
I wonder did you plan to incorporate Aquarela do Brasil and giant Samurai-Shivas into the steampunk pack ? :lol:

From what I have heard steampunks are already down and sad that Eya-dingens-jöküll did not put an end to the era of the jet engines. No new age of the Zeppelins. :(

not yet voting, because I also really liked the Highland Flings level and trlelevels built from there. And castle levels in general.
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 24 Apr 2010 12:52

I think, there are not many options. I would like young Lara or Nepal/Anarctica/Tibet/Alaska levels-not only in North. Or somethinng like India/South Pacific, Rome and many more. So the classes would be: Cold&Snowy or Jungle...BtB always had the one common class(besides Classic).
But if I haven't a choice then I'll take the Steampunk.

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 24 Apr 2010 18:02

Wow, very interesting choices! :2thumbsup: All three sound amazing, so I'll have to think a bit before voting. But I think my choice will probably come down to either Sagas of the North or Lost Tales of Britain. As intriguing as Steampunk sounds, IMO it's not a good idea for a BtB contest, as it might not appeal to a large selection of builders and players. :|

Sagas of the North is a superb idea in itself - but since the BtB levels are released in January, right after the month-long feast of snowy Advent levels, maybe the players might not appreciate more ice and snow? :wink: Lost Tales of Britain is another fabulous idea, but the castle theme is already being explored by the Complex Simplicity contest. :|

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 25 Apr 2010 01:23

Although Lost Tales of Britain could be interesting, I voted for Steampunk which sounds much more creative in prospect.

Eelkemama

Post by Eelkemama » 25 Apr 2010 13:40

I voting for steampunk. I think this is very intresting!

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 25 Apr 2010 16:16

Hi Eelkemama ! Hope that means that you will be joining the list of builders this year for BTB2011.
Of doggie candle fame!

Roli

Post by Roli » 25 Apr 2010 18:02

I've just voted for the Steampunk :)
Sounds very promising.