Moderators: Tinka, Phil

Phil
Mod
Mod

Search for the Holy Grail - Jungle

Post by Phil » 10 Feb 2019 23:40

SEARCH FOR THE HOLY GRAIL - JUNGLE

Level by (so he says) PedroTheGamer

Walkthough by Phil Lambeth, with the help of Doggett D. McDog's video walkthrough

After listening to all the dialog you care to without being able to see anything other than the load screen (FMV1.avi did not play in my game), hit the escape key to start the game. Slide down and pull the wall switch to open the gate. Note that you already have the revolver and the harpoon gun in your inventory, but with no indication of the available ammo (I checked; none so far for either weapon as it turns out, but you'll never have any use for the harpoon gun). Jump forward onto a sloped ledge, slide down and grab the edge. Safety drop into a trench surrounded by a shallow pool and pull out. Shoot a warrior and pick up the revolver ammo he drops (you can now keep track of your remaining rounds by selecting the "choose ammo" option).

Go to the SW corner of this large area and hop into a room with three fenced enclosures. In the one against the W wall is shotgun ammo, and in the one against the E wall is the SHOTGUN. Step on the trigger tiles in the SW and NE corners to open the gate in the S fenced enclosure. Go there for revolver ammo and flares among the skeletal remains. Exit this room and use the block on the S side of the pool to climb up to a higher ledge. Run to the plinth and take the LASER SIGHT. Combine it with the revolver, go out to the edge and look NW where you see the springing spikes. Use the sprint key to zoom in, look up from there and to the left until you see a brass ball in the vertex of a niche. Shoot it and drop down to the floor.

Go N toward some ruins and craggy rocks. Face the walls of the ruins (W), jump forward and back flip off the slope onto an upper ledge. Go S to the raised platform, pull up onto it, turn around and hop N onto a higher ledge. Run forward toward the flame blower and stand on a corner to open the door ahead. Crawl N to the opened doorway and enter. Step forward and take the flares and uzi ammo for the only SECRET in this level.

Exit this room and get back down to the central pool. Use the higher block on the E side to access the S ledge area. Use the raised platform ahead and to your left to pull up E in a crouched position for uzi ammo. There's nothing else to do up here, so get back down and go to the NE corner. Find the overhanging ledge jutting out from the ruins and pull up onto it. Jump across to the green-tinted N opening and follow to a flame blower that pauses only for a split second. You can get past it safely by standing at the corner and taking a side flip when the flames subside. Ignore the ladder for now and slide down onto a block. Hop down and follow to an opening that overlooks a lava room with many slopes. Drop down onto the block and save your game.

Take a running jump to grab the first slope. Hang left, pull up, slide and jump with a left curve to the next slope. Slide and jump off with Continue in like manner, with curves in the appropriate direction, until you can take a rolling back flip onto a flat surface. Don't dawdle, however, as you'll be spiked if you hang around. Continue with a running jump to the N ledge. Step forward to activate a row of spikes, and time a jump past them. Go through the opening and run across the bridge into the next room. Turn around and face S before taking the JEWEL OF APOPHIS from the plinth. An ahmet lumbers along the bridge toward you, and if you kill it in the opening you won't be able to get back out. You can either wait for it to arrive and try to kill it in this room while avoiding the flame blowers, or you can try to jump or run past it and kill it on the other side of the bridge while avoiding the spikes.

Either way, after you've removed the threat go to the bridge and hop and slide down the W side and find a button at the S end that raises a platform. Use the platform to get back onto the bridge and go down the E side. First get the flares at the NE corner and go to the S end to find a button that raises a nearby platform. This one is timed, however, so use it quickly to get back onto the bridge. Exit S, run past the row of spikes and save your game in front of the first slope against the W wall. Jump to grab it, hang right, pull up and slide, then jump with a right curve to grab the next slope. Hang left, pull up and jump to the next slope, jump with a left curve onto the corner slope so you slide down backwards. Back flip onto the the next slope, slide and grab, shimmy right, pull up and back flip to the final slope, slide and grab, shimmy right, pull up and take a rolling back flip to grab the exit ledge. Pull up and leave this area.

Use the ladder you ignored earlier to get back up the slope. Back flip onto a corner of the flame tile and side flip past it to the E passage. Return to the pool room and get back down to the floor. Run across to the S side and locate the red button in the wall next to a closed gate. Use the Jewel of Apophis to lift the gate and enter to face a spike trap. Get past it easily and follow the winding ramp down to a room.

Shoot the gem in the gargoyle's mouth high up in the S wall to raise a tall block. Use the nearby shorter block to reach the raised block and pull up from there onto the ledge beneath the mounted gargoyle head. Pull down the hard-to-see wall switch to flood the room. Turn around and look down to see that a platform has risen to block the exit from this room. Jump up to grab the ceiling and monkey swing N all the way across the room. Veer left a bit and drop to grab the edge of the gated opening. Pull up into the alcove and pull down the wall switch to lower a trap door at the S end of the floor trench. Crawl backwards out of the alcove and drop down into the water. Swim across the room to the opened trap door and find an underwater lever that lowers the platform that was blocking your escape route.

