Ni Hao Shiyue / Hello October!

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

eTux
Mod
Mod

Ni Hao Shiyue / Hello October!

Post by eTux » 01 Oct 2009 08:51

你们好, everyone :D Thought it might be appropriate to start a thread like this, coinciding with the 60th anniversary of PR of China.

That said, it being barely a few degrees above zero, am slurping as much tea as humanely possible to shoo the coldness away before I drag myself out the door to the lectures :?:

Jay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Ni Hao Shiyue / Hello October!

Post by Jay » 01 Oct 2009 12:46

:hello: Just dashing in to do one of my 'once in a blue moon' postings.

Woa, Elvis, is it normally that cold in your part of the world at this time of year? I'm glad to say we've got a very pleasant, quite mild, sunny day here, but I see the forecast is for torrential rain tomorrow, so that'll be business as usual.

Have a good October, lovely people. :D
Time may be a great healer
but it's a lousy beautician

Moonpooka
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Moonpooka » 01 Oct 2009 13:00

Elvis, Jay and all :hello:

Rushing about as usual, so it's a quick helloweeee from me :D It's a lovely sunny day and i'm off to pick up my wedding dress soon. Still so much to do tho and more shopping ahead :annoyed: The good news is, i have my "future intended" playing Tomb Raider :jump: Not custom levels tho coz he's uselss on the PC and they are not as easy as the newer games, but he's completed TRL & TRU on xbox and quite enjoyed them :shifty:
We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Jay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Jay » 01 Oct 2009 14:47

:hello: Moonie. Glad to hear you've got the soon-to-be-hubby raiding. It's only civilised. :D Smartarse retired this summer, since when he's been complaining that there aren't enough new levels coming out.

I have no idea why he doesn't
just look at the older levels

:thinking2:

In other news, we BOTH now have keyboards that allow Lara to turn left whilst sprinting. WOOHOO. Well, I need every advantage I can get.
Time may be a great healer
but it's a lousy beautician

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 01 Oct 2009 15:11

sorry Elvis, here's another report of glorious weather from St. Pete Fl ! the mornings have been perfection - heat and humidity are scheduled to return tomorrow, unfortunately, so I intend to enjoy what's left of the day. Have a great one everybody !
Of doggie candle fame!

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 01 Oct 2009 15:15

Morning all :balloon:

Chinese?
Alright then - Happy 60th to 1.3 billion (approx) people.

Lovely, almost chilly morn here.
But the day will get progressively warmer *sigh*

Jay, congratz on the new keyboards.....Lara just does not like that sprint/left turn. :-o

And Moonie, you do know we all expect pics, right?
:)

vizz

Post by vizz » 01 Oct 2009 17:38

and a slice of wedding cake also !!!!

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 01 Oct 2009 23:23

mugs wrote:sorry Elvis, here's another report of glorious weather from St. Pete Fl ! the mornings have been perfection - heat and humidity are scheduled to return tomorrow, unfortunately, so I intend to enjoy what's left of the day. Have a great one everybody !
Oh, I don't mind others having great weather, just a little grumpy that it's so cold here :D To answer Jay's question - it usually doesn't get this cold here until November, but we did have a very warm and pleasant September, and it's just a bit of a shock that it got so cold so fast - apparently it was even snowing very briefly somewhere nearby yesterday :eek:

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 02 Oct 2009 11:52

Good morning everyone.

Happy 60th anniversary to China then. :)

@Val I can't wait to see the wedding pictures.

I've been quite stressed out, depressed and feeling powerless lately for various reasons. But karate helped me evacuate the nervous energy I had yesterday.

As for last Saturday's field trip, I was impressed to see how much precipitation plants could intercept in Greenbelt national park. The gullies and the groundwater recharge areas (very little runoff) were impressive too. I also saw a little creek as well as a headwater wetland (headwater wetlands are important for the denitrification of water, especially when nitrates from pesticides contaminate the water), and how the land recovered in spite of bad agricultural practices (come to think of it, the badly organized agriculture in Greenbelt is comparable to the badly structured overly car-centered infrastructure of Maryland suburbia, where it somehow takes longer to get anywhere on foot or by public transportation than by car. I wish the infrastructure were better organized, more coherent, friendlier to people who take the bus or the train or the bicycle...I also wish that public transportation were expanded to places such as Annapolis, the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland and I wish that the public transportation system were less disjointed and more updated. I like going to school with public transportation stress-free and listening to my Sony Ipod without worrying about aggressive drivers, traffic, gas, planned obsolescence, repairs, car insurance, parking and accidents) that led to massive soil erosion (then the land was abandoned and reconverted into a park). However, the chiggers are really annoying bugs that are nearly invisible to the naked eye.

But I have some good news: I got promoted in karate on Tuesday night. I now have a white belt with a green ribbon (1 step above white belt). Maybe I'll be strong enough for geology field camp by next summer.

edit: Fortunately, the senior thesis presentation was absolutely great as well. I need to keep it up.
If anyone wants to read the powerpoint I've made, feel free to PM me so that I can send it by email.
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

rtrger

Post by rtrger » 03 Oct 2009 18:41

Happy birthday Daffy! :D :jump3: :hug: :fireworks4:

daffy

Post by daffy » 03 Oct 2009 18:46

Waou ! Here is a small word which very pleases me, it is really nice ! :wink:

Thank you rtrger ! :2thumbsup:
Thank you for excusing the poverty of my English, sometimes I have me even the trouble to understand me... ! :dunno:

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 03 Oct 2009 20:08

:bday: wishing you many happy returns, daffy !!
Of doggie candle fame!

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 03 Oct 2009 20:18

and from me:

:balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :daisy: :party3:
Happiness today and always.

daffy

Post by daffy » 03 Oct 2009 21:28

Mugs, Bene, one thank you very much to you two ! :up:
Thank you for excusing the poverty of my English, sometimes I have me even the trouble to understand me... ! :dunno:

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 03 Oct 2009 21:58

Happy birthday Daffy! :) :bday:
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"