Hehe, you reads Kar(o)l May :2thumbsup: :D
Resistance is futile

Sylwia
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: The Travels of Ms. Lara Croft....

Post by Sylwia » 04 Oct 2010 23:13

@ bene
Thank you :). I have made it a long time ago, myself. Just ordinary carton box with Laras printed pictures. But as long I will be need pens (and I will), this holder would be useful to me ;)

@ Scottie
Good eye you have :2thumbsup: This are my mothers books from childhood to be more precise. Now I have them... and they wait for next generation though ;). Good books never gets old :D

Jawi

Post by Jawi » 05 Oct 2010 21:24

Ohhhh, Sylwia you read the same kind of books as me :) maybe not Marco Polo's like stuff, but in general the same. And you most surprised me with Szklarski's book. I thought no one really reads them these days. That's a pity, because they're great (maybe not the last one about Egypt - other author=other style=not the same series. It's like with "Pan Samochodzik" and Zbigniew Nienacki). Have you read them all?

Sylwia
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Sylwia » 05 Oct 2010 22:09

"Przygody Tomka" it was my mothers favorite series, so I have a lot books by Szklarski in my "library" :). In photo you can see only one shelf, but I have many, many more ;). I come from reading lovers family ;) My brother instead love SF and fantasy books, I specially like books about animals, so profile is really large ;). About Nienacki, when I was in school "Księga Strachów" was obligatory book.

Jawi

Post by Jawi » 05 Oct 2010 22:55

I see. Well, in my home books have become a problem, because we start running out of place. My dad even left some place in the garage for them :D . My sister also likes fantasy books (me either, but not so much as she does) especially Sapkowski, Pratchett and Kossakowska. We're also big fans of "Jeżycjada" which is a great Polish book series. Currently I'm reading "D'Artagnan" from Aleksander Dumas. I have read "Three Musketeers" already, so I've started with this one. Along with it I'm also reading "The Science of Discworld II: The Globe", "Old man and the sea" and "Z kamerą i strzelbą przez Mato Grosso" (not sure how it translates to English). What's interesting, author of this last book has discovered Vilcabamba in Peru along with his wife, Elżbieta Dzikowska, another Polish explorer. He died in Warsaw.
Anyway, I don't have much time to read because of my school, but I enjoy it a lot! :D

Sylwia
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Sylwia » 08 Oct 2010 21:05

It's good that some young people read more then beer labels :wink:
My favorite book series is All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot :2thumbsup: When I was small I loved Doctor Dolittle, Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling, Black Beauty by Anna Sewell etc. all animals thread kind of books.
Then my I started read book with my brother, so all kind of SF (good and less good ;) ), fantasy ones: Dragon Lance series, Lord of the Ring (obviously), Sapkowski (Wiedźmin) etc. And Harry Potter :D
Now, like you I don't have much time to read, and books roll battle for my attention with movies :wink:

Linden
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Linden » 18 Oct 2010 22:47

I just saw the world map for the first time now and noticed that the place where it points in Finland is far away where i live and where Lara was at my place. Of course no-one here knows exactly where i live but to show the correct spot where the Lara doll was almost 7 year ago:

The spot where the map points ... there are mostly polar bears and penguins riding with reindeers. :wink2: :lol:

maxchen

Post by maxchen » 02 Nov 2010 04:56

hello everyone , Can Ms. Lara Croft travel to China ? I can take her to a 2200 years old ancient tomb for a real tomb adventure.And the Great Wall, The The Forbidden City........and even more

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 02 Nov 2010 06:47

sounds good maxchen
its about time she leaves poland

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by rjb » 02 Nov 2010 12:15

Sounds fantastic! :fireworks1:
"Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I shall give you rest."[Matt 11:28]

maxchen

Post by maxchen » 03 Nov 2010 02:32

yeah,there are so many ancient artifacts ,tombs,architecture in China waiting for Lara to explore.Looking forward to it.

Sylwia
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Sylwia » 28 Nov 2010 16:42

Time to say goodbye... Well, to be more precise I said goodbye to Lara on Tuesday. Now she is still travel to Portugal to Jorge22 I think :). I was kind of busy, but finally now I have some free time, to write a post and put photos from last days and a little bonus ;).

Anyway the last place which Lara visit was City Center. In Warsaw most conspicuous building is of course Palace of Culture and Science. Build from 1952 to 1955. From 1955 to 1957 it was the tallest building in Europe ;). Still is the tallest building in Warsaw, 231 m hight. Following to Wiki "There are 3288 rooms on 42 floors, with an overall area of 123,000 m², containing cinemas, theatres, museums, offices, bookshops, a large conference hall for 3000 people, and an accredited university, Collegium Civitas on the 11th and 12th floors of the building. The building was originally known as the Joseph Stalin Palace of Culture and Science, but in the wake of destalinization the dedication to Stalin was revoked. Many Poles initially hated the building because they considered it to be a symbol of Soviet domination, and at least some of that negative feeling persists until today." That's true, but IMHO Palace always been, and always will be the central part of the capitol, and even after many years is still impressive.

City Gallery - shops, cafeterias etc.

And last view on Warsaw Center on professional picture:

And now it's time for little bonus ;) I thought that culture is not only a architecture, but also food ;). I made some pictures of traditional Polish dishes. I want to do a lot of more photos, but finally I made only 3 meals.

Fist is pierogi. "Pierogi are half circular dumplings of unleavened dough, stuffed (singularly or in various combinations) with mashed potatoes, cheese, cabbage, sauerkraut, meat, mushrooms, spinach, or other ingredients depending on the cook's personal preferences. Dessert versions of the dumpling can be stuffed with a fresh fruit filling, such as cherry, strawberry, saskatoon berry, raspberry, blueberry, peach, plum, or apple; stoned prunes are sometimes used." My favourite are with cabbage & mushrooms (on photo), meat and white cheese. And also with strawberries.

Second is kotlet schabowy. Kotlet schabowy is a Polish variety of pork cutlet coated with breadcrumbs similar to Viennese schnitzel, but made of pork tenderloin (with the bone or without), or with pork chop. It's a really popular dish on Polish tables. The most classical is served with cooked cabbage, but it's quite stodgy (like many traditional Polish dishes), so I change it to yellow beans. In bowl you can see mizeria, it's salad from cucumber and sweet cream.

And the last are knedle, large round poached or boiled potato or bread dumplings, made without yeast. In Poland the most popular are with plums. It's reeealy sweet and tasty :D

Phew :sweatdrop: The end :) I will be miss Lara and I hope she enjoyed stay with me just as I enjoyed it. The last picture with Polish travelling equipment :D :hi:

oxy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by oxy » 28 Nov 2010 16:57

And where is picture of you, Sylwia? :D
"You learn something every day."

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 28 Nov 2010 16:58

You're a great ambassador for Poland, Sylwia and a great cook!
Those pics got me hungry :)

I've had pierogi but yours look better and ours were good!

rtrger

Post by rtrger » 28 Nov 2010 16:59

Very good pictures! The final ones are mouthwatering, especially the kneedle. :D I'm hungry now. :lol:
oxy wrote:And where is picture of you, Sylwia? :D
The public screams for one, yes. :)