Pull out onto the S ledge and push the wall switch back up to drain the room. Safety drop to the floor and exit this room. Go up the ramp, but watch out for that spike trap in the corner near the top. Back in the large pool room, use the block on the E side to access the upper S ledge area. Go diagonally left where the platform has lowered and pull down the wall switch. Turn left and jump the blocks to the W ledge area. Shoot a jackal and pull up onto the roof of the building with the closed gate. Go up to the SW corner and pull down the wall switch to open the gate down below. Drop down, enter and loop around right to find a row of three wall switches. Looking from left to right, pull down the first and third to raise platforms in the next room.

Enter W and move the large stone from the NE corner to the SW corner. The large stone doors slowly open. Step carefully forward to cause a brief earthquake and a sound like someone peeing on you. Don't approach the pretty flower, or you'll be set aflame. Go past it on the right and hop up NW onto a flat ledge. Jump from there NE and follow the stone path up N (another deadly flower straight ahead). Continue NE into an open area and follow the stone passage to an alcove with a wall switch (cut scene of a gate lifting). Go back the way you came, avoid that booby-trapped flower and return to the room with the raised platforms. Just beyond it to your left is the opened gate. Enter and take the MASK OF IDIAN from the plinth.

Exit E to the main pool room, get down to the floor and run across NW to where you see those flashing green spikes. Approach the structure carefully from the side so you won't fall into the water far below. At the SE corner of the structure face S and take a running jump right through the grate. Face NW and stand jump down to a triangular ledge. Stand far back, face NE and stand jump with control to glide into the passage below. Pick up the large medipack and pull down the wall switch. Turn around and jump into the water. Watch what happens when you try to surface for air. Swim toward the SW corner where you can wade out onto a ramp and pull out left onto a ledge.

Turn right into the W passage and come to a small room. Jump up and down while firing your pistols at the brass ball suspended from the ceiling to make a trap door open in the floor. Jump into the water and follow the passage to a hole leading down. Follow to an underwater cave and swim S to a place where you can pull out. Follow up to a block in the NW corner and jump up to grab the ceiling. Monkey swing E to an alcove where you can drop in front of a slope. Slide down facing backward, grab the edge, pull up and take a rolling back flip over the lava pool to grab the flat ledge. Pull up S onto the slope, slide and jump to grab the ladder. Pull up in front of a plinth and take the BROWN SKULL. When you do so you're transported elsewhere and dropped into the water.

Swim N, turn right at the wall into the stone passage, loop around right and up to a higher passage leading to the opened trap door. Surface and pull out into the room with the brass ball. Exit E to the outside ledge and take a running jump straight across E to grab the far ledge. Pull up in front of a green-eyed monster and place the Mask of Idian in its mouth. The gate behind you opens, so go inside and wait for camera control to be restored. Turn left and jump to grab the ladder. Climb down to a ledge, go to the far end and jump N with control into the opening. Follow around to a crawl space, pull through and jump S to a block in the water.

Hang from one of the edges to restore camera control, then pull down the wall switch to raise a platform in the structure with the green spikes. Jump across W to the ledge and jump up to grab the ladder. Climb up one rung and back flip onto the exit ledge. Go outside, hang from the edge and shimmy left past the green-eyed monster until Lara's feet find the ladder. Climb all the way to the top and pull up. Loop around right to the SE corner of the structure with the green spikes. Find the raised platform and jump to grab it. Pull up, face the spikes and hop to the central block when the spikes are down. Pick up the quite useless CROWBAR and return to the platform.

Turn right, step out W (no spikes there) and take a running jump to grab the ledge ahead. If you miss, you burn and die, so gain a little extra running room by hanging from the edge, pulling up and doing a reverse roll. Pull up on the other side and place the Brown Skull in the empty receptacle on the right. The gate ahead lifts, so vault up inside and attract the attention of three natives. Hop into the fenced enclosure for flares. Enter the W passage, push the star-shaped button to open the door, and go into a room with a well. There's nothing in the water, so hop W into the dark area and run past the skeleton to bring the level to an unceremonious end.

TombTitan

Re: Search for the Holy Grail - Jungle

Post by TombTitan » 11 Feb 2019 00:48

The FMV at the start is the video from the exclusive "London Times" level in 2000. I finished this game and I did not see anything that resembled Dutchy's Sweet Memories level other than a similar (but not identical) drop down by Lara at the start and killing a jungle native (which is not exclusive to Dutchy's level). I don't think Dutchy played the entire level (and Manarch2's review is 100% wrong and blatanty biased--he obviously did not play the level). Anyone who plays the game will see that this level was not built using Dutchy's exact level because the inventory screen is different (not TR4), as well as all of the paths, areas, textures and puzzles are different.

Contrary to what Dutchy posted earlier in this thread, the walkthrough to his level is completely wrong and useless for the "Search for the Holy Grail" level. Also, player comments on youtube with Doggett's walkthrough for this level are very favorable.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 11 Feb 2019 01:09

Then the review I submitted about an hour ago may be factually in error.

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 11 Feb 2019 03:58

Phil, regarding your walkthrough and incomplete facts:

You have listed the intended route through the level as does Doggett. However, for those who like to criticize this level, there is a partially unintended shortcut where Lara does not need to use the jewel of apophis, nor drop down to the corner walkway with the medipak and switch to open the door on the opposite ledge and shoot the ball. There is a crack in the underwater wall below the ledge with that door. Lara can swim through it and go directly to the monkey swing room and get the skull. Then Lara can go back through the wall crack and get onto the ledge to jump to the ladder and go up. It is possible to jump into the rising spikes at the NW corner with the crowbar without raising the platform at the grate, and jump across to use the skull and end the level.

However, Lara can not do this at the start of the level after killing the first enemy because Lara will not be able to grab the floor where the skull is used. Apparently Lara must either get the jewel of apophis (but need not use it) or do some other task before that in order to be able to grab the floor after jumping from the crowbar area.

DoggettTV

Post by DoggettTV » 11 Feb 2019 05:59

TombTitan wrote:
11 Feb 2019 03:58
Phil, regarding your walkthrough and incomplete facts:

You have listed the intended route through the level as does Doggett. However, for those who like to criticize this level, there is a partially unintended shortcut where Lara does not need to use the jewel of apophis, nor drop down to the corner walkway with the medipak and switch to open the door on the opposite ledge and shoot the ball. There is a crack in the underwater wall below the ledge with that door. Lara can swim through it and go directly to the monkey swing room and get the skull. Then Lara can go back through the wall crack and get onto the ledge to jump to the ladder and go up. It is possible to jump into the rising spikes at the NW corner with the crowbar without raising the platform at the grate, and jump across to use the skull and end the level.

However, Lara can not do this at the start of the level after killing the first enemy because Lara will not be able to grab the floor where the skull is used. Apparently Lara must either get the jewel of apophis (but need not use it) or do some other task before that in order to be able to grab the floor after jumping from the crowbar area.
I noticed all these things in the level.
I can also jump into the small temple where the crowbar is without having to open the trapdoor.
I wanted to walkthrough correctly and loyally ;)

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 11 Feb 2019 06:36

Loyally to who

You missed this thread?
http://forum.trle.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31493#p775925

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 11 Feb 2019 06:42

me :D

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 11 Feb 2019 06:51

NOT funny :angry:

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 11 Feb 2019 09:33

TombTitan wrote:
11 Feb 2019 00:48
I finished this game and I did not see anything that resembled Dutchy's Sweet Memories level other than a similar (but not identical) drop down by Lara at the start and killing a jungle native (which is not exclusive to Dutchy's level).
Really TombTitan? Really.. ??
A builder that really built a level (every room) himself will immediately recognize the rooms he walks in, eventhough they are re-textured and stripped of all the gameplay that gave the level a high score.
Did you have a look at the thread in the Stuck forum... I have more proof for you if you like.. When you extract a PRJ file from the TR4, it leaves you with the Map, all rooms and gameplay, but the textures are gone. So you have to re-texture it. You remember the room where you got Secret 1 in "Pedro's level" (room 63)?
In my original level it is exactly the same shaped room, room number, rooms leading up to the secret room are the same number and shape. There's even a flipmap triggered there... same flipmap number...
The room where you jump a lot of slopes (room 70), the slopes are exactly in the same spot, same shape, entrance to the room is the same as is the connecting room. Only thing different is the central pillar which is deleted...
TombTitan wrote:
11 Feb 2019 00:48
Contrary to what Dutchy posted earlier in this thread, the walkthrough to his level is completely wrong and useless for the "Search for the Holy Grail" level. Also, player comments on youtube with Doggett's walkthrough for this level are very favorable.
:lol: I was being sarcastic

Die Basis

Post by Die Basis » 11 Feb 2019 15:01

Well, now Dutchy you know how I felt when Pedro ripped my Space level and claimed it as his own.

To bad I came last but one. :lol:

At that time, no one made a big fuss about it. But I was annoyed. I was really suprised to see that he was allowed to take part in the last advent calendar.
Because he was known for claiming other levels (or parts) as his own.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 11 Feb 2019 16:13

Since Michael locked the thread in which this controversy arose, I feel duty-bound to lock this one as well. Any interested party is free to continue the discussion - in a civil manner, of course - by opening a thread in the Chat About A Level forum (where it belonged in the first place).