Moderator: Marksdad

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by rjb » 28 Feb 2008 16:59

Spike wrote:
rjb wrote:5.2 is 10 times worse than 4.2
Ooh, they never told us that in Geography. :eek2:
That's why these earthquakes in other parts of the world, measured at 'only' 6.5, which doesn't 'sound' much worse, are in fact devastating. (The Richter Scale is logarithmic [ah, you won't do that in school anymore, I guess :)] - think of it as being a bit like 'indices': 3-cubed is a lot bigger than 3-squared, etc.)
Spike wrote:At least we should be thankful we live in the centre of the plates, so that the earthquakes aren't as bad as they could have been. :anxious:
Yes, not like the Pacific Rim countries, eg: Chile, Peru (recently), Western Australia, Japan (Kobe, several years ago), Vietnam, eastern China and California are all subject to worse than the UK is ever likely to have. (There was a huge earthquake in Alaska in 1964 that caused a massive tidal wave - caught on camera, as was the more recent Kobe quake.)
Jesus says: "Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I shall give you rest."[Matt 11:28]

Spike
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Spike » 28 Feb 2008 17:20

rjb wrote:The Richter Scale is logarithmic [ah, you won't do that in school anymore, I guess :)]
Actually, we do those in A-Level maths, they seem to pop up an awful lot in the 'Pure Core' modules. :)

I prefer Algorithms to Logarithms in Maths though, but I occasionally get them mixed up as they sound similar. :tongue2: I doubt my exam results could possibly get mixed up though...

Algorithms: A
Pure Core (Logarithms): Fail

Quite a difference, as you can see. :lol:

GeckoKid
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by GeckoKid » 28 Feb 2008 17:55

Spike wrote:
it's just you who has no common sense, richard :D :D

Spike
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Spike » 28 Feb 2008 18:00

at least i wouldn't get stressed out with taking 3 and 7 away from numbers, richard :D :D

Jenni

Post by Jenni » 28 Feb 2008 20:52

Spike wrote:
rjb wrote:5.2 is 10 times worse than 4.2

At least we should be thankful we live in the centre of the plates, so that the earthquakes aren't as bad as they could have been. :anxious:
Harden up people! New Zealand is smack in the middle of 2 plates so get earthquakes all the time - just this month alone we've had two with a magnitude of 5.
http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/qua ... uakes.html
http://www.orc.govt.nz/Images/ContentIm ... _fault.jpg

:sleeping2:

GeckoKid
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by GeckoKid » 28 Feb 2008 21:08

Spike wrote:at least i wouldn't get stressed out with taking 3 and 7 away from numbers, richard :D :D
that wasn't the worst part, it's the flickering "pick odd/even numbers in a row" thing that worn me out... and you have to do it repeatedly 6 times :S

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by rjb » 28 Feb 2008 21:39

@ Jenni: Yes, reinforces the whole, "The UK is fortunate indeed" feeling :eek2:. (And I thought NZ was a nice place to live 8).)
Jesus says: "Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I shall give you rest."[Matt 11:28]

Moonpooka
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Moonpooka » 28 Feb 2008 21:50

Other than that... this has driven me nuts all day

3 housemates agree to share all the bills equally. The TV blows up so they need to buy a new one. They see one in a shop priced £30, they all put in £10 each. The assistant tells his boss he sold the TV for £30, but his boss says he only wanted £25 for it, so the assistant goes to find the customers; realising he can't split £5 between 3 people. So he gives them each £1 back and pockets £2 himself. So each customer paid £9 each for the TV, the assistant got £2 .. where is the spare £1?

Apparently there is no answer to it.. :?
We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 28 Feb 2008 22:05

I am surprised You have never come across this classic before.
And I am not telling you .... This works only once in life for everyone, so I don't want to spoil the fun for you (well, maybe it works more than once in life for folks still using duodecimal :? )
One nice thing about this 'riddle' is that if you use smaler numbers, you can even do counting up with your fingers and still come up with a mess :lol:

All this earthquake stuff, I can't help it, it made me think of Isis' Storyline for Lara and the pit.
Worth a re-read http://www.trle.net/reviewsearch/levelf ... p?lid=1595
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

Spike
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Spike » 28 Feb 2008 22:17

That riddle is really confusing. :eek2:

Isis' story for that level is really great though, I laugh every time I read it. :D Coincidentally, Isis has just released another level too! :2thumbsup:

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 28 Feb 2008 23:13

Moonpooka wrote:Other than that... this has driven me nuts all day

3 housemates agree to share all the bills equally. The TV blows up so they need to buy a new one. They see one in a shop priced £30, they all put in £10 each. The assistant tells his boss he sold the TV for £30, but his boss says he only wanted £25 for it, so the assistant goes to find the customers; realising he can't split £5 between 3 people. So he gives them each £1 back and pockets £2 himself. So each customer paid £9 each for the TV, the assistant got £2 .. where is the spare £1?

Apparently there is no answer to it.. :?
They payed 27£ for TV - from those 27 2 went to his pocket.

TV costed 25 not 30.
"You learn something every day."

beachnutt

Post by beachnutt » 01 Mar 2008 02:36

:sombrero:
Hi All-
I'M BAAAACK! Just got back from my trip to Mexico and I must say that I didn't miss you guys at all! I had a wonderful time of sun, surf, sand and MANY shots of TEQUILA! Now I need to recuperate before going back to work on Monday! :D :D :D
Go on! Dance like nobody is watching!

Magnus
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Magnus » 01 Mar 2008 15:18

beachnutt wrote:I'M BAAAACK! Just got back from my trip to Mexico and I must say that I didn't miss you guys at all!
That's okay - we didn't even notice you were gone.

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 01 Mar 2008 15:23

I noticed. :bestview:
"You learn something every day."

Neso

Post by Neso » 01 Mar 2008 15:38

Goodbye February, loved your 29 days :wink:
Image Image