Stay safe at home !

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Chel

Re: Stay safe at home !

Post by Chel » 24 Mar 2020 11:56

College students and the twenty-something crowd are still behaving foolishly here as well - crowding on the beaches for spring break and carrying on as if there wasn't a pandemic wreaking havoc. They interviewed a small group of the fools last week and surprise, surprise! 5 confirmed cases of COVID-19 already from people who were there. There will be more to follow, I am sure. Denial is not just a river in Egypt... I hope they don't go home to infect family, but since schools at all levels of education are shutdown I know they will. :cry:

Few more states here operating under 'shelter in place' orders. My industry is labeled an 'essential business' (because housing material?! I am grateful but scratching my head a bit!) so our facilities in CA and IL are still operating in spite of it. Have to put special papers on the dash of your vehicle or be pulled by the police. It's getting crazier.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 24 Mar 2020 22:54

The store I work for is classed as an “excluded store” so did not need to close but management have shut them all anyway for the safety of staff and customers, so I’m at home. Got some decorating to do so plenty to keep me busy.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 25 Mar 2020 13:19

Just been shopping to our ‘big’ Tesco’s. Police at the entrance off the roundabout with cones but they looked at me and let me in. Turns out it was “pensioners hour” and as I’m getting on a bit, I qualified. Police and security guards also by doors. Massive queue of younger people outside, but I was waved straight in. Only time I can remember when being old was actually useful! Shelves were mainly fully stocked. Even had some toilet rolls, but frozen section, biscuits, booze and cleaning products were rather empty. Rationing on all items. You were only allowed to buy 3 of any item and only 1 pack of toilet rolls. Much improved over last week where there was virtually nothing to buy.

lizard queen

Post by lizard queen » 25 Mar 2020 20:53

Storm Chaser wrote:
25 Mar 2020 13:19
Turns out it was “pensioners hour” and as I’m getting on a bit, I qualified.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Too funny!!!

We also have a senior's hour, which is the first hour of opening for most stores. And we're generally on the same kind of lockdown over here. All non-essential businesses now closed since midnight last night. No police at the grocery stores, though... not yet anyways. Stores are also out of toilet paper despite limiting quantities. Also no rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer anywhere to be found. And our health system is desperate for PPE. Some small local distillers switched from producing gin to producing 60% alcohol to make hand sanitizer and have donated them to hospitals and front line workers. Only then did the bigger distillers start following suit. :D

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 26 Mar 2020 00:13

lizard queen wrote:
25 Mar 2020 20:53
No police at the grocery stores, though... not yet anyways.
TBH I was rather disturbed by the presence of the police at the supermarket. It’s just not - as we say over here - British!

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 26 Mar 2020 03:16

I couldn't believe New York City would close roads to traffic...

I use roads for groceries, to get printing paper and ink and medical appointments requiring physical procedures (my doctor told me to examine both my gynecological and gastroenterological issues, and I need to be in the clear for two upcoming jobs)...

And who is going to do online deliveries at that rate for even food? Drones?

Pandemics bring out the most draconian restrictions. Albert Camus' "The Plague" stayed with me.
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 26 Mar 2020 13:06

I'm in a supermarket line, keeping the safety distance and hoping those tiny round, pointy viruses with huge red eyes and sharp teeth don't show up. Sigh...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 26 Mar 2020 14:30

In the meantime, staying at home, trying not to watch too much of the TV news but still watching some of it, one can't help feeling a little tense. I was driving and all that and I noticed what I should have already expected: the streets aren't deserted but things aren't normal either. It's what we're good at - the middle ground. Which is good as long as we aren't hit by something truly catastrophic.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 26 Mar 2020 14:57

Jorge22 wrote:
26 Mar 2020 13:06
I'm in a supermarket line, keeping the safety distance and hoping those tiny round, pointy viruses with huge red eyes and sharp teeth don't show up. Sigh...
I had a walk to the nearest supermarket today, about a mile (1.6km) from my home. I needed a walk and we are allowed to go for a walk/run/cycle once a day. There was a new regime where they only let so many in at a time, so there was a massive queue right down the wall of the building with all people roughly spaced 2 metres apart. Luckily I was not going shopping.

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 26 Mar 2020 23:39

I decided to do an evisit tomorrow, the hospital is one of the riskiest places to go right now. The call didn't give much hope in figuring out my issue, but we'll see.

I'm also losing hope on figuring out my issue. So if this doesn't solve my problem, I'll just live the best I can.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 28 Mar 2020 01:21

So with the new guidelines published today in England, we can now only go out for exercise locally to where we live, rather than driving to somewhere nice such as a park.

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 28 Mar 2020 19:34

Wow, that's pretty drastic.

I have to say even driving to help my mom get money from a bank helped with my circulation. Even though a pandemic restricts life so much, the restrictions themselves are going to require methods to cope with them physically and psychologically.

Well, I couldn't get really an answer from doctors for my problems. So all I can do is assume I'm healthy overall and live my life as best I can.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 28 Mar 2020 19:40

Parks have been shut elsewhere. Honestly, most places have been closed. And this is just to get a little time as there's no cure nor any vaccine yet. I think the US, with its non-existent healthcare service, are going to be hit pretty hard and it's going to be in history books. And it's obvious that the commander-in-chief is pretty help-waitforit-ful.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 28 Mar 2020 20:21

Jorge22 wrote:
28 Mar 2020 19:40
I think the US, with its non-existent healthcare service, are going to be hit pretty hard and it's going to be in history books. And it's obvious that the commander-in-chief is pretty help-waitforit-ful.
Yes, although I don't know if it will be in our history books, since many of us believe this is some kind of hoax. :roll:

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 28 Mar 2020 20:38

This virus is so vicious ... A 16-year-old girl died of it recently here ...