Post by mugs » 07 Feb 2010 17:15

it sounds enchanting, Snork !
Of doggie candle fame!

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Goodmorning February

Post by Scottie » 08 Feb 2010 03:51

Congrats to New Orleans :fireworks2: :fireworks4: :ponpon: :fireworks3: :fireworks1:
Resistance is futile

Horus
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Horus » 08 Feb 2010 16:03

While doing some research for my Essays I came across this study on the adverts for the Sony Walkman in the 1980s.
There is an advert (poster) with a woman at a pool with a Walkman on. In the reflection on the water surface you can see a male person with a guitar right next to her. Now, what they say in the text:
"This photographic trick is really a metaphor because - of course - the singer is not actually there. He is coming to her, with the hint of romance if not the promise of sex itself, through her headphones!"

What the hell? :stunned:

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 08 Feb 2010 17:29

If it's being administered through the headphones, it's much too small to give any pleasure.

Horus
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Horus » 08 Feb 2010 17:48

Ah, so you had some practical experience there, eh? :wink3:

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 08 Feb 2010 17:59

You mean you never heard of "giving headphones"?

_Kat

Post by _Kat » 09 Feb 2010 10:04

Oh well, the weather is still awful, but my Collectors Edition of Bioshock 2 should come today, so this is the only reason I woke myself up this morning :D

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 09 Feb 2010 14:11

Oh yeah. I have a terrible cold and I feel sick even though I have no fever. Still, I have to prepare a test, write a text, teach whole classes, give mid-term classifications, have a meeting with the parents and take part in something they invented (all day long tomorrow), named the Language's Day (just something to show the director, if you know what I mean). Funny. The teachers are treated worse each day that passes but are really so masochistic that they feel the need to work more and more and more to show how working and resposible they are. Plus, they look down on you if you don't do much more than what you're really supposed to. And then, the director evaluates you and your career depends on that. Well, I have a cold and I have to put up with that. Not only Portugal but also Portuguese teachers!

Ok, thanks for letting me whine! :D

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 09 Feb 2010 15:32

PDLambeth wrote:You mean you never heard of "giving headphones"?
:lol: A dirty mind is a joy forever :lol:

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 26 Feb 2010 08:48

Happy Friday. :D
"You learn something every day."

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 27 Feb 2010 18:53

Bad day for Mother Earth.
The 8.8 earthquake in Chile may bring tsunamis to Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand.
The whole of the Pacific Rim is threatened including the western coast of the U.S.
Predictions from Hawaii 'experts' are that the tsunami would be a series of big waves, rather than a wall of water which sounds much safer than a wall of water..

And then there is the massive icebergs set loose from Antarctica.
One massive iceberg struck Antarctica dislodging another giant block of ice from a glacier.

The new iceberg is 48 miles (78 kilometers) long and about 24 miles (39 kilometers) wide and holds roughly the equivalent of a fifth of the world's annual total water usage.
'Experts' say this type of iceberg calving happens from time to time and these are not record large icebergs........sounds big to me, doesn't have to set a record, it just has to be there.

Some experts are concerned about the effect of the massive displacement of ice on the ice-free water next to the glacier, which is important for ocean currents, while others are less concerned.
Sounds about right.....no one is ever really sure until it does or does not happen....so much for 'experts'. But to be fair, it is hard to know as much of it is an educated guess, not a certainty.

It's all a bit scary and more than vaguely Biblical.

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 27 Feb 2010 20:45

We had some earthquakes near where I live, but nothing that serious. So better enjoy as long as you can, you never know what might happen. :smiley:
"You learn something every day."

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 01 Mar 2010 18:09

bene wrote:It's all a bit scary and more than vaguely Biblical.
Armageddon outta here.

Horus
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Horus » 01 Mar 2010 19:21

As far as I know, so-called experts have always been wrong when it comes to predicting the melting/changing of glaciers and icebergs. Sadly, the ice melts away much faster than experts believed to be possible.

Codo

Post by Codo » 05 Mar 2010 17:32

Knowledge grows by predictions, errors and corrections. It does not simply pop up in a book or in a brain. ;)
Climate models are extremely complicated. They can only be as good as the underlying experimental data, but you cannot measure temperature, humidity, wind velocity and so on at every point in the atmosphere.
Furthermore, calculations for the future development of chaotic systems like the climate have the nasty tendency to end up in different results if you change the starting parameters just a little bit.
Remember the butterfly and the hurricane? This is an extreme example but it shows the problem. At least the climate models are good enough to show that we have a serious problem. If you ask me, a few degrees or years more or less is just a question of detail.

Science cannot deliver absolute truth. No (good) scientist would ever make such a claim.
We are just naked apes with a limited brain. Even our tools that we use to detect more things than our body can, have their limitations. Thus our knowledge is limited and probably will always be.
But the scientific method is the best way to get as close as possible to the truth. And there is not one single working alternative.
In other words:
You have to be careful, but you have no other intelligent choice but to rely on “so-called” experts, even if you know (and they know!), that they can be wrong. The alternatives are common but stupid.

-Make up an own opinion, based on no knowledge and experience on a complicated scientific issue.
-Blindly trust the opinions of self-proclaimed authorities and people you like.
-Believe what simply feels best for you.
-Find “proves” for your opinion in the obscure depths of the internet.
-Same for books, even fairytales.
-Take drugs to get visions.
-…

There is a huge difference between facts and opinions. Fortunately for us all, the scientific method is not about opinions. ;